PDA

View Full Version : Tips to making a good quest:

Nightmare
04-18-2004, 12:57 AM
(deleted at my request)

JayeM
04-18-2004, 10:52 AM
5. Plan it out on paper before even opening ZQuest.

6. Try to make it unique, different enough from the usual quest so as to sustain player interest.

7. Humor is a good ingredient too, but don't make it over-powering. The quest comes first.

Blonde799
04-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I personally suggest beta testing the quest yourself, with maybe 1 or 2 people. You don't have to rely on others too much to help find bugs, and you can evaluate the decisions you're making on your quest(a whole group of people can't always be right).

Try and go with a pre-designed tileset. This is more of a habit former, as if you start a quest with your own tileset from scratch, chances are you may not finish it(look at PZC, you'll notice a certain few people are still finishing their respective quests, despite multiple revamps).

Start out simple, and if possible, keep it simple. You know how long it takes for long custom boss'd quests to be released? Finishing your quest might take so long, you may be taking more breaks than actually finishing that 6th level. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be. A good quest can also be a solid one.

And as Jaye said, it wouldn't kill to try something new, like a different way of playing, a new dungeon design, or a different handicap, other than giving the player 3 hearts, having the sword around the corner, and sending the player out in the wilderness.

That's my $0.02.:p

DarkFlameWolf
04-18-2004, 01:41 PM
okay, how about 1 heart, only the blue candle and the sword in level 2? :D j/k

Nightmare
04-18-2004, 03:59 PM

I remember in James Quest 1 I made it that you had to start out with just the Blue Candle (I'm sure the Veterans knew about it) Yeah, everyone likes to start with the sword, but sometimes it's too much of a given.

Another tactic: Try not to give the Boomerang too early. I think it's the most broken weapon in the game. One of James's Quest 1's early designs was to keep it away from the player. Both Boomerangs are in there, one in Lv. 6, the other in Lv. 8, but they're tough to find and cost a ton of money.

EDIT: Hey DarkFlameWolf, how about stickying this? So your new quest makers have some tips permanently and the long-timers can contribute over time. Just a thought.

-James

Blonde799
04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, they render a lot of enemies pushovers. I guess that's what C-Dawg thought in Dreams of Yesterday too(he made you go through part of a level with just that).:p

ShadowTiger
04-22-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't know if this should go here or not, but I suppose that half of every good quest, is making sure it's bug-free. So in order to do so, I've constructed a handy little guide with which to help you test people's quests. :) You can then make them a less buggy environment, and more playable. Quest.. made... better. Boom. (Or, if this doesn't apply, you can slice this thread. Because otherwise, I would have probably put this in the wrong forum anyway. :sweat: :rolleyes:

For those of you who are testing other people's quests, there should be a certain method to follow to make both your lives, and the quest maker's life a little easier. First of all, how many of you think that this should be pinned? I would be more than happy to do it. I just want a census first.

Setup:
1. Create a separate folder inside your ZC folder on the hard drive. This makes organization much easier.

2. This is merely a sub-note of #1. Copy and paste the ZC files, (zelda.exe, etc.) .. Well, actually, copy the ZIP files they came from, the .exe files that unzip the files to the designated folder. Copy THOSE, along with that the ZC Support Archive. Unzip all those, and make your own zelda station directly for that quest alone. This also means that any screenshots of bugs that you make, (F12) will end up in that folder.

Snapping Photos:
3. When you play the quest, if you see a bug that you have to report, or something which seems out of the ordinary, press F12 to take a screenshot of the scene. If you had followed steps 1 and 2, the file SHOULD have popped up in that same folder, and is easily recognizable.

File Organization:
4. Organizing your bug reports can be a big hassle, but you'll see the results when they're all done. First of all, get a program like IRFanview (http://www.irfanview.com). If you have an average computer, (I have a PII 300 MHZ PC, and it works quite well.) the image should load quickly, and it'll save you quite a bit of hassle.

5. (This point isn't so much as a step, as an explanation of step #6.) When organizing your files, you should probably classify them in terms of what kind of error they are. This has two major advantages. It separates them into the kind of bugs which need to be fixed, and which don't need to be fixed. There are a few kinds of bugs that there are to report. I'll explain each below.

MAJOR - Impedes the player's progress severely. These are the most important bugs.
Minor - Similar to the above, but the player can finish the game even with those in.
Graphic - When there's something which doesn't look right, such as a grass edge on a stairs, in a desert.
Layer - If you can walk under something that you're not supposed to be able to. Also applies to graphic errors on layers.
Scrolling - If you scroll to the next screen, and you get stuck in a wall.
Text / String - There's something wrong with the text, or a spelling or grammer error.
Undercombo - Fairly self explanatory. Any undercombo that isn't what it's expected to be.
Warp - A tile or side warp that doesnt' lead to where it's supposed to be, or doesn't do anything at all.
Walkability - This area is unwalkable for some reason. This probably has to do with layers, but they're 2 separate things.
Combo - The wrong kind of combo is used, or there's a strange type of combo there for no real reason.

