PDA

View Full Version : 10-player internet bubble bobble o_O

4matsy
04-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I found this lil' freebie quite amusing...

http://bub-n-bros.sourceforge.net/

An open-source clone of the original arcade Bubble Bobble, dubbed "The Bub's Brothers". Improved graphics, level editor (well, actually, there's no level-editing program supplied, but the custom level files are plain text in the form of programming code, and the format ain't at all hard to figure out), and internet/network games with up to 10 players simultaneously.

Yes, 10. :odd: I haven't played with anyone else yet, but from the screenshots on the game's website, it looks like things are already hectic enough with 3-4 players, mainly due to the new competitive-style changes. You can trap bonus foods/items in bubbles and let'em float around, and everybody gets the item when the bubble is popped...you can also put other players in bubbles which will keep them from getting the bonus...

Oh, and the wacky new powerups. Some of 'em blow up or block up parts of the level, or simply cause the whole thing to collapse...some power-down your character...one makes you walk on the ceiling...there's a freakin' SHEEP, which causes whoever gets it to lose a whole bunch of points at the end of the stage...

...and remember the potions from the original games, that when grabbed fill the screen with items and begin a bonus round? Well, there's this new black one, which throws the game into "OMG IT TEH 1337 R3TR0 T3TR1Z0RZ B0NUS R0U|\|D ROFFLE!!!!111" mode...the screen clears, and all of a sudden everyone's playing a quick round of Tetris, Galaga, or Pac-Man for bonus points...ROFL :rofl:

There's a random level generator, too, but I can't get it to work...:sweat:

Anyone up for a game (later tonight, or more likely, tomorrow night, it being the start of the weekend)? It does get a wee bit boring after so many solo runs...:p

King
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey, that sounds sweet! I think I'll check it out!

Master Ghaleon
04-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Ill play, just let me know when everyone decides on a time.

Slider Zero
04-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Sounds good *downloads*

now...when can I beat up on some of you guys?

4matsy
04-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Well, well, well...what's this?

It seems everyone's left the house (8:30 AM) and won't be back for about 7 hours (3-4 PM), leaving the phone line all to innocent lil' Hyper.

:sb:

PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!111

I'll also try to be on late tonight, once they're all asleep (around 10 or 11).

King
04-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Can you change the controls on this thing? And would I be able to use my gamepad?

Masamune
04-24-2004, 03:10 PM
wtf, mac users have to dl some kinda engine... but anything for a free bubble bobble port... =(

4matsy
04-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Can you change the controls on this thing? And would I be able to use my gamepad?
As far as I can tell, the game can't use the mouse or joystick. :disgust: Just four keys for right, left, jump, and shoot (which you are asked for, in that order, when you click on the player color you want).

wtf, mac users have to dl some kinda engine... but anything for a free bubble bobble port... =(
Yeah, most of the game (maybe all of it, I haven't looked too much at the code) is programmed in Python, so it needs the corresponding interpreter/engine/runtime environment/thingy/whatever it is.

Still, it's a neat lil' game... :)

Masamune
04-25-2004, 10:54 AM
yea, i had to download something called kitchensink to play. then it gave me some kinda "cannot find local server, giving up." shit. FUCK YOU MAC!

Carmine
04-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Ah, Bubble Bobble. Brings back some arcade memories it does :D .

But yeah, just got done trying it out. Pretty fun, nice layout and all, very "Atomic Bomberman" like :cool: . My only beef has to do with the control and enemy setup. The speed rate in which you can create bubbles, is it just me or has that totally been slashed in half? And the enemys. Well, kinda sucks that every level is setup for 10 players when it comes to the number of enemys.

I played on a server that consisted of 3 players. I totally got my ass delivered to me UPS style because 1. Well, I suck... Skills are rusty, and 2. The control delay was... "unacceptable". So yeah, I'd hate to see what a 10 player match looks like. But, either way, there couldn't of been a better 80's classic to revive ;) .

automatic
05-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Grr... I get an error "Can't open file 'and'"

Damn, I really wanted to check it out, too...

Trusso
05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Grr... I get an error "Can't open file 'and'"

Damn, I really wanted to check it out, too...
What happened is that you placed it in a folder like "My Documents" or something, if you move it to a folder with no space in the name then it should fix. I suggest placing in windows>bubbob.