PDA

View Full Version : How do I overclock my card?

sagelink
05-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I have an Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440, and I can't seem to find any overclocking programs out there. Before I reformatted, I had one, but lost it. I can't seem to find it anymore, so does anyone have any sites i can go to?

Starkist
05-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Here's a good site. (http://www.google.com/search?q=overclock+geforce4+mx&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Melonhead
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Powerstrip (http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm)

Good luck.

*edit* Or RivaTuner (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163)

Starkist
05-04-2004, 07:10 PM
I overclocked my MX/400 once, but it got a little too hot and artefact lines starting appearing all over my screen. I think it was RivaTuner I used but I don't remember.

Melonhead
05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
I overclocked my MX/400 once, but it got a little too hot and artefact lines starting appearing all over my screen. I think it was RivaTuner I used but I don't remember.

That means you were overclocking it too much. Once you get artifacts, step it back down to where you don't get them. That's what you should run it at.

Starkist
05-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Of course, overclocking an MX is like pedaling your bicycle faster on the freeway: You're a little bit faster, but still getting run over by the big ones.

AtmaWeapon
05-04-2004, 11:34 PM
MX series is a budget line with very little potential for overclocking. One of the great ironies of the OC community is that the most overclockable cards tend to be in the upper 80% of the price range. I'd say you'd do better spending $90 or less on a newer card, unless you are stuck with a laptop like I am.

goKi
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
I've used powerstrip to overclock an MX440, hardly worth the bother and possible risk to your hardware. Save up some cash, and buy a much better video card.

MottZilla
05-05-2004, 03:30 PM
I agree with what's been said already. Overclocking cheap hardware ussually is never worth it. Ussually the results aren't anything worth while. Nor worth the risk.

sagelink
05-05-2004, 04:02 PM
I already know that the geforce4 sucks. I have two systems, one with a 9800 pro on it. Since im going to get rid of this system soon, I might as well see what I can push outta this card before it goes "byebye"

teddyboy420
05-06-2004, 01:28 AM
The GeForce 4 ti is a actually a fairly decent card. The thing with the GeForce 4 MX series is that it is really the GeForce 2 hardware with a few miniscule changes. So overclocking it won't get you much, if anything. I had the GeForce 4 MX 440 meself and it really wasn't a bad GPU for what I paid for it, $40.00, couldn't beat that a year and a half ago.

Heh, and not to start a vid chip debate here, but your REAL problem is that ATI card in your other comp ;) I'm j/k, to each his own, I'm a nVidia man myself. But that's only b/c I've had bad experiences (sp?) with every ATI card I've owned.

edit: I've actually been toying with the idea of over-clocking my 5700 Ultra but haven't had the balls to yet. It usually runs at around 40* F, no higher than 46* even after a lengthy session of UT2k4 and the Slowdown Threshold (according to the specs) is at around 110* F. Sooo, I should be able to get more from it, but haven't really seen a need to yet as I haven't really gotten lag from anything I play. Think it would be worth over-clocking it?

gdorf
05-06-2004, 01:36 AM
For a budget card that overclocks well and will perform much better than your mx, buy a geforce 3 ti 200. Very good cards for a very nice price. I've used three different ones myself.

Currently, I am using my powerstrip to run my aiw 9600 pro at 525/770 from a stock 400/650, with no additional cooling. It doesn't artifact at all, and has been running like this since christmas. I can't wait to see what it'll be like with some decent cooling.

I also have a 2500+ mobile processor running at 2.6ghz from a stock 1.8ghz, but thats a different story. :)

sagelink
05-06-2004, 07:39 PM
i like nvidia better myself, also. I just pushed it as far as it can go... literally. You should see the chip on it. Anyways I just purchased another radeon offa ebay for 55, (radeon 9600), and once the x800 or the 6800 comes out, you can bet what im gonna buy.

gdorf
05-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Hopefully the x800, if you want to get your money's worth. :P

I don't care how much of an nvidia fanboy you are. Ati has been winning out repeatedly over and over again. Unless nvidia really throws us a curve (which isn't likely at the moment), the x800 will be the card to buy.

Melonhead
05-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Hopefully the x800, if you want to get your money's worth. :P

I don't care how much of an nvidia fanboy you are. Ati has been winning out repeatedly over and over again. Unless nvidia really throws us a curve (which isn't likely at the moment), the x800 will be the card to buy.

Yep, gotta agree with you here. The only thing I'm worrying about is how the x800 will do with Doom III, since from the results I've seen, the nvidia isn't as fast in OpenGL games. That's probably my main reason for holding off on a new video card until ~December.