6. When you're done with the testing for the moment, go to your folder you set up. Go to zelda001.bmp, and open it up. See what it is. Depending on the kind of error that it was, close the file, and click once to highlight the file, then click again on that same file to rename it. (DO NOT double click. It opens it. Do a click, ... click.) So rename it to the type of error which it was, then place a number of the occurrance of the error next to it, such as Undercombo 1, and the next file is called Undercombo 2, and the next file is called Layer 1, etc.

7. If you wanted to be really nice to the quest author, you would crop out the image to remove the stat bar (life, magic, keys, etc.) on top of every screen. This isn't at all necessary though.

8. Zip up the file, and put it up somewhere to store, like http://www.filespace.org (http://filespace.brentdax.com) or www.freewebz.com (http://www.freewebz.com) to keep. Then, either PM the file to the quest author, or put the file where the quest author tells you to. Hope this helps. ;) Good luck with your quests.

Nightmare
04-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Excellent points Brittanhero. I remember some quests where I just could not find the damn bug no matter how hard I looked for it.

I think we should keep it coming.

-James

ShadowTiger
04-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks, James. ;) (Call me Josh, or BH4. o_o .. Thank you.) Perhaps we can expand on this Quest-Tip thread, and turn it into a forum? It's -very- effective over at PureZC. You can check it out Here (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=69). :) I think that my idea really rolled to a good place. I hope AGN can do something similar! ^_^

Lecayle
02-25-2005, 05:37 PM
To be honest, to have a good quest, don't worry much on what you think that other people want, but make it a quest that YOU yourself would enjoy playing day in and day out. I design video games for a living, and in my line of work, more often than not, if you design a game for yourself, people like it more. when it comes to bugs, my tactic is that if I'm going to try something I haven't done before, I make a little dummy quest file and design the room/dungeon/OW spot I'm trying out as the beginning of the "game" so i can easily find whatever bugs there are. this really helps for trying new things out in like say the last dungeons, without having to quest through everything just for one little thing.

Also, write down all the areas in your quest you're not sure will work correctly and check them before a release of any sort!

boram_c
04-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Just two words: Keep updated. This means keeping track of the latest version of Zelda Classic. I have played a couple games that had major bugs in them because they were created for older versions (I currently use version 2.10). If it makes no sense to start the designs of an engine designed for a Model T when more fuel-efficient cars are available, then it makes no sense to begin from scratch using ZeldaQuest 1.00 when 2.10 is available. Use the most recent version when you start.

Of course, I understand that quest building takes a long time, and during that long time, or even afterwards, a new version might come out. If case this happens, indicate which version you used to construct your quest. If a new version of Zelda Classic comes out after your quest is made, test your quest, or have your quest tested, using the latest version to check for major bugs. If any exist, try to update your quest (if you can do so without a lot of trouble).

Rakki
04-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Ehh, I kind of agree with you, boram, but then again, I don't. I would make a quest in 2.10 right now, if it didn't have SO MANY bugs. Especially the music/sfx bug which I just HAVE to have the sound muted to be able to play. Music is definately a big part of my questing experience, so not having it just really takes me out of the quest. I'm hoping the bug fix version, which is supposedly being worked on right now, is released soon, otherwise I am going to make my quest in version 1.92. Which is disappointing for me, because I want to use all the items/etc. version 2.10 offers. Anyway, what I'm getting at here is, I think it's excusable to use the most recent STABLE version of Zquest to make a quest as long as the newest version is, well, unstable enough. Which I think in this case, 2.10 definately is.

Love For Fire
04-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Boram, the problem with using the latest version is that it is highly unstable (I can't even get 2.10 to run on my computer). So using 1.92 vs 2.10 should really be a matter of whether the quest maker wants to deal with all the version 2.10 bugs. I started, and will finish my quest in 1.92 because it is a stable version. Yes, I would love to use the new items and such, but to put it in your analogy, it would be much better to design and create that model T that someone can drive and not worry about it, then to have a newer fuel efficient piece of junk that falls apart on you after 100 miles.

boram_c
04-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I am just saying that it is unwise to use a superanuated version to create your quest (1.84 should be a thing in the past by now). Once the issues with 2.10 are fixed, there will be no more excuses, but for now, it should be okay to use the most updated stable version.

