PDA

View Full Version : metroid 2.....

mrz84
04-30-2004, 02:56 PM
you know how nintendo did a remake for the first metroid? why not do one for the second one too? i mean come on.....it only makes sense in my opinion. they just would need to update the graphics a bit as well as the color and if they wanna add in anything else (like unlocking the original metroid 2 when you beat the game or a gallery or something like in zero mission) then that's okay with me too. anyways, that's just something that poped up in my mind during my lunch break.....

Pangolin
04-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Metroid 2 was on the GB, wasn't it?
If so, that would be a brilliant idea, as the rubbish screen made it impossible to see anything.

vegeta1215
04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
My only problem with Metroid II is that it is so easy to get lost in the game since all the places look similar (the color limit doesn't help either). I wound up drawing my own maps (very sloppily too) in order to make sure I wasn't going in circles. Plus I missed the High Jumps boots the first time around and it took me forever to find where I missed them.

It might be cool to see a remake of Metroid II. Of course Nintendo knows all of us Metroid fans will shell out 30 bucks for it too :glare: I'd rather see a new 2-D Metroid though.

Linkman90
04-30-2004, 04:01 PM
if it had color than That would be great.

Orion
04-30-2004, 04:17 PM
I LOVED Metroid 2 :D. But I like it in it's current state, I'd rather just see them make a new game all together.

Mak-X
04-30-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm in the middle of playing Metroid II again right now, almost done. I'd love to see Nintendo/R&D1 remake Metroid II, with the original included of course. Considering how there never seemed to be anything specifically unique about the maps in general, they could just remake the entire game. I'd also like to see them spruce up Super Metroid for a GBA remake with the advancements in gameplay and play control that Zero Mission has.

vegeta1215
04-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I'd also like to see them spruce up Super Metroid for a GBA remake with the advancements in gameplay and play control that Zero Mission has.

Super Metroid is perfect - it should not be touched or changed in any way!

Yoshiman
04-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and see Metroid2 put into Metroid Prime2. It would be sweet. And wasn't there supposed to be a GBC remake of Metroid2? I could've sworn I saw one somewhere... Hmm...

Mak-X
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Super Metroid is perfect - it should not be touched or changed in any way!

Well considering how refined Zero Mission is on top of how great Super Metroid already is, the results would be magnificent! More Metroids in Tourian couldn't hurt.

I've heard some rumor that there was going to be a Metroid II DX or color version, but that's all I've heard of it, just a rumor. Unless its in an old Nintendo Power, I think the rumor started because people assumed that they would do a color version of Metroid II, mistaking the use of Metroid II on the box art for the Super Game Boy as an intention to update Metroid II. I think the Game Boy hardware has a special palette in it to make Metroid II look good. The Game Boy hardware was made by the same people who made Metroid. Metroid II: Return of Samus was rerelease as a Player's Choice game though.

Metroid II would make for a better unlockable on a GBA Metroid since its a Game Boy game. They could emulate Super Metroid for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes though.

vegeta1215
04-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Well considering how refined Zero Mission is on top of how great Super Metroid already is, the results would be magnificent! More Metroids in Tourian couldn't hurt.

Yeah, but the original Metroid needed A LOT of refinement. If they were going to port Super Metroid, I would want a strait port.

More Metroids in Tourian would be okay I guess, BUT THAT'S ALL! :lol: Any other changes would annoy me too much. Look at the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past port on GBA - it's pretty true to the original, but all the little things that are different annoy me to no end. (some of the changes are okay, but others like addition of Link's voice are not) http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/zelda_four_swords_changes.txt

MottZilla
05-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Metroid II badly needs to have a total remake. It's just a mess. As we all know, it's difficult to see anything different. They were so cheap, because the color limit could have been overcome by either a mapping system or a larger rom chip to have more unique graphics. Instead the whole damn game is like a forever going loop of utter boringness. Thanks to MZM, Metroid II is unargueably the worst in the series. :p

Btw, from what I heard, Metroid II DX was scrapped, something to do with other products in line being more important. Probably the LA DX and Super Mario DX things.

