PDA

View Full Version : Minnie has Two Mommies

fatcatfan
04-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Kaguya has Two Mommies (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&newsclusterurl=http://english.epochtimes.com/news/4-4-23/21079.html)
A MOUSE without a father has been created for the first time in an experiment that shatters the standard scientific belief that mammals of the same sex cannot produce viable offspring.But, of course, if you want to produce male offspring, you gotta have that chromosome. And it isn't likely that two males could produce a child without a female. So look out men - with this news, the women of the world might decide to wipe us out.
What is beyond dispute is that she is the first mammal to be born without a father.Depends on what you believe about Jesus :p

*b*
04-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Researchers say the technology is neither scientifically nor ethically acceptable for humans.

damn right. I don't realy mind what researchers do on mice and other small creatures to help advance our medical knowedge for humans, just as long as they don't start experimenting on humans. now, don't get me wrong, I love the cute furry balls with legs that share our world... but if, in some small way, it could help humans lead better lives, then I say go for it, just as long as we don't accidentally wipe out a species

also, notice that the article says the females have been 'genetically-altered', so that they CAN have a baby without a male. they're not true females

Jigglysaint
04-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Jesus had a father. He's not called the Son of God for nothing you know.

This is great news....if you are an Amazon warrior who hates men.

Blonde799
04-24-2004, 06:19 PM
<sarcasm>Isn't science wonderful?</sarcasm>

Now males have to find another thing females can't live without us doing.:p

deathbyhokie
04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Now males have to find another thing females can't live without us doing.:p
fixing cars. and killing spiders.

Tygore
04-25-2004, 12:42 PM
fixing cars. and killing spiders.

Or telling time. My girlfriend refuses to wear a watch, although she's one of those people who HAS to know what time it is. Appearantly, my entire purpose can be summed up in the word "Timepiece".

Jakq
04-25-2004, 02:05 PM
This is a stupid advancement me thinks. I mean, why would you make a mouse with 2 moms.

theplustwo
04-28-2004, 12:28 AM
You bastard!

Dark Nation
04-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Theoretically, shouldn't two males be able to produce offspring (male or female)? Females have two X chromosomes, so getting them together would only be able to produce female offspring. But males have an X and a Y, so, they should, theoretically, be able to produce either offspring. Yes, I know that you would need an egg, which comes from females, but I remember reading once (if memory serves) that the cloning process had a step where they took an egg and killed the DNA in it so that it would only receive DNA from the clone source. If you apply the same principle here and inject an DNA-less egg with an X or Y from 2 male donors, it should work. In theory. However, this is all speculation, as I am not a geneticist. *shrug*

fatcatfan
04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Yes, but you still need a female to produce the egg. And to be a surrogate mom unless we figure out how to give men a womb. Or you go with in-vitro stuff, but isn't the goal to let them have children as "naturally" as possible?

Dark Nation
04-28-2004, 01:00 PM
True, but if this experiment ever gets past the mouse stage and eventually gets permission to go to human testing, I can bet there will be many pairs of women wanting children. And if the little fly-by-night companies that pop up and promise to deliver this can make money off of pairs of women... Well, there are two sides to a coin and I am sure that someone will find a way to flip that coin over (even if it isn't as "natural" as the 2 female variety). :shrug:

Fiyerstorm
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Yay for the mouse. Double the breast milk.

theplustwo
04-28-2004, 10:50 PM
This is a stupid advancement me thinks. I mean, why would you make a mouse with 2 moms.So you can make a bad sitcom called "My Two Moms."

Rainman
04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
That is hot! Erm, actually this kind of sucks. If this goes further we men might become obsolete and the world will be run by a group of amazonian females! (again, hot!)