Rakki
04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm a little curious as to why you're pointing out version 1.84, since I'm unaware of any recently released quests that are version 1.84. All the quests I've seen are either version 2.10, 1.92 beta 184, or 1.92 beta 183.

boram_c
04-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm a little curious as to why you're pointing out version 1.84, since I'm unaware of any recently released quests that are version 1.84. All the quests I've seen are either version 2.10, 1.92 beta 184, or 1.92 beta 183.
Some people made them. When I tested them with a 1.92, they did not work, and eventually did not make it here on this website. (These guys were working outside of ZeldaClassic using ZeldaClassic's software and have yet to update their stuff.) I told them that 1.92 was available, but none were willing to improve their quests.

boram_c
04-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Another tactic: Try not to give the Boomerang too early. I think it's the most broken weapon in the game. One of James's Quest 1's early designs was to keep it away from the player. Both Boomerangs are in there, one in Lv. 6, the other in Lv. 8, but they're tough to find and cost a ton of money.

Yeah, they render a lot of enemies pushovers. I guess that's what C-Dawg thought in Dreams of Yesterday too(he made you go through part of a level with just that).:p
Another idea: avoid providing the hammer early, especially before the player is able to receive the Magical Sword (Sword Lvl 3); otherwise, most Darknuts will become too easy and other high-stamina enemies will fall quickly too. Unless you force the player to give up the sword for a while (i.e. forcing the player to take a hit from a Red Bubble with no Blue Bubble in close proximity), do not give the hammer too early.

Love For Fire
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I'll definitely have to agree with that one. My interest in so many games has been killed because you get a Hammer in Level 1 and then everything is easy.

Another tip for questmakers... Unless you are using a lot of Death Knights, Mirror Wizzrobes, and Cracktoroks, avoid giving the Gold Ring. It makes most games way too easy. (With a few excpetions, such as Demo EX)

boram_c
04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Another tip for questmakers... Unless you are using a lot of Death Knights, Mirror Wizzrobes, and Cracktoroks, avoid giving the Gold Ring. It makes most games way too easy. (With a few excpetions, such as Demo EX)
Death Knights, Mirror Wizzrobes, Cracktoroks, and Stalfos 3's (Crackfoses, I suppose). Cracktoroks and Crackfoses-LOL :laughing:-just like "Cracklings" in Starcraft.

Rakki
04-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Some people made them. When I tested them with a 1.92, they did not work, and eventually did not make it here on this website. (These guys were working outside of ZeldaClassic using ZeldaClassic's software and have yet to update their stuff.) I told them that 1.92 was available, but none were willing to improve their quests.
Well... Don't they suck? :p Lol, so I guess that's why I hadn't seen any recently released 1.84 quests, since I was just looking on here, basically.

I agree about the things said about the Boomerang and Hammer. In fact, two quests I've been playing lately, one of them gives you the Boomerang in the ENTRANCE of Level 1, and the other gives you the Boomerang AND the Hookshot(which can freeze Darknuts, among other things, and makes Bats pretty much a pushover) in Level 1, and then gives you the hammer in Level 2! Actually, that one that gives you the boomerang in the first room of Level 1 also gives you the Hammer in Level 2, I think. Jeez. Not that I mean anything by this, but can't people be a little more creative?

The sword is another thing I'd like to see people do more with. It's constantly just GIVEN to the player. I have seen more quests lately, though, that make you work for the sword, having to dodge enemies till you get the BOOMERANG and then having to go kill Keese or such to get to the sword, but again, that gives you the Boomerang really early, so you can freeze a lot of enemies to kill them easily later on. In the quest I'm working on, I'm planning on not having the sword till a good half hour into the game, and even then, that's all you'll have, you won't get the boomerang or anything like that to kill Keese/Bats to get to the sword. It's pretty much a puzzle dungeon, to get the sword.

SoStaci
04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I agree. This current quest i'm making is gonna be extremely challenging. It'll be so challenging, one dungeon will consist of a grand total of 25+ cracktorocks, 40+ stalfos 3's and so forth.

Yes, only put the gold ring in your quest if you use a lot of difficult enemies.

Rakki
04-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow. I'm not sure if I even want to TRY that quest, Mike. ^_^; Although the Cracktorocks aren't NEARLY as bad as Death Knights... *Shivers*

Love For Fire
04-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Boomerangs make Stalfos 3's pushovers unless there's a large number of them. Cracktorocks actually die in one hit if you deflect there shot with the mirror shield.

I had no idea the Hook-shot froze Darknuts AND Wizzrobes... I wouldn'tve given it in Level 2. My problem was I planned the levels thematically, and that was the only place I could think of to put it.

Although the hook-shot may be the only thing saving some people in my game ;)

SoStaci
04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't know if I wanna do that many, but i'm definitely following these tips

Rakki
04-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Boomerangs make Stalfos 3's pushovers unless there's a large number of them. Cracktorocks actually die in one hit if you deflect there shot with the mirror shield.

I had no idea the Hook-shot froze Darknuts AND Wizzrobes... I wouldn'tve given it in Level 2. My problem was I planned the levels thematically, and that was the only place I could think of to put it.

