PDA

View Full Version : LindowsOS Becomes Linspire

theplustwo
04-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Giving in to worldwide legal pressure from Microsoft, Lindows.com has changed the name of its flagship Linux distribution to Linspire. Currently under attack in the United States and Europe because the name Lindows is so similar to Windows, the company decided it was best to change the name, if only temporarily, so it could continue to do business. "Despite our victories in the United States and overseas, a name change is still necessary to counter Microsoft's strategy to sue us in courts around the world," Lindows Founder and CEO Michael Robertson said. "We're hoping that this puts a halt on the international lawsuits." Microsoft pledged to pursue its case in the United States, just to keep things interesting.LAAAAME. :thumbsdn:

Draconis
04-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Jeez... Microsoft can't take any competition or they go flying off the handle.

kariqual_insanity
04-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I can see from a business perspective why Microsoft wanted them to change their name to protect their precious Windows. But I still think it's lame.

Microsoft pledged to pursue its case in the United States, just to keep things interesting.

theplustwo
04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, you know, since Microsoft invented the word windows, and was also the first company to apply it to computing.

Rainman
04-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Go microsoft!!! :thumbsup:

Beldaran
04-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Go microsoft!!! :thumbsup:

word. :cool:

EWild
04-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Mircosoft is just scared.

Toolie
04-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Fuck Microsoft! I can't believe they have the audacity to protect they're brand name from a competitor who'se only trying to capitalize on the fame that Microsoft has built up on its own name over the years! Those dirty bastards!

Oh wait, that's right, Lindows is lame. Give up the crusade against the "big, evil corperation" and just accept the fact that sometimes it's better that way.

Zeo
04-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Actaully....If we wanna get REAL technical........

"windows" are a commom everyday thing, hence should NOT have been under trademark ANYWAY, jus like I can't trademark "dirt" or "tree".

However, since it its,I think Lindows WAS taking advantage of it, and that they should change thier name...........that isn't fair practie, for ine reason outside of the trying to stralfae fromMS.

There's only so many letters you can put in from of "indows" Now, if compaines start takign them up to copy microsoft, the are taking up name sother peopel cold use for otherthings legitimately.

For instance, Di(Long i)ndows...might be good for a dinosaur model company, or digdows for a Buldozer company, ect. Those are legitmateues those littlecopy cats cold be taing up and denying a good egit nae to some one else............

vegeta1215
04-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Lindows's original idea was to make a Linux distribution that promised terrific Windows compatibility through the use of Wine, WineX, and Cross-Over Office. That's why they chose the name I think. But it's pretty naive of them to think that Microsoft would have no problems with it though.

I've always been skeptical of their goal it because it's a lot to promise. They have since stepped back from that goal, and have concentrated on making a simple, easy to use Linux distribution. It's main sell is it's Click-n-run warehouse, where you can choose an application you want and install it with one click. My friend installed Lindows on his laptop and I got a chance to use it for a bit, and it seemed nice, but its nothing you can't get from other Linux distros for a lot cheaper.

SixTen
04-19-2004, 10:21 PM
"windows" are a commom everyday thing, hence should NOT have been under trademark ANYWAY, jus like I can't trademark "dirt" or "tree".

I think someone copyrighted the color blue, dunno though. Someone did copyright the Happy Birthday song.

Tygore
04-19-2004, 10:28 PM
You know what I want to copyright? Copyrights. I'd make a fortune.

SixTen
04-19-2004, 10:32 PM
I would copyright the word 'the' and the letters 'a' and 'e'.

theplustwo
04-19-2004, 11:52 PM
I think someone copyrighted the color blue, dunno though. Someone did copyright the Happy Birthday song.That's because the person who wrote it maintained the rights before it got famous.

Also, I do think that Lindows is kinda crappy anyhow, but it's the principal of the thing.