PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Help

automatic
04-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Here's the deal:

I want to make the raft into a "mine cart" (because the flippers pretty much make the raft obsolete, and a mine-cart level would be pretty cool, I think). I have made water combos that look like tracks, and the "mine cart" is pretty much just the raft with wheels drawn on it :) .

Here's the thing, though... I want to be able to switch sections of track by hitting a switch with your sword. Now, since you can't place "raft flags" with a secret combo, I've been having a bit of trouble. Here's what I have so far (this is screen #67):

http://www.filespace.org/automatic/track_1.JPG

Please forgive the graphics... this is just a testing page. Yeah, the tree combo is a switch... I'm not going to draw a new tile for a track switch until I know this works right.

Anyway, there are raft flags on the complete track, but not the broken one... when you hit the switch, it activates the secret combos, which are pit warps that surround the switch. They insta-warp you to this screen (screen #68):

http://www.filespace.org/automatic/track_2.JPG

Now the newly-completed track is the one with raft flags on it, and link can ride his ghetto mine-cart. So far, all of this works fine. However, this screen also has a secret combo when you hit the switch, to make pit warps to warp you back to screen #67, thus being able to switch the track back and forth. But it doesn't work... when I warp back to #67, the secret is still activated. The pit warps are stil there, and walking through the warps just flips back and forth between these two screens...

How do I make the secret combos non-permanent, so that when you leave the screen and come back, they're back to normal? I know it can be done, like in Hidden Duality:

http://www.filespace.org/automatic/hid_dual.JPG

When you boomerang the switch, the water fills in with floor and you can walk across. But if you come back to the room, you have to hit the switch again. This is what I want for my tracks.... Will someone please help? :shakeno:

(BTW, I'm using v1.92 Beta183)

Freedom
04-19-2004, 02:50 AM
dungeon dmap triggers are temp.
Cave dmap triggers are perm.

Ganonator
04-19-2004, 03:39 AM
ok... You have to tier your flags, and its not that difficult if you play with it a bit.

Make up your map the way you want, and the comboes the way you want. place flag #16 (the ones with the NEW track) where you want it, and flag #17 where you DON'T want to be able to move. Open up the secret combo dialog screen, hold down the Control button on your keyboard, and click on the box for flag #16. You will now be able to pick that flag's new attribute after it has been triggered. For you, put flag # 8 (i think raft it #8) for flag 16, and (none) for flag 17.

I believe it should now work properly!

Edit:: you can't put flag 16 on the other raft parts. I'm a little slow at 1am :D

automatic
04-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Freedom:
Cool, thanks for the info... since the mine level will be a dungeon dmap, I think that would work. I've been testing this out in the overworld...

Ganonator:
I'll try this method too... sounds a little confusing (I'm still new at this :) ) but I'll tinker around with that idea. From what I gather, I won't have to use the pit warps at all with this method?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Freedom
04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
raft doesn't work in dungeon dmaps, it throws link off the raft between screens.

raft flags don't work on layers.

to make secrets permanent or non permanant you can run link over a temp or perm trigger combo.

you can do it something like this in a cave dmap, when link enters the screen he runs over a temp trigger made to look like track and then that sets up the secret combos to trigger back and forth when you hit the switch.
lets say your switch is secret combo "sword" which then triggers 17 and "sword" back and forth each time you hit it.

to set layered flags you press Ctrl while clicking the secret combo 17 and put it to "sword", and then click on "sword" and put it to 17, they will then switch back and forth each time the switch is hit with the sword.

you may also need to set a track combo to replace the trigger track combo once it's been fired, depending on how you set it up

I think this will work, but I've had brain farts before, so just play with it and see :)

Ganonator
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I guess it would really help to either have more than one flag type on a square, or make a combo of type 'raft', that has the water type, but allows the player to use the raft even though it lacks flag 8

Jigglysaint
04-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey, the setup you have looks possible. First of all, flag 8 allows your raft to overlap another path, that is, you go straight even if there is a raft path above or below. Second, I assume that if you were to take the mine cart to the broken track, you would disembark, which is possible if all you do is make it so the extra track appears. You can't make it so if you hit the switch, the track piece changes direction and lets you chose another path instead of the first. Also, you don't need a water combo to operate the raft, incase it hasn't been addressed yet.

automatic
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
raft doesn't work in dungeon dmaps, it throws link off the raft between screens.

raft flags don't work on layers.

to make secrets permanent or non permanant you can run link over a temp or perm trigger combo...
Okay, you also said that "dungeon dmap triggers are temp.
Cave dmap triggers are perm."

I changed the dmap to dungeon. It still isn't working. Here's what's happening:

1. I enter "Screen A." The track is broken.
2. I hit the switch with my sword.
3. It activates secret combos that are pit-warps all around the switch.
4. The pit-warps warp me to "Screen B." The track is fixed.
5. I hit the Screen B switch with my sword.
6. It activates secret combos that are pit-warps all around the switch.
7. The pit-warps warp me back to "Screen A."
----Here is the problem:
8. The secrets are still activated on "Screen A", which means the switch is still hit, and the pit-warps are still there. I get flipped back to "Screen B"
9. The secrets are still activated here, too. I get flipped back to "Screen A." Repeat steps 8 & 9 until you go crazy, and throw your monitor out the window.

My main question now is... How do I make the secrets non-permanent? Every time I enter either "Screen A" or "Screen B," The secrets should be un-activated until I hit the switch.

I really thought I had it down... I guess I was wrong. Please, guys... take me through it step-by-step. Pretend I'm a child. Pretend that I don't know what you're talking about when you say "trigger temp & trigger perm" (mainly because I don't :) ).

I throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Freedom
04-20-2004, 02:23 PM
when you first enter the screen have link run over a perm. trigger that triggers the secret combos, then tier your flags so when he hits the switch it is actually triggering the second tier of secret combos so when he leaves the screen they will revert back to the first set of secret combos triggered.
toggling them back and forth.

your pit warps would be on the second trigger, whatever they look like originally can be the first flag

you can make a piece of track that is set to nothing and one set to pit and toggle those two back and forth.

automatic
04-20-2004, 03:21 PM
when you first enter the screen have link run over a perm. trigger that triggers the secret combos, then tier your flags so when he hits the switch it is actually triggering the second tier of secret combos so when he leaves the screen they will revert back to the first set of secret combos triggered.
toggling them back and forth.
Okay, I understand that part now, and I see what you mean. I tried it out, and it works just how you described it...

If you stand next to the switch (on secret 16) and hit the switch, it tiers to the next combo (the pit warp) and warps you to the next screen.

Now here's a new problem: If you stand still on this new screen, and hit the switch again, the pit combo does show up, but you don't actually get warped until you take a step.

If you walk away from the switch and walk back before you hit it, everything works fine. I'm sure this is just a problem with how the pit-warps are coded. They don't activate unless Link's x-y coordinates are updated. I guess I could combo-cycle some conveyor tiles that push you away from the switch, and then switch to a non-conveyor tile a few tics later, but that would look kind of strange. I've just decided to go with this method of track switching/gate opening:
http://filespace.org/automatic/track_on.bmp

http://filespace.org/automatic/track_off.bmp

It's just a simple little pit-warp tile. No secret combos necessary, and it's really clean looking. If only I could add sound-effects to it... eh, oh well...

BTW, Freedom... thank you for the help. I might not have been able to make my switch work, but now I understand tiered combos, so some good came out of it!

Freedom
04-20-2004, 08:36 PM
That's something I'd like to be able to do too, add sound effects per screen.
right now you are pretty limited there, you can change the ocean surf sfx if you don't plan to use it elsewhere, but that's about it.