Although the hook-shot may be the only thing saving some people in my game ;)
I actually fear the Cracktorocks more than the Stalfos 3's for some reason. I know that should be the other way around since the Cracktorock's shots can be reflected back at them, and the Stalfos 3's can only be deflected(can't reflect sword beams), but whatever.

And yes, if you hit them from the side or back, or sometimes if they're facing towards you when your hookshot is returning so it hits them in the back, it'll freeze Darknuts. Funny, I didn't realize it freezes Wizzrobes, lol.

Ironically, and probably seemingly hypocritically, you're going to need the hookshot to complete the "first" dungeon in my quest, to get your first(or what should be your first) "triforce piece"(for lack of a better 8-pieces object at this time). Oh, but did I forget to mention? You don't get the hookshot in that dungeon. ;) There'll be some backtracking in my quest for sure, hehe.

boram_c
05-03-2005, 12:06 AM
On a similar note to my earlier suggestion not to provide the Hammer too early, do not provide the Wand before the player can obtain the Sword Lvl2 (unless you have the player fight mostly Wizrobes and other enemies immune to physical hits from the Wand). Otherwise, a player could use the Wand in place of the Sword Lvl1 before obtaining Sword Lvl2.

SleepingDragonX
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah I agree. I see the hammer as an early item in the game. You should be able to get it so early.
I try to say away from the temptation of using the hammer all the time when it's the treasure of the second/third dungeon.
The only problem is that it's so slow...

Rakki
05-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Please, please, PLEASE do NOT over use the screen transition "Insta-warp with Wave effects". It's partially broken, it can close the game sometimes while it's happening. It's caused me to have to do a bunch of things over and over and over in a few quests already cause that's like, the ONLY transition the author decided to use. It is SO annoying having to save so often, not knowing whether or not you'll make it through the next warp/to the next area. And I guarentee it'll deter people from finishing your quest. It's making me want to quit the one I'm playing right now, which I won't mention the name of. Now I'm not saying don't use it at all, because it is quite a cool effect, but just try to watch how many times you use it... At least until it's fixed(which I have mentioned that it's broke before).

Ganondork
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
TIP: The story line must be good! Check out the wind waker, all of these plot twists, every quest I have seen is sooo predictable! Most are just find the triforce and save zelda! And others that have "original" story lines are more boring thanthe minish cap! :mad2:

looney linklord
08-01-2005, 07:28 PM
and i've noticed every single quest iv'e played has aquamentus as the first boss. i think dodongo makes a good first boss :D

Sir_Johnamus
08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
1. Use my rule. If you can't find something you like, customize it. I want the BS tiles but BS first is passworded.

2. To make a hard quest, do what Phantom Menace did in the demo EX. You get the boomerang and have to fend with it until you get 2 heart containers to get the sword. Then put hard enemies after that.

Kingboo30
08-02-2005, 08:42 AM
My boss's are going to be challenging but not too much. My first boss is 3 blue darknuts but you continue there if you lose. you don't slash and the very beginning but if you go somewhere obvious in the very beginning (Not wooded sword cave) you learn it as it's almost needed for the darknuts. It's not in a dungeon either and not the normal overworld. (The Darknut boss is in a different overworld which means you have to find the entrance to it. It's forest themed so where do think it would be? Not the lost woods but you had to come here in the first quest before. That's all I'll say. It'll have 3 new overworlds.)

SeirraMist
09-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Hm... I was gonna make the hammer the item in the second level ( not strenght wise, for another reason ) but reading this i think Ill change it to something else. Heres my tip:
Dont make dungeons easy as hell. I had to redo one of mine 3 times because it was to small, then it still to easy, and finnaly I got it to work. Also, dont overdo on the plot. People want to make wierd creatures explode to remeber.

Kingboo30
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Hm... I was gonna make the hammer the item in the second level ( not strenght wise, for another reason ) but reading this i think Ill change it to something else. Heres my tip:
Dont make dungeons easy as hell. I had to redo one of mine 3 times because it was to small, then it still to easy, and finnaly I got it to work. Also, dont overdo on the plot. People want to make wierd creatures explode to remeber.
I know what you mean. It's really boring being able to sweep through the quest with barely any trouble. MMDWR: DC made it "Hard" so you couldn't sweep through the quest. It actually involved startegy and had some puzzles that aren't in most quests. Or any quests.

And don't have aquamentus as the first boss. That guy is too easy. What about a blue darknut? 4 darknuts? 5 blue goriyas? The Boss doesn't always have to be a boss enemy. Also, try not to provide the hammer too early. Unless your going to add tough enemies then it's fine but I would rather use the sword over hammer. I like to put the hammer in level 5 or 6. Right before the magic sword. Being able to go through darknut sheilds make them pushovers. Even a Superdarknut with only 3 hearts and no tunic is simple with the hammer. Don't make the quest too short either. The purpose of my quest is supposed to be very long.

