PDA

View Full Version : flash carts

Masamune
04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
i dunno if these are considered roms or not. i have some questions about flash carts for gba. from what i understand, it's a blank GBA cart that can store roms for later use on a real GBA. also, what's a good size for a cart? i see them in 128,256, 512, and 1024 mb carts. and is there any drivers or software required for transfering roms? all i have to use for the moment is a crummy mac. and software probably won't be written for mac if it's required.

zoraking
04-22-2004, 07:46 PM
These play roms. I would like some. Buy me one OK?

Masamune
04-22-2004, 07:48 PM
yea, i'm thinking no. these cost a couple hundred bucks from what i've seen so far.

zoraking
04-22-2004, 07:55 PM
I know, that is why I want you to buy me one. :p

Vagla
04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Flash carts can run GBA ROMs in addition to emulators for consoles like NES and SNES (though I've only ever used my flash cart for NES emulation and never GBA ROMs, so I'm no help in that area).

As for size, mine is 256mbits, which is a total of 32 megabytes. I've never really had a use for anything more than 7 megs or so, so 256mbits should be enough. 512mbits and 1024mbits seem to be overkill, but if you feel like spending the extra money, go right ahead.

[Or you could spend money on a GamePark32 or Zodiac, both of which are extremely good handhelds. I've never used the Zodiac, but it's supposed to be even better than the GP32, which is a truly amazing system, if you ask me]

MottZilla
04-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Yes Masa, you must have the proper software for flashing the cart with ROMs. When you buy the product it should tell you what operating system you require.

Also these type of posts are allowed.

Pangolin
04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
But by getting a fash cart, you are helping to destroy Nintendo's sales. And that is Bad. Very very bad. worse than Something that isn't quite as bad as it.
Do they still cost around 150 dollars? If they do you might as well just buy the real thing. In fact, buy them anyway, Flash is nasty.

MottZilla
04-23-2004, 08:37 PM
No you are not. The fact of the matter is there is a limited amount of people buying the flash sets, very limited. Not to mention there are legitimate uses for flash sets. So no, they aren't the devil.

Vagla
04-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Yes, many people use flash carts for legitimate reasons; they can be used to pirate commercial games, true, but can also be used for retro emulation (as I said earlier), which doesn't hurt Nintendo or other game companies, and they can be used for game development. In fact, these same exact carts are used by game developers in some cases, and not just independant developers, at that. They're relatively cheap and very effective for testing games on real hardware.

vegeta1215
04-24-2004, 01:15 PM
I have a friend who programs his own GBA games (or at least is learning to), so he can eventually upload them to a flash cart and play it on the GBA.