PDA

View Full Version : SNES self-repair?

Melonhead
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, this just sucks. My SNES broke just now. I'm right in the middle of a bunch of games, and I don't know anybody else that has a SNES, so I figured I'd just fix it myself. Problem is, I have no idea how to do this. So, I can either try to fix it myself(the problem is where the power cord meets the system, and I don't want to kill myself/SNES), or just buy another. They're not that expensive, what do you guys think?

Dart Zaidyer
05-05-2004, 11:22 PM
I strongly suggest taking it to a Nintendo repair shop or just buying another one.
In any case, you should clean it with a cleaning kit before you jump to any conclusions.

AtmaWeapon
05-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Sounds like a loose power connector, and a cleaning kit will be useless in such a case. If you have a gamebit driver (available from lik-sang), you can open up your case and attempt to resolder the connection. It'd probably be better to either find a Nintendo Repair Center or to find an SNES on eBay.

Gerudo
05-06-2004, 12:51 AM
if you are in an area where there are video game shops (EBGames, Gamestop, etc), they should sell SNES's for around 20/25 bucks... at least the places in my area do...

Glitch
05-06-2004, 01:18 AM
if you are in an area where there are video game shops (EBGames, Gamestop, etc), they should sell SNES's for around 20/25 bucks... at least the places in my area do...

The ones around here usually come with free games too :D

Carmine
05-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Yes, I'd suggest buying a new one. I had my 64 repaired a few years ago because a pin or whatever in the cartrige reader came off, and not only did it take about a month and a half, but it was around 70 bucks! This was back when new 64's were being marked down to $90 with 2 controllers. Total screw-over-age.

I'm not 100% on the prices and all, but like Gerudo said, you should check out Gamestop. I think my friend picked up a used N64 and Zelda Oot all for 20 bucks I believe :cool: .

MottZilla
05-07-2004, 03:37 PM
If the connection is loose, and you are fairly handy with things, you can surely resecure the connection and save yourself a couple bucks. If not, try to pickup a snes cheap from any ol' shop that sells em.

Melonhead
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I just bought a new one for $30. I'll probably end up selling the old one on eBay or something.