Aegix Drakan
10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
They key to a good quest is to make it unique in some way.
Put a little bit of you into your quest.
try stuff no one else has tried
give adequate clues to the player, a quest isn't fun if you're lost.
put in a feature that will make people remember your name.

And A good story helps too.

LinkMaster500
10-06-2005, 08:42 AM
I think one key to making difficult quests is where you place items and how early the player can get them because you can be accidentally making parts of the game easier than originally intended--especially if the player can get things like the Letter/Potions, Rings, Heart Containers, and the various sword upgrades early in the game.

For instance, in one quest out there, the White Sword is in the spot where in the original games, you crossed the river to get a Heart Container. To get this, you have to get the Whistle in Level 1, the Power Bracelet in Level 2, then work through Level 3 to get the Ladder--all of this with the Wooden Sword, and no boomerangs or rings. Along Level 3, you have to fight two Digdoggers (one 3-kid), and the ladder room has two Blue Wizzrobes.

Kingboo30
10-14-2005, 07:02 PM
There better mirriors in that blue wizzrobe room then.. I put a hookshot in a mini level and lens of truth in that mini level before level 3. Does this mean everything is going to be simple? No. There is going to be a enemy difficulty leap. I also find Stalfos 3 easy so there are SOME in level 3. Not that much. I also provide a blue tunic after level 1 and a red tunic in level 4 but you gotta pay big bucks and that it's still hard even with that. Yes I provide a white sword after a mini level before level 3 but even with that level 3 is a pain in the ass to beat. (The Blue Lanmolas, Blue Wizzrobes, And of course the Stalfos 3) You can provide very useful items and still make the game hard is all i'm saying. Hammer in level 2 is a no no. Just having the power of a slow magic sword is too uber. I see it as an early item.

SeirraMist
11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
More Quick Notes:

1) Aquamentos is a great boss. HOWEVER he is only good for the 1st level as a actual boss. After that you may want to consider "spicing" it up by putting like 4 Aquamentos in a room and just make them like plain enemies.

This is my major problem, but Im tryign to beat it...
2) Not every room has to have a purpose. Try to design dungeons with many rooms with just doors and enemies. If every room has a puzzle or treasure chest, it wouldent be as fun.

3) As I said before, dont make a game to heavy on story, and no gameplay. People want to make little monsters explode ^^

Sir_Johnamus
11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I am making On Yonder.
It is huuuuuuuuuuuge. It may not be finishable by people who have no patients.
The point: Make a plot/gameplay that is easy to get in to. Don't make it drag on and on without a point.

LJ Bad
12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
What all games in general need is a good balance of gameplay, story, and graphics.
Try to keep your dungeons fun and challenging. Try to make all of your tiles pleasing to look at. And above all, try to keep your game from getting boring.

Try to give your game a very interesting story, but also don't make it too complicated. When every NPC in the game talks to you for six strings about a random war that happened 500 years ago, I tend to lose interest. But remember that having a unique story in your quest will be what distinguishes it from other quests. I rarely ever even bother playing a quest whose story is just "the basic collect triforces and save Zelda" storyline.

I don't play quests to see the little monsters explode, because that gets boring after about five seconds. I play quests to fight my way through an interesting but simple storyline.

Zelda_Warrior
01-14-2006, 12:20 AM
well collecting 8 golden triangles IS interesting but simple... o.o

but really, try to add a good amount of detail in your graphics in your quest, and select music that fits the current mood well.

firefly
01-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Do NOT do this.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/Screenshots/zelda040.jpg
If you know you can do this:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/Screenshots/Good.gif
(well, that's a screen that took me only 1 minute to make, I made it like that just to make it look like the 1st one but a little better).

firefly
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Do NOT do this.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/Screenshots/zelda040.jpg
If you know you can do this:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/FireflyZC/Screenshots/Good.gif
(well, that's a screen that took me only 1 minute to make, but it can be good for newcomers to make, I made it like that just to make it look like the 1st one but a little better).

MagmaLord
04-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, how about some advice from an oldbie?

Music can add a lot to the quest if chosen wisely, I didn't realize this till my last few quests, but if you want to you you can just add music that you particularly like, heck it's your quest do what you want.

Another suggestion, make the colors pleasing to the eye, while red and blue might be good colors you might want to darken them some, and they really are too bright when added together in a color scheme.

Characters: While some may think that using familiar characters, if you are good at making tiles might I suggest introducing new characters, who knows maybe your character will be the next big videogame icon.

TheLamer
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
I think writing a faq to go along with your quest is extremely important . How many times have you been stuck on someones poorly desighned quest?? It's not like game faqs keeps these things on pop .