On an overclocking related note, has anyone tried OC'ing the AMD64's? I heard somewhere they were locked, and the only one that you can OC are the FX(to prevent people overclocking them and selling them for more than what they actually are.)

teddyboy420
05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
If you read my post you would know that I am NOT a nVidia fanboi. I have had 3, yes 3 BAD experiences with ATI cards and will NEVER buy another one again. I have never had a problem with any piee of nVidia hardware I've ever bought. So there ;p

Anywho, yes, I would have to agree that ATI outdid nVidia in the last round of GPU's. The 9800 was better than the 5900 Ultra. Although, it wasn't by much, and even my 5700 Ultra wasn't very far behind the 9800 in all major benchmark tests. And I think the only real reson ATI's cards were better was b/c nVidia took a shot on brandy new technology and it ended up biting them in the perverbial ass. I don't think that will be the case with the next gen of cards just b/c the technology is a bit more proven.

As for the x800 and 6800, we'll have to wait and see. ATI is only now using the same technology nVidia started using in the fx series, which could mean that the experience nVidia has with it, could give them the edge. The specs are very similiar, and for my dollar, I'd rather put the 6800 Ultra in my machine just b/c I trust nVidia more. Here's a link to a review of the x800 at gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6095215/index.html) in it they compare the next gen cards specs. The benchmark tests for both sets of cards are hands down AMAZING, with the next gen GPU's I think it's more a matter of which company you perfer as both sets of cards post phenomenal numbers. The prices, while similiar for the 2 top o' the line models are the same, about $499 for the 6800 Ultra and the x800 XT. The 2 cheaper ones prices vary by quite a bit, $399 for the x800 pro, vs. about $299 for the 6800. There only real difference between the 2 cheaper models are that ATI's offers only 256MB GDDR3 RAM, while the 6800 offers 256 or 128 MB models.

gdorf
05-07-2004, 01:41 AM
On an overclocking related note, has anyone tried OC'ing the AMD64's? I heard somewhere they were locked, and the only one that you can OC are the FX(to prevent people overclocking them and selling them for more than what they actually are.)

Sure they are locked, and so are all the bartons after week 39, but that doesn't stop anyone from raising the FSB to high hell. People have gotten some decent overclocks out of the 64bit series, but nothing phenominal. I wouldn't recommend an AMD64 at the moment, especially with socket 939/940 right around the corner. With the lack of driver support for the 64bit windows xp, its basically pointless.

If you want a budget processor for overclocking, I highly recommend picking yourself up a mobile 2500+ or mobile 2600+. They have a.) guaranteed unlocked multiplier b.) stock voltage of between 1.4v and 1.5v, c.) higher temperature tolerability and d.) great record for overclocking. I have personally never heard of one that couldn't reach 2.5ghz with the right memory/motherboard. And they perform comparable to the 64bit series on most modern-day benchmarks.

As far as the best bang for your buck with video cards at the moment, pick up a 9800pro from newegg for a little over $200. Overclock it like a beast, and you'll have a killer setup.

Yep, gotta agree with you here. The only thing I'm worrying about is how the x800 will do with Doom III, since from the results I've seen, the nvidia isn't as fast in OpenGL games. That's probably my main reason for holding off on a new video card until ~December.

Well, its going to be a tradeoff either way. I expect the 6800 will perform better in doom 3 and the x800 will shred Half-life 2. Its been said (http://www.neowin.net/events/index.php?cat=2) that the x800 runs half-life 2 40% faster than the 6800. But, does it really matter? I guarantee that (driver issues aside *cough* nvidia *cough*) both of the cards will be able to play the latest in half-life and doom without a hitch.

sagelink
05-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Yeah... I agree. I've been looking online, and I've found some benchmark tests for both the x800 and 6800 ultra v1.1. Check it out (you can scroll to different game tests at the bottom)
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/ati-x800-30.html

**EDIT** Look at the FPS this card can pull in Call of Duty (vs the 6800)!!! Amazing! :clap:

**EDIT2** It is said that the x800 will have better image quality without giving up too much performance.

Melonhead
05-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Sure they are locked, and so are all the bartons after week 39, but that doesn't stop anyone from raising the FSB to high hell. People have gotten some decent overclocks out of the 64bit series, but nothing phenominal. I wouldn't recommend an AMD64 at the moment, especially with socket 939/940 right around the corner. With the lack of driver support for the 64bit windows xp, its basically pointless.

If you want a budget processor for overclocking, I highly recommend picking yourself up a mobile 2500+ or mobile 2600+. They have a.) guaranteed unlocked multiplier b.) stock voltage of between 1.4v and 1.5v, c.) higher temperature tolerability and d.) great record for overclocking. I have personally never heard of one that couldn't reach 2.5ghz with the right memory/motherboard. And they perform comparable to the 64bit series on most modern-day benchmarks.

As far as the best bang for your buck with video cards at the moment, pick up a 9800pro from newegg for a little over $200. Overclock it like a beast, and you'll have a killer setup.

Well, its going to be a tradeoff either way. I expect the 6800 will perform better in doom 3 and the x800 will shred Half-life 2. Its been said (http://www.neowin.net/events/index.php?cat=2) that the x800 runs half-life 2 40% faster than the 6800. But, does it really matter? I guarantee that (driver issues aside *cough* nvidia *cough*) both of the cards will be able to play the latest in half-life and doom without a hitch.

Well, what you've described is pretty much what I'm running right now, so I guess I'm good. :D