PDA

View Full Version : The Awkwardness of the Reply PM.

ShadowTiger
04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
You're probably going to think this thread ridiculous, but read on. You've all probably experienced one of these at one point or other in your span at AGN, and probably know how it feels. The last paragraph is the most important, so read it if you feel this is *god forbid* unintentional spam.

OK, someone PM's you. You reply. Then he PM's back. But are they expecting a response? .. But it's not the kind of PM that would be issued a response! But you never know if the other person is expecting a response based on that information! Know what I mean? It's just tremendously awkward! :eek:

I just recieved two of them today. I don't know whether I should reply with a simple "OK.." or just try to rest easy in the fact that I've read the PM, and they can track it as read and awknowledged. It's not like it's something that really needs a reply anyway. :shrug:

So if you Do send a reply PM with a mere "OK." it's more or less a waste of their time to read that .. "OK." But if you don't reply, it's considered rude for having potentially ignored the return PM! .. Oh, what to do.. what to do.. :sick:

theplustwo
04-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I'd just say KTHX.

ShadowTiger
04-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Lucky son of a... Maybe it's just more.. awkward for others. :shrug: .. Why? :odd:

DarkDragon
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Uh... if their PM seems to require a response, respond. Otherwise, don't; they'll be able to look at their read receipt to tell if you've read it. Don't overcomplicate things so much. ;)

Ich
04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
I prefer being contacted over instant messenge; I rarely get PM's.

Archibaldo
04-27-2004, 05:44 PM
I find it easier to just reply with some usless info. But you have to make sure you leave some hint that you read it. Or, just write at the bottom: Please don't respond.

moocow
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
I prefer being contacted over instant messenge; I rarely get PM's.

Same here. I hardly ever get PM's. I usually get contacted through AIM and bothered by newbies who think I can get them unbanned. Or newbies who cry to me about being banned from chat by Breaker.

Paradox
04-27-2004, 06:26 PM
You're probably going to think this thread ridiculous...
Quite right. I don't know how anyone can write four paragraphs about something this trivial.

Samson007
04-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Few days ago i sent a PM to someone, they PM'd me back. And I didnt know what to say after that! So i didnt, it felt wierd, but it seemed to be a waste to send a PM that says, "ok".

moocow
04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Few days ago i sent a PM to someone, they PM'd me back. And I didnt know what to say after that! So i didnt, it felt wierd, but it seemed to be a waste to send a PM that says, "ok".

You just said the exact same thing as BH4, only in a smaller post.

Dechipher
04-27-2004, 06:46 PM
You're so dramatic, BH4.

I get PMs about Official Guild stuff that I don't reply to....and War Lord rarely replies to mine....

Zelda
04-27-2004, 06:53 PM
yea i kind of know what your talking about but u just have to think whether or not u should respond.. if it seriuosly required a response they'll let you know if ya dont give them one

Riku
04-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I thinks its definently easier to just reply with a ok, so that they know you have read the PM. But like moo i rarely get a PM.

Rainman
04-27-2004, 09:16 PM
I never even get PMs so if I got one I'd probably reply with, "OMG you PMed me!" And thus, that person would never PM me again.

SixTen
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I never even get PMs so if I got one I'd probably reply with, "OMG you PMed me!" And thus, that person would never PM me again.
Similarly, I saw someone quoted me in their sig. I said something to the effect of "OMG someone quoted me!!" And they took the quote out very soon after that.

Ganon's Minion
04-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't think anyone has ever quoted me in their sig. :(
*tries to think of something wise to say*

A flood of words creates a drop of reason
OR
A warrior's sword is only as deadly as his mind

ON TOPIC: I NEVER get PMs, except in responses to PMs I occasionally send other memebers. hehe.