I don't like cheating but some parts of games are ridiculous . I.E. Lost woods parts where you have to go up so many times and left etc , this is a staple of zelda , but to me was always extremely annoying . That example doesnt really apply to ZC but you get my drift .

hobo 575
05-18-2006, 10:54 PM
also make a good compelling story

LinkMaster500
05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Regarding TheLamer's point on being stuck on a quest, you might want to put in overworld caves or dungeon rooms where a guy gives you hints. For example, you can use a "clue room" to provide Link with a hint on how to eventually finish the dungeon or on where to go or what to do next.

Of course, you could go to extremes and write a complete walkthrough, but then that would give everything away.

gryxzl
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Been done back in the 1.84 days of zc - quest was by Alex Foley, written in FRENCH, and was called SADIC (French is sadique) Quest. I'm currently working on a re-write of it... - gryxzl

Stantzfield
07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Here's a tip, add a little humor to the quest

WindStrike
07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Make some references to some of the Zelda Games. It's not one of those 'guaranteed to improve a quest,' but if you can pull it off well enough, it may work. Heck, you could probably pull a reference or two from some other quests.

zeldafan500
07-28-2006, 06:59 AM
I think you shoudn't make it too hard, just keep it moderately challenging. I perfer fun quests over overly hard quests. And I know a way to make a good qust. First, open Zeldaclassic in fullscreen. Then hold Alt and press tab. Then load the quest editor. Now, at any time you can press alt+tab to switch from making the quest from playing it! Though you need to press 'reset' in the menu for any changes you make to take effect. It's a good way to test it for bugs.

Love For Fire
07-28-2006, 09:27 AM
That's not a good idea. I've tried that before and if you save changes in ZQuest while you're playing that quest in ZC, it will crash.

zeldafan500
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
:confused: That never happenes to me.

Pineconn
07-30-2006, 01:00 AM
When I alt-tab out of ZC, then bring ZC back up, the colors are screwed up. The border is pink, the transparent layers look funny, and anything in CSet 0 looks funny. This used to happen anytime I opened ZC, but fixed it by disabling some nVidia enhancer program... Some enhancer.

LinkMaster500
07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Let's not forget probably the most important thing with quests. There should be NO BUGS whatsoever. You can have the finest graphics, story line, music, etc... But no one will play a quest that has errors that keep the player from being able to finish the game because the designer forgot to fix them.

ShadowTiger
07-31-2006, 11:33 PM
On that note, Read this topic as well (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21629). It's definitely a "What NOT to do."

erm2003
07-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Let's not forget probably the most important thing with quests. There should be NO BUGS whatsoever. You can have the finest graphics, story line, music, etc... But no one will play a quest that has errors that keep the player from being able to finish the game because the designer forgot to fix them.

Which means test it out several times. The only major bug I had in my quest was a last minute change that I didn't test out myself. It's good to have other people testing it as well since they will try things you didn't intend which may help find more bugs you need to fix that you wouldn't have noticed on your own.

ECNM
08-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Give your dungeons a theme, then build them. Try to make the puzzles and enemies in your dungeon fit into that dungeon's theme. Also, try to make the item logical for that dungeon. To point out an extreme case, don't put the Flippers in a lava/fire-themed dungeon unless you're totally sadistic.

The_Amaster
08-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I actually use aquamentus as my first boss, and place blocks in the room that make it difficult to dodge his attacks. Very effective for making him more of a challange.

SpacemanDan
08-17-2006, 04:17 PM
(These are no particular order...)

-Eye candy is good in a quest, but be sure to put gameplay first. You could have the best looking overworld with dungeons that look amazing, nobody will play it if all you do is walk around aimlessly. Don't get me wrong, detailed screens are good too.
-Secrets! Make darn sure there are things players can do before and after a dungeon. It's no fun if all you're doing is going from point A to point B with nothing to do on the way. Wether it would be Heart Peices or a whole dungeon for an item, it really makes it more enjoyable.
-A story is good, too. Brainstorm, and see what kind of ideas you can come up with, you never know.
-Make an outline of your quest you can refer to. It can be as simple as what you want to include, and what the levels are, or as complicated as giving detailed illustrations of your overworld, and exactly where the key for this door is in eah level. What ever works.
-Experiment! Make a quick test quest to test new things BEFORE putting it in your good quest.
-Dungeon design is something you should keep in mind. It's alot more fun to have to search for the boss key, than to have it sitting right next to the boss door. Make numerous passages and hidden secrets so it dosn't turn out as the most linear dungeon on earth.
-Puzzles are important! From block puzzles to ladder/hookshot puzzles, you should put some things to keep players busy in your quest.
-Variety is also good! If all an overworld is is a bunch of trees and mountains, all being the exact same, you'll get bored. Make some change in the atmosphere. Maybe your next destination will be the Dark Forest of Flying Monkeys!
-Setting and mood are crucial. If you're in a cheery town, don't have a dark, evil MIDI playing. If the shadow dungeon is dark, and scary, don't use bright colours.
-Try something nobody has ever seen before! It will add to the enjoyment if it's fresh, and new. (If it's done right)
-Midis are crucial for setting mood. Use a bright and cheery midi for the Happy Mouse Village Of Cheese.:drool:(Yum!)
-MAKE IT BUG FREE! You heard me! Make it bug free, or I WILL send Old man Jenkins to do it properly. (j/k) Serously, though, make sure you beta test your quest as well as allowing others.
-Give hints for things that aren't that obvious. It's no fun trying to find the maze path if all you have to go on is the exit path.
-Keep updated! Now, I don't mean if a new version comes out, you HAVE to use it, but I mean, if you use the first version on ZC, then, you are missing out on alot. Some may want to use 2.10 until 2.11 is done.
-Read some tutorials, learn some new things you may want to include in your quest. You never know what you may find.
-Lastly, (for now, anyways...) have fun!

