PDA

View Full Version : Sig Size

Axel
05-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I just went to alter my signiture (added a new quote) when I discovered that you are limited to 500 characters in the sig. Naturally I found out the hard way, by having a sig well over this limit. Not I had to remove my shorter quotes and abridge the two large ones that were left. Now I like the idea of limiting the size of sigs, they're getting out of hand. But don't you agree that 500 characters is a little... short? Especially considering that with size reducing tags 500 characters of text don't take up much space, while those 500 characters can take up too much space in images.

gdorf
05-01-2004, 03:45 PM
You can pull an atma and place the quotes in an image. The 56k'ers (and maybe staff?) out there may not appreciate it, but it works.

It just goes to show that limiting characters is fruitless if you don't limit image amount/size as well. I am personally much more annoyed by large images in sigs than a few (usually funny) quotes. Face it, images are abused much more than text.

I haven't looked into this at all, maybe there is already a cap in place on images, but if there isn't, then why cap characters?

Pangolin
05-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Hmm, mines quite long actually. Must be close to 500. I tried putting a multiude of pictures on but it said there was too many characters.

Eckels
05-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Hmm, mines quite long actually. Must be close to 500. I tried putting a multiude of pictures on but it said there was too many characters.

why the fuck do you need a multitude of pictures. it's a fucking signature not a billboard.

Pangolin
05-01-2004, 05:11 PM
¬¬ ... Umm, okay then, Eckles, I just wanted to create a little shrine to SoA, that's all. Like you have a shrine to a fat baby.

Eckels
05-01-2004, 06:04 PM
i forgot i still had the fat baby, i've been using the zc theme (has no sigs). I was sick of her anyway.

EWild
05-01-2004, 06:07 PM
¬¬ ... Umm, okay then, Eckles, I just wanted to create a little shrine to SoA, that's all. Like you have a shrine to a fat baby.

Eckles... :rolleyes:

And it's a fat retarted girl, not baby if I'm not mistaken.

Master Ghaleon
05-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Sigs that have tons of pictures suck if you got dialup. 500 limit is fine with me

Axel
05-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I don't think having a character limit fixes anything, if anything it punishes those who have textual sigs while rewarding use of images. It would probably be more effectie to set a maximum sig size than a character limit. Of course I'm not the programer, the character limit was probably easier to code, which is why our all-knowing Shadowblazer went with it.

ShadowTiger
05-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Little known trick for making your sig bigger:

Take out ALL font / Style / Color editing from your sig, and type in as many characters as you can, until the 500 char limit. Then go into "Wysiwyg" editing mode, which gives you an editing style similar to wordpad in most browsers. (Use IE to be safe. ;) ) From there, you can edit all of your characters, highlighting them and clicking buttons and pulldowns to achieve the desired effects, so you can basically make your 500 characters as fancy as you want. These aren't counted toward the sig limit, so you can make your 500 char sig awesome. :thumbsup:

However, I find it relatively awkward that using a tag to reduce the size of your sig adds to the char limit. :odd: That's rather unfortunate. :disgust:

Starkist
05-01-2004, 08:34 PM
It's fine how it is. If someone has a few big images that annoy me, I'll just ban him. Everybody wins.

Axel
05-01-2004, 08:39 PM
The person with the big sig loses. And I lose because I wanted to have more quotes in my sig. I already had to abridge the Eisenhower quote to meet the limit. Damn you its a good one. No really read it. You know: Eisenhower, the last good Republican president.

Yoshiman
05-01-2004, 11:14 PM
The only thing that annoys the heck outta me about sigs, is when there's a truckload of useless images. I'm talking images that are as big as a standard postcard :disgust: .

Textwise, I don't care too much if the sig doesn't take up the whole screen and you can't even read the member's post.

Ganon's Minion
05-02-2004, 01:34 AM
It's fine how it is. If someone has a few big images that annoy me, I'll just ban him. Everybody wins.

lol. Luckily I don't ever have a big siggy anymore. *Ban Pangolin*

jk

But still, like some others, I see no problem with a 500 character limit. I doubt I'll ever use that many characters in a fricking sig. It's just a sig.

EDIT: And I just added a quote partly taken from Crystal Chronicles.

Gerudo
05-02-2004, 02:13 AM
500 is less that you think, when you are using text...

if you've seen some of the sigs at PZC, you'd be thankful for the 500 limit -_-;

ShadowTiger
05-02-2004, 08:41 AM
... You're a thug, Geru. :p

The limit at PureZC is 25 lines. .. No one really enforces it unless it gets to somewhere around 30. Here, 500 Characters might technically allow you the space to type "A ENTER A ENTER A ENTER A ENTER " a whole bunch of times, until your sig takes up about 500 lines. :p :laughing: Oh god, please ban anyone who does that! :laughing:

But again, if you really need to put a lot in my sig, refer back to my post here (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showpost.php?p=933365&postcount=10), as it really helps. :) Again, shrink the characters down, so it looks smaller, yet with 500 characters intact using my way. ;) :thumbsup: