PDA

View Full Version : colin powell must feel real stupid

Eckels
04-21-2004, 11:09 PM
i had a thought
i think colin powell is really pissed at himself
because four years ago, had he ran for president he would have won... but instead he chose not to run. Now he's serving for a presidency that has completely failed in everything it does, and his popular political career (the one he enjoyed after desert storm) is ruined after this.
it's a kick yourself in the ass kind of thing

SixTen
04-21-2004, 11:13 PM
If he were president this whole 'finish what daddy started' thing wouldn't have happened.

Starkist
04-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Ooh, mindless Bush-bashing, where do I sign up?

:rolleyes:

Colin Powell had priorities and he stuck to them. He did not want the office of president. I doubt this has been a factor for at least a hundred years, but being president should not be something one merely wants to do one day. It seems that the office of president is to career politicians what the final boss is to a video gamer: the ultimate goal, the reason for playing. Becoming president today is not a means to help your country, but rather a means unto itself. It is sad, really.

Eckels
04-21-2004, 11:38 PM
no, my point isnt so much that he could have been president.. but see, he used to be very popular
popular enough that he could have won the presidency if he wanted it.
he no longer has that popularity

but now he's going to go down with the ranks of a clearly failed administration, that i'm also willing to bet, had he been president, wouldn't have been run into the ground...

I wonder if he regrets it now.

Starkist
04-21-2004, 11:44 PM
I see my point flying... flying... flying over your head.

:blah:

First, the current administration is no more "failed" than the previous, which went through an impeachment trial. Second, he is doing his part to maintain US interests and work with our many allies around the world in global affairs. (Note to Senator Kerry, "allies" means more than France and Germany.) All this is beside the point, however. What are you doing to better the world around you? Not nearly as much as Secretary Powell I'm sure. Were you to ask him, I would bet he would say he was fulfilled with his current job. You're right though, you never know.

Freedom
04-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Now he's serving for a presidency that has completely failed in everything it does

oh really?
we've fought 2 wars. freed 2 countries with some 50 million people that were living in dictatorships that would cause you to commit suicide before living that way, and our loses in human life have been far less then the number of people killed in the trade centers.

doesn't sound like failure to me.

Orion
04-22-2004, 02:55 AM
Colin Powell is a very powerful and popular man. Notice how he says little things to contradict Bush, and then backs away. Like how he broke the news that WMDs were never transported out of Iraq on trains and in vehicles like the Bush administration has said. He knows all to well that if he wanted to, he could cause a great deal of chaos in our government. But being the bright man he is, he does not, and merely steps back. Kinda the same way that Al Gore conceeded to Bush, even though he won the election. Someone had to give in, or the system would have been thrown into Chaos. I think Powell is perfectly happy doing his subtle little things to expose the shortcomings of the Bush administration.

Gerudo
04-22-2004, 03:34 AM
freed 2 countriesboth of which, i might add, keep attacking us at every turn. (not so much Afghanistan as Iraq)

Starkist
04-22-2004, 09:19 AM
...even though he won the election.
I hate how people will slip something false like this into a paragraph. It is the type of thing that people begin to believe when it is repeated enough. According to the guidelines for presidential succession laid down in the US Constitution, George W. Bush won the 2000 election.

slothman
04-22-2004, 09:55 AM
I hate how people will slip something false like this into a paragraph. It is the type of thing that people begin to believe when it is repeated enough. According to the guidelines for presidential succession laid down in the US Constitution, George W. Bush won the 2000 election.
I hate how people keep saying this when in fact Jeb bush took many votes away from people who voted for Gore. As did the counters. You can worship him as much as you want but that doesn't change voting disenfranchising.
It is weird that 5 years ago I likes Powell. Now I don't because of his views and association with shrub.

J.J. Maxx
04-22-2004, 12:21 PM
both of which, i might add, keep attacking us at every turn. (not so much Afghanistan as Iraq)

Right, the whole country is attacking us at every turn. :rolleyes: I've seen this argument in every anti-Bush post/thread/comment. Media coverage does mean anything according to reality. Unless you blindly hate Bush and will take every false or misleading bit of information to attack him. Which you liberals do, every time, without fail. If BigJoe were here he'd say you were predictable.

I hate how people keep saying this when in fact Jeb bush took many votes away from people who voted for Gore. As did the counters. You can worship him as much as you want but that doesn't change voting disenfranchising.

Wow, if you could prove this allegation, not only would Bush be impeached, his brother removed from office, criminal charges would be filed and you would be a millionaire.

I'm assuming your not. Just a hunch.

In fact I bet I could assume that you've never even seen a Florida ballot, let alone counted any. Thats such a stupid and ignorant remark.

Orion
04-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Let me rephrase that: George W. Bush won the election, yes. Did he get the most votes in Florida? No. I'll look for a source on this. Bush won because Gore conceeded. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy or any BS like that, it was just miscounted, most likely cuz everyone was under high pressure. Either way, I don't like Bush, but I personally can't see Gore doing a better job as president. It's time for some new blood, however, which is why I'm goin for Kerry.

theplustwo
04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I doubt that Powell would have won the presidency had he run.

Dechipher
04-22-2004, 02:03 PM
both of which, i might add, keep attacking us at every turn. (not so much Afghanistan as Iraq)
I know. My little brother got kidnapped going to school the other day by the disrguntled Iraqis. This is getting ridiculous.

What happened happened. No one can change that. Jesus. I can't wait to see what happens when Kerry gets elected, they seem to be getting worse. Not the presidents, the critics.

Axel
04-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Starkist, I wouldn't mind your devotion to Bush if you would provide some logical reasoning for it. So far all you've ever done is deride anyone who doesn't share your point of view that Bush is the second-coming-of-christ* I don't mind disagreeing with standard liberal policy on several points (largest being capital punishment) but you seem to follow the conservative bandwagon wherever it goes. If this impression is incorrect please correct me (preferably with a rational argument, not blatant personal attacks)
You also seem to be ignoring recent history. Jimmy Carter is more famous for his humanitarian efforts after leaving the presidency than for the little he accomplished in office.

As for objections to Bush, I think our current economic policy is far more damaging to this nation than Sadaam could ever hope to have been. What we need is someone who will spend some time on domestic affairs, not pork-barrel-wars**

*figure of speach, not to be taken literally
** historical allussion to the late 19th and early 20th centuries when politicians used federal money to support projects in local areas to boost their popularity+
+Also potentialy an extended allusion to the entry of Napoleon III into the Crimean War, creating a trheat to detract attention from his massive internal problems.++
++Also successfully used by Hitler to prevent the German people from questioning him, and in George Orwell's 1984.