LinkMaster500
08-20-2006, 12:22 AM
One further note on puzzles--TEST THEM to make sure they're actually solvable and that what actually happens in terms of secrets is what you intended.

What I like to do for convenience is to put a warp from the beginning screen directly to the puzzle room. That way, I save time when testing puzzles. Then, of course, remove the warp when you know the puzzle works.

Also, you don't necessarily have to design the quest so that you have to play Levels 1-8 in order. Have some sort of nonlinearlity that allows some variation in the dungeon order like what we had in the original game.

zeldafan500
08-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Try not to make it TOO hard, just challenging. It can be sorta hard in certain places, (like levels 8 and 9) but I just don't like quests that are so hard the game ovber counter is maxed out before I finish Lv.1. Just my opinion/suggestion.

DarkLink867
07-16-2007, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=boram_c;1005632]Another idea: avoid providing the hammer early, especially before the player is able to receive the Magical Sword (Sword Lvl 3); otherwise, most Darknuts will become too easy and other high-stamina enemies will fall quickly too. Unless you force the player to give up the sword for a while (i.e. forcing the player to take a hit from a Red Bubble with no Blue Bubble in close proximity), do not give the hammer too early.[/QUOTE

I completely agree. the hammer just makes it too easy unless you got either
1. a ton of death kights in the next room or something like that. or

2. A take-away-item-forever bubble right there and its the only item they have

Also DON'T give away Din's fire (or any of the spells for that matter) too early, doing that makes the game a cakewalk

DarkFlameWolf
07-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Don't involve yourself with other people in a group quest, you may not always get what you want or planned.

Petoe
07-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Don't involve yourself with other people in a group quest, you may not always get what you want or planned.

Indeed! Never make a group quest with anyone! A group quest project will most probably fail. :scared:

DarkFlameWolf
07-16-2007, 09:16 PM
And if you do, make sure you both aren't Type A personalities/quest makers. That could lend to a lot of troubles and headaches in the design department. XD

zeldapro
07-17-2007, 05:14 AM
TIPS:ok first of all make sure you play your qwest to test for bugs.Then make it fun so the player does not get bored and make it somewhat of a challeng some times short qwests are good but not all the time.

Anarchy_Balsac
07-27-2007, 05:49 AM
What about strategically leaving the "right" bugs in the game? Like in mine, I constructed a minus world around an oversight where I accidently allowed the player to go where they shouldn't have. As a bonus, there's a super minus world within it which wasn't intended, but for nostalgia's sake, I left it in.(was orignally supposed to be a room with a guy telling you that you found the minus world)

I_H8__GTA
08-09-2007, 02:22 PM
I read in the forst post of this topic of a Quest of the Year Honor, but I don't see anything anywhere else about a Quest of the Year. Can someone recap them please? I want to play them.

DarkLink867
09-18-2007, 10:38 PM
A good way to keep the end of your quest from being boring and drab is to throw a plot twist in at the very end (hopefully you'll see what I mean :sly:)

AmazingAmpharos
09-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I find making the last dungeon the hardest one keeps it interesting more than just using a plot twist.

bob1000
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Back to the boomerang, I have a few ideas if you're using 2.5:
*Before placing an enemy type for the first time, check "Damaged by Power 0 Boomerang/Hookshot" on that enemy. Time-consuming, but if you're adding a sort of "saber throw" to your quest, it works. If you use this idea, make sure to add attack power to the boomerang.
*Make the boomerang cost magic. It will make you think twice before using it.

Also, on bosses:
*Use an Aquamentus as a sub-boss for Level 1(you get the dungeon item when you kill it).
*Custom boss for beginners: Early in the game, use a common enemy found later in the game (like a Wizzrobe) and put it on several screens.

EDIT: I read that using a powerful enemy early on caused problems with people in one quest. To avoid these problems, try giving Link the white sword early or reducing the enemy's attack power.