Warlock
05-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Yeah, as Mott said the game was a mess. I actually enjoyed it but when you look at how great all the other games are now (ignoring the original Metroid for Zero Mission) it is one of the worse in the series.

I mean, the game had some really cool ideas and structure to it, but because of the crappiness of the original GB, was executed fairly poorly. I mean, we have technically never had another Metroid game where we got to fight the Metroid mutations other than the Omega Metroid in Fusion (but I don't even think that was a M2 mutation). They were sort of shown under glass in Fusion but that's lame. But just think of what they could even do to the enviroments. You have those Chozo ruins all over the planet. Think of how impressive they could make those look. And despite the general lack of graphics the areas were still somewhat varied so there is a lot they could do in that sense. And every time there is an earthquake and the lava/acid level lowers some, they could stick in cutscenes like Zero Mission had (maybe show areas open up and Zeta Metroids spill out or something like that). The game also needs a few more bosses other than the Metroids. There is that rolly guy you fight for the Spring Ball and I can't remember any others besides the Metroids.

As for a Super Metroid port, I'd rather they just left it alone. I don't know how they'd handle controls but I'm sure they could do it. May not be quite as good as the SNES's controls but it would be Super Metroid on the GBA :)

Also, regarding Metroid II DX, I'm sure Mott is probably right. Another thing to consider is that Metroid was starting to become less popular in Japan. I can't remember when the GBC came out but assuming it was after Super Metroid (and I'm sure it probably was considering LA was out already and that was after LTTP - SM wasn't THAT long after LTTP), just look at how long it took for another freaking Metroid game. I'm sure somehow Nintendo was under the impression that M2 DX wouldn't sell enough to be worth it or something (at least in terms of their other projects like LA DX). Who knows..

Orion
05-03-2004, 12:38 PM
The game also needs a few more bosses other than the Metroids. There is that rolly guy you fight for the Spring Ball and I can't remember any others besides the Metroids.

I *believe* that's Super Metroid you're thinkink of. I could be wrong though I haven't played either in quite awhile. You're right though it would be sweet to see some of the other mutations come to life in a more "Advanced" way.

vegeta1215
05-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I *believe* that's Super Metroid you're thinkink of. I could be wrong though I haven't played either in quite awhile. You're right though it would be sweet to see some of the other mutations come to life in a more "Advanced" way.

You don't have to fight a boss to get the Spring Ball in Super Metroid. It is hidden in Maridia, and you have to let this green creature with long legs dig a path for you before you can get the Spring Ball.

The mini-boss is Metroid II is Archanus (he's in Fusion too at the very beginning - you beat him to get the Ball). I don't remember what he gave you in Metroid II though.

Mak-X
05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
He gives you the Spring Ball in Metroid II. I had a small skirmish (http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/game/index.php?m=200404#28) with that creature.

The Omega Metroid at the end of Fusion was a mutation, although resulted from the experiements that Adam hinted at that makes a Metroid go from larva straight to Omega. There's also the nice foreshadowing touch with the 2-3 empty Metroid shells late in the game in the SRX area.

I played through all of the Metroid games, finishing up on Metroid II now, in the last 2 months or so since I got Zero Mission. Playing Super Metroid after Zero Mission shows some of its age and how refined Metroid has gotten since then. I don't mean that Super Metroid is bad by todays standards, and that its not one of the best games ever, but that I think it'd be interesting if they reworked it with some of the advancements made with Zero Mission.

I think if they do Super Metroid on GBA, it might be more consistant if it were based off of Zero Mission. They might want to think about adjusting the Wrecked Ship anyways.

Orion
05-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Hm... I'll have to go back and play that sometime... my memory is gettin a bit rusty.

If Super Metroid were remade for GBA it would have to undergo some enhancements to compensate for control and stuff. I don't know what kind of effect the ledge-grabbing and stuff would have on it though. It might make a few puzzles easier but I don't know that it would hinder the experience that much.

King
05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
If I could release Super Metroid for GBA, I would:

-Increase the damage done by enemies
-Add new enemies/change the enemy placement
-Get rid of the Reserve Tanks
-Update graphics
-Add new levels and expand the old ones/redo them
-Add the Spider Ball