PDA

View Full Version : Clinton vows to present proposal on anti-Semitism in Senate

Monica
05-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Source (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=420956&contrassID=1&subContrassID=9&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y)

Senator Hillary Clinton sent a letter to a World Jewish Conference held in Berlin on Tuesday pledging to introduce in the United States Senate a proposal against anti-Semitism.

The letter, which was read by President of World Jewish Congress Edgar Bronfman, said that the New York senator would also demand that the United Nations also adopt a proposal against anti-Semitism.

The WJC meeting was being held ahead of a two-day anti-Semitism conference to be held in the German capital on Wednesday and Thursday. About 400 officials from 55 countries plus non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are expected to take part.

Hosted by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and Germany, the meeting will also be attended by numerous foreign ministers including U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell.

Also Tuesday, the leader of the WJC said that criticism of the Israeli government cannot be considered a form of anti-Semitism.

"Anybody in a democracy can raise criticism - this is not anti-Semitism," said World Jewish Congress (WJC) Secretary General Israel Singer in an interview with ZDF TV prior to a big anti-Semitism conference opening Wednesday in the German capital.

Singer noted that criticizing policies of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon could not be seen as anti-Semitism.

In contrast, denying that Jews have a right to live in their own state is deeply anti-Semitic, he said.

Wolfgang Benz, the head of Berlin's Technical University Centre for Research into Anti-Semitism, called on European states to take a far tougher line on hate directed at Jews.

"We cannot allow complaints about Jews to be raised in parliaments as has happened in some eastern European states," said Benz in a Bayersicher Rundfunk radio interview.

Benz said about 20 per cent of all Germans had latent anti-Semitic sentiments.

Singer warned that racism and hate were "coming back into fashion" in Europe in the 21st century.

The WJC is an international federation of Jewish communities and organisations serving as an umbrella group to Jews of all political beliefs and religious denominations.

Being Christian, I deeply respect the Jews, but I think the world has a LOT more pressing matters than worrying about Anti-Semitism. I wish the Arabs would leave Israel alone but the Bible says they will be struggling forever until the rapture, so I guess we just have to wait til then. What exactly does this article mean?

Axel
05-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Anti-Semitism is the origin of all our current problems, so yes I think its a major issue. Since the US is a target of Militant Islamic terrorism because of its backing of Israel, Israel is despised by the Arab nations partly through latent Anti-Semitism, and the nation of Israel was founded by the UN only in reaction to the Holocaust which was again due to latent Anti-Semitism.
Besides that since the Bible isn't a secular document it has absolutely no berring on national or international politics regardless of the beliefs of any individual. Therefore any mention of suffering in it is again irrelevent. Besides no one ever said you follow a prophecy to make it come true, if you don't like it ignore it, if you believe it'll happen then wait for it to happen on its own.

Monica
05-04-2004, 04:28 PM
It IS happening on its own. :) I'm not exactly sure what Hillary is trying to do here, but I picked up a Catholic Magazine while I was seeing a doctor in a Catholic hospital, and there was an article about the Bible being Anti-Semitic (this was shortly after the Passion came out) I just don't want whatever she's trying to do to get out of hand and be extremely Politically Correct.

Axel
05-04-2004, 04:31 PM
This coming from someone who was fanatically against any kind of swearing in the media?

Monica
05-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Someone said there was too much Christianity in the media. I said that Christianity had its own channels that could be avoided entirely while swearing and Adult Scenes were on nearly every channel, so therefore there is actually too much of that in the media that you can't really avoid. I also said it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't watch things or repeat words. My point was that the Anti-Christians couldn't really talk.

Axel
05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
why the hell not? In the UK there are very few restrictions on what you can put on TV, but many more on commercials. You decide what you watch on TV, if you don't want to watch something with adult language or scenes you don't have to. It's your choice and the fact that the networks can put it on TV only shows that enough people like it well enough to make it worth the trouble, therefore you have no basis to complain on a purely democratic standpoint. They'll only do so much as they can get away with, once the majority is insulted they're forced to stop.

Azrael
05-05-2004, 02:13 PM
mah, f--k the jews. We don't owe them crap. I seriously doubt their are a significant number of 'semites' left anyway.

Axel
05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
That racist attitude will alienate you in our predominantly Western and moderately liberal environment. We do have a small number of fascists who may agree with you though.

Ich
05-05-2004, 03:36 PM
*INSERT "MONICA WAS JEWISH" JOKE HERE*

Monica
05-05-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm not Jewish, I'm Baptist (and a quarter cherokee indian) :p Axel that's the point I was trying to make with Christianity in the media, thanks. :) When I entered that other thread, it was more to defend the Christians' right to have stuff in the media than it was to debate swearing. True I wish there could be stronger censors but I know because the Bible said that once what was considered right will be wrong and what was wrong will be considered right (I have no verse, that's what my grandmother told me) that that probably won't happen. I'm gonna have to ask her about those verses to see where they are. :)

plith
05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm not Jewish, I'm Baptist (and a quarter cherokee indian)

Lewinski, perhaps?

Monica
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Lewinski, perhaps?

Heh, I was called that in Jr High >_< She annoys me so bad. She broke a commandment and got famous for it. See my above post. :)

Ich
05-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Plith, you're awesome.

Cloral
05-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Monica only got famous because of the Republican party. Girls do what she did every single day.

Melonhead
05-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Monica only got famous because of the Republican party. Girls do what she did every single day.

Have sex with the president? If I were a girl, I wouldn't want to bang Dubya.

Axel
05-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Well he's more or less got something there. The correct statement would have been that most presidents have something they'd prefer hidden. Kennedy was notorious for sexual escapades. FDR died at his mistress' house. His opponents used the fact that he'd fathered an illegitemate son against Harrison in his election. The point is the Lewinski was the best dirt the Republicans could dig up on Clinton and it stuck. The Democrats have alot more dirt on Shrub, but it's not doing them any good. Politics is an ugly business.

And more importantly Monica, look back to the censorship post. You'll find strong evidence for the total absence of any right or wrong for them to be confused. Also see my first post, the Bible has no berring on any government policy.