PDA

View Full Version : nerd alert

Beldaran
04-24-2004, 11:16 PM
New Star Trek movie in the works? I hope so! =) (http://www.trekweb.com/articles/2004/04/22/4087eed3394be.shtml)

slothman
04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't know why everyone hates the newest series' and movies. I don't mind more Trek stuff. Even if bad.

Pangolin
04-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh god I seriously hope not... I can't stand it!
One thing I have to say about it is, if they're all going at however many times the speed of light, how come they don't splat all over the windscreen when they stop? They don't wear seatbelts! They always fall over or out of there seats when the ger attacked! Its silly, if you ask me.

deathofspam
04-25-2004, 11:47 AM
i would assume they have some device to compensate and reduce any ill effect inertial would have on them

Menokh
04-25-2004, 12:04 PM
It's scifi, we ignore the problems with hyperspatial travel.
Enjoy the movie.

As for me, I like Star Trek movies. They are fun to watch.

Dechipher
04-25-2004, 12:09 PM
The laws of our earth do not apply there, else they wouldn't be able to go faster than the speed of light.

I've never watched Star Trek, but that makes sense to me. :shrug:

Menokh
04-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Well this'll sound nerdy....
Hyperspatial travel circumvents the laws of physics by going around or through normal space. It uses either higher dimensions or creates tunnels through space time, known commonly as wormholes.

As for Star Trek, I honestly haven't seen one of those movies in awhile so I'm not sure how they explain it away. Must correct that and see one soon.

EWild
04-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Yay! Trek! Though I wish thyere was a movie about after Voyager returned to Earth. That would be neato.

Beldaran
04-25-2004, 02:49 PM
The enterprise is equipped with Intertial Dampers, which generate an artificial "gravity bubble" of some sort that allows them to avoid being tossed about.

Furthermore, Menokh is correct in his explanation of hyperspatial travel.

Anyway, fuck all of you. A new Star Trek movie will be awesome.:)

Starkist
04-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Star Trek: First Contact was good, but everything in the eight years since has been mediocre. Instead of creating timeless characters and groud-breaking storytelling, each movie and series has seemed rather pedestrian. The last movie, Nemesis, was a perfect example of retreading old ground and adding nothing new. Hopefully the new movie will not be afraid to do new things, to explore character issues, and above all magnify the wonder that scifi can be. They should forget trying to please as wide an audience as they can, they tried that with Nemesis and got a mere $45 million in the theatres. Make a movie that is true to the Star Trek experience, and people will come. They can't do much worse than Nemesis.

They should hire Roc O'Bannon, David Kemper, and Brian Henson to do the next movie.

J.J. Maxx
04-25-2004, 03:38 PM
They should hire Roc O'Bannon, David Kemper, and Brian Henson to do the next movie.

Why don't we just scrap the Star Trek movie and hire those guys to make a Farscape movie. ;)

Beldaran
04-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Star Trek: First Contact was good, but everything in the eight years since has been mediocre. Instead of creating timeless characters and groud-breaking storytelling, each movie and series has seemed rather pedestrian. The last movie, Nemesis, was a perfect example of retreading old ground and adding nothing new. Hopefully the new movie will not be afraid to do new things, to explore character issues, and above all magnify the wonder that scifi can be. They should forget trying to please as wide an audience as they can, they tried that with Nemesis and got a mere $45 million in the theatres. Make a movie that is true to the Star Trek experience, and people will come. They can't do much worse than Nemesis.

Man, if I had to list my favorite Star Trek movies in order, it would be:

1) First Contact
2) Nemesis
3) Wrath of Kahn
4) Undiscovered Country
5) Voyage Home

I loved Nemesis.

[EDIT: Just realized that I accidentally typed "final frontier" instead of "undiscovered country". Stupid brain error.]

Starkist
04-25-2004, 03:49 PM
1 - The Wrath of Kahn
2 - The Motion Picture
3 - The Undiscovered Country
4 - First Contact
5 - The Voyage Home
6 - Generations
7 - The Search For Spock
8 - The Final Frontier
9 - Nemesis
10- Insurrection

Star Trek The Next Generation was a cerebral, thinking scifi show with little touches of action. The movie series thus far has been visceral action with little touches of thought.

Dart Zaidyer
04-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Yay! Trek! Though I wish thyere was a movie about after Voyager returned to Earth. That would be neato.

That would be pretty redundant after they did that to end the series, y'know. Not only that, but the Voyager crew is the most boring and lame of them all.

Beldaran
04-25-2004, 06:14 PM
That would be pretty redundant after they did that to end the series, y'know. Not only that, but the Voyager crew is the most boring and lame of them all.

Perhaps, but I really like Tuvoc, Chakote (spell?), Janeway, Torres, Paris... oh fuck it, I love all the Voyager characters.:)

tgf_guy
04-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Star Trek The Next Generation was a cerebral, thinking scifi show with little touches of action. The movie series thus far has been visceral action with little touches of thought.

Indeed. I watch Star Trek for the engaging storyline and the deep thought, while I watch Star Wars to have my eyes entertained. Directors: Please do not confuse the two.

Riku
04-26-2004, 10:35 AM
I think Star Trek is, not interesting because it looks very fake. But my dad likes them.