PDA

View Full Version : Door combos made easy

*b*
04-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I just read Nick's thread about buggy door combos and it reminded me; how about when we set door combos, when you click the upper right tile, it automatically sets the rest of the tiles, like maps. then, if you want to change an individual combo, you click any position BUT the upper right combo, and it'll let you select individual comos you want to use

Sephiroth
04-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Yea. but instead of that, we should "remove" the door combo sets and then make the doors use a combo type like for instance, "shutter" upon beating all enemies in the room or triggering the blocks->shutter screen flag, all the "shutter" combos on the screen will change over to the next combo. kinda like how the lock blocks. but then we need to think about how we should make the shutter "close" behind link upon entering the room. but using the "shutter" combo, we could then have off-center doors that make the shutter sound when they open. That will work also..

Cloral
04-22-2004, 06:57 PM
That's a good suggestion *b*, but I think it would be nicer as a seperate button. I.e. you click this button, select the upper-left corner of the door in your combos, and ZQuest just uses the adjacent combos to fill in the rest of the area - since this is likely how they would be layed out in the combo list anyway. So it would save some time.

I'm just saying the seperate button so people could just look at the ui and understand what they're doing. The more explicit the ui is, the more user-friendly it will be.

Jigglysaint
04-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Hmm, I just though of a way to make combos better. Basically, using one of those tabs, have differnt combos. For example, there would be a section that would influence Link's health or inventory, which would include spikes and spike variations(like deep water that takes away health), a section that deals with movement, like water, slow walk, ect. Another would encompas doors, and would include the following: Locked door 1, north. Locked door 2, north(you need two because the first one, the door would only be unlockable from the right, and the second one, from the left, could be cool for one direction only locks), and the same for each other direction, which would total 8, and another 8 for boss doors. Shutters don't need the same treatment, however shutter combos would act like lock blocks, going to the next tile in the list. bombable doors would work the way locks do in this reguard: If you enter the screen from the south, any north locked doors or bomb doors would be automanically triggered, permemently. That way, you won't get stuck if you enter from another screen.

And other combos could be grouped like that as well, and in alphabetical order.

Sephiroth
04-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Hmm, I just though of a way to make combos better. Basically, using one of those tabs, have differnt combos. For example, there would be a section that would influence Link's health or inventory, which would include spikes and spike variations(like deep water that takes away health), a section that deals with movement, like water, slow walk, ect. Another would encompas doors, and would include the following: Locked door 1, north. Locked door 2, north(you need two because the first one, the door would only be unlockable from the right, and the second one, from the left, could be cool for one direction only locks), and the same for each other direction, which would total 8, and another 8 for boss doors. Shutters don't need the same treatment, however shutter combos would act like lock blocks, going to the next tile in the list. bombable doors would work the way locks do in this reguard: If you enter the screen from the south, any north locked doors or bomb doors would be automanically triggered, permemently. That way, you won't get stuck if you enter from another screen.

And other combos could be grouped like that as well, and in alphabetical order.
Wow Jigglysaint, That's exactly what I was trying to say, but I couldn't word it correctly. I would really like to see this happen to. :)