Santano64neo
11-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Also, avoid story lines where you have to re-create a certain overworld over and over again. I tryed that once and as a rookie, ended up putting off the quest. Now I'm creating one with a bit of a plot(eg. an actual reason for collecting the "Triforce") while making the overworld a bit more scattered.
It saves time on re-building overworlds and you don't have to worry about a "What if the player gets that heart piece and the one I'm using in the re-created overworld?"

Din
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Storyline: Not the usual "Hey, let's save Zelda for the nine hundred septillionth time!" A good story makes use of plot twists, and giving an actual cause for fighting. Hero of Dreams was a great example of this.

Bosses: It may take a lot of time to make custom bosses, but it's worth it. Good bosses punish the player for mistakes, but allow the player to learn what they did and come back for more. Plus, add in a fun factor, and decent music and arena, and voila!

Difficulty: Now, a good quest should start out very easily and give a player a chance to learn the basic controls, perhaps starting out with a dungeon to proceed in the quest, and fairly easy so it doesn't kill the player. Meanwhile, later on, the dungeons slowly get more challenging, but not completely exceeding their skill level thus far.

Sword: Okay, we all know how valuable the sword is, but make the player work for it! Perhaps start out the player with low ability, giving them items that are hard to kill enemies with, such as the boomerang and the candle. Then, when the player finally gets their sword, they realize that they are pretty much okay without it. Although I don't need the sword, there are many players who do. So, perhaps have a "Hero's Cave" style dungeon, in which the reward at the end is a sword.

Extra Dungeons: Easily what keeps the player coming back to the dungeon. Make decent extra dungeons by adding GTL. These would be Gimmick, Time, and Layout.

Shazza Dani
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Sword: Okay, we all know how valuable the sword is, but make the player work for it! Perhaps start out the player with low ability, giving them items that are hard to kill enemies with, such as the boomerang and the candle. Then, when the player finally gets their sword, they realize that they are pretty much okay without it. Although I don't need the sword, there are many players who do. So, perhaps have a "Hero's Cave" style dungeon, in which the reward at the end is a sword.

This is the worst idea ever. You see it in so many quests, and it's so irritating to fight enemies without the sword. Especially when you have the Boomerang and the only enemies you can kill are Gels and Keese, because those enemies can never drop hearts. And making the player fight Bats is just cruel.

Not to mention giving the player the Boomerang from the very start is foolish, because stunning enemies makes combat so easy once you actually have a sword—you should have to wait at least a little while before getting the Boomerang in a quest.

As for the Candle, it's arguably more effective in battle than the sword if it doesn't require magic, and it's also a common item to trigger secrets, so why give it away at the beginning?

DarkFlameWolf
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Or you could do like Lost Isle with the 'no sword in beginning' and only set it away from the player by about 4-5 screens. So he stumbles across it early in the quest.

Moo2wo
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
A tip from me is try not to use graphics that are better than the game. While appearence is important, having a solid, enjoyable, bug-free quest is more important. Look at End of Time! It uses the most basic tileset (classic with LttP Lava) and it's my personal favorite.

Orithan
08-05-2010, 04:12 AM
1> YEAR BUMP! (I hope I didn't Gravedig)

I may be a newbie, but here's a good suggestion, try to create dungeons that have an unusal characteristic to give them that added flair, like for example, a dungeon with water on one half and with lava on the other like in Link's Birthday, but with the trait of switching the two enviroments around via central switch, make flooded ares filled with lava and vice versa, make some burning tiles cooler and warm up freezing tiles to make paths, also change the enemy sets around for those areas when you flip the switch, and of course, make the changes reversible when you hit the switch again, like for example, you want reach a speific key that's surronded by burning-hot tiles, flip that switch, and those burning-hot tiles are gone, so you can acess the key, but what if you wanted go through a door and now the waterfall over it is now frozen, just flip the switch again and presto! The dungeon is back to normal, save for the key you just got. I think a similar thing is being implented in Neofirst.

Other elaborate additions to dungeons:

A maze where if you take a wrong turn, you either die or go back to the entrance.
A darkened dungeon when you go a little bit into it, you get chased by monsters untill the end of the dungeon, that kill you in just one hit.
You can only access the boss if you have a speific person following you around and you enter the boss room with him/her (Blind in LttP).
You can rotate the between four seasons so you can get to certain areas of the dungeon in one season you couldn't in the other.
You can go from the interior to the exterior of the dungeon (TP's Snowpeak Ruins).
Guards that throw you into jail if they see you (Shoelace's Hero of Dreams, Fort Wolfblin).

That the all I can think of right now. If theres any more, I'll be working on a Super Metroid hack tonight because Zquest 2.5 betas won't work on my laptop but ZC does, and I will have acess to a computer that loads it on Friday to Sunday. Ciao!

Edit: Whoops! I forgot to add someting.