PDA

View Full Version : SNES Tile Ripping

King Of Links
04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
I really need a tutorial on tile ripping from snes roms. There use to be a really good one on AZC, but it went down, so does anyone know where I could get one?

Makaveli
04-24-2004, 07:00 PM
a good way is just taking screenshots and ripping in from they're

*b*
04-24-2004, 07:23 PM
depending on the emulator you use, that's a bad way. the best way is to use romview. it can look at the tiles in the ROM and save it as a 256 color bitmap with the palletes in place and ready for grabbing into your quest. I think AlphaDawg's website (http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/) has it, but I'm not sure

King Of Links
04-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I didn't find romview on alpha's site, or on google. Anywhere else I might be able to get it?

Makaveli
04-24-2004, 09:00 PM
but its hard to get tiles like properly together, alot of them are messed up and i like screenshot.

*b*
04-24-2004, 09:17 PM
well, the SNES games are made with 8x8 pixel graphics instead of 16x16, so of course some are going to be messed up, but that's easily fixed, even with paint. I'll upload a link to romview in just a sec...

ok, here ya go! romview.exe (http://www.filespace.org/link3505/romview.exe)

it can load any NES and SNES rom/savestate. try to load a savestate first, or you won't get the palletes for the tiles in the ROM

automatic
04-29-2004, 11:20 AM
the best way is to use romview. it can look at the tiles in the ROM and save it as a 256 color bitmap with the palletes in place and ready for grabbing into your quest.
That sounds nice, and all, but when I tried romview, all I got was pages of scrambled crap. I tried looking at all of my NES roms (Crystalis in particular... I wanted to snag some enemies out of it) but there was nothing but a big jumble of random pixels that scrolled on and on... was I doing something wrong?

Orion
04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Try looking at savestates instead.

Romview is all well and good for ripping colors and palettes, but for tiles it is pretty much crap.

I prefer taking screenshots of the game, ripping the tiles from there, reducing the file to 16 (or less) colors, and then grabbing them in ZC, recoloring them with the palettes I got from romview. I don't know if it's the easiest way to go about it, but it's what I've been doing for my LTTP tiles.

Superstrider
04-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Orion's method is what I employed, too. (I ripped the tiles of the electric bar that blocks Hyrule Castle In Link to the Past.) I took a screenshot, shrunk the tiles down, converted them to 16-bit color, then added them to my quest. (I had to color them for my palate.)

Sephiroth
04-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Orion's method is what I employed, too. (I ripped the tiles of the electric bar that blocks Hyrule Castle In Link to the Past.) I took a screenshot, shrunk the tiles down, converted them to 16-bit color, then added them to my quest. (I had to color them for my palate.)
Eh? I think you mean I did, I was the actual person that did that work.. (check my level 4 in TLOLAHRTS.) :)

ZC Architech
06-13-2004, 02:27 AM
And we all no its illeagle to have any of these roms over 24 hours. lol ;-)
U all no this but some mite not. To rip a rom image and load it into Zquest. right click on quest> graphics> tiles> Grab> File. (when hitting file look for a .Bmp or .Gif)

Dart Zaidyer
06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I prefer taking screenshots of the game, ripping the tiles from there, reducing the file to 16 (or less) colors, and then grabbing them in ZC, recoloring them with the palettes I got from romview. I don't know if it's the easiest way to go about it, but it's what I've been doing for my LTTP tiles.
Remember when doing that to still have a screenshot handy of the tile in action, or you could make a very dangerous mistake.
For example, you know the LttP-style push block that everyone's been using, which appears in Sludge's work and the Pure tileset? It's so wrong it's not even funny. A few pixels can and do make all the difference.
Compare it to a screenshot of LttP and you'll see what I mean.

Orion
06-13-2004, 11:55 PM
A very good point. I have a folder of over 600 screenshots. When i rip i usually have them open in the background in photoshop while i work in a windowed ZC (back before you could window ZC I used two computers next to each other).