PDA

View Full Version : The Better Rivalry

phattonez
04-17-2004, 08:26 PM
This week, Fox has been advertising the series between the Red Sox and the Yankess. They are giving up prime time slots for this and hyping up the rivalry to make it seem like a rivalry. You may have your beliefs, but I believe the Dodgers - Giants rivalry is better and the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry is not a rivalry at all. Because of the game today, The Dodgers and Giants are tied for wins against each other for however many years they have played against each other. I believe it was 977. The Yankees and Red Sox: the Yankees always win. It is not a rivalry if one team always wins. My last fact is one that is not well known. In some year, around 1900, the Dodgers were the champions of the AA (American Assosciation) and the Giants were the champions of the NL. The two teams had an exhibition and the Giants won in 9 games. Because the rivalry was so intense because of these games, the Dodgers went to the NL. Has that happened with the Yankees and Red Sox?

Which do you believe is the better rivalry now?

And finally, my last statement: GO DODGERS!

Beldaran
04-17-2004, 08:33 PM
I think the Yanks/Sox rivalry is better because of the controversy surrounding the trade of Babe Ruth from Boston to New York, and now the same thing with Alex Rodriguez, whom Boston had an oppertunity to acquire but flubbed it.

With that said, I think all baseball sucks and is boring, so I don't care either way.:)

phattonez
04-17-2004, 08:36 PM
So then you believe trades make for a better rivalry? How about this: the Dodgers were about to trade Jackie Robinson to the Giants. Because he did not want to be a Giant, he retired from baseball. That shows that the rivalry is better. Has that occured between the Red Sox and Yankees?

Starkist
04-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Hate to break it to you, but the Dodgers and Giants have no rivalry these days, especially since the Dodgers suck.

The Yankees / Red Sox rivalry was born when Boston sold pitcher Babe Ruth to New York, thus beginning the dreaded curse. It continued even this off season when Alex Rodriguez, almost traded to Boston, ended up in New York. Last season the two teams met in the ALCS, and Boston would have finally returned to the World Series if not for the bat of Aaron Boone. Seriously, LA / SF has nothing on Boston / New York.

phattonez
04-17-2004, 08:59 PM
The Dodgers suck? since when does 8-3 suck? You know who sucks, the Mariners, thats who. The Dodgers and Giants have always stopped each other from going to the playoffs. Look at past years.

Also, you didn't really post any arguments that say why the other rivalry is better. All you talk about is last year and trades. The Yankees always beat the Red Sox, it is nothing new. The Dodgers and Giants are tied for wins against each other. You do the math, which is the better rivalry?

Starkist
04-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Who is talking about the Mariners?

Seriously, how many times have the Dodgers even made the playoffs recently? The Giants went to the World Series two years ago. Can any casual baseball fan name one Dodger player? The Giants have Barry Bonds, a household name.

Come on, you ask a question then proceed to tell everyone who answers why they are wrong? Maybe in your world the Dodgers and Giants have a big rivalry, but not here on earth.

phattonez
04-17-2004, 09:21 PM
I put this post because of Fox hyping the rivalry. They are saying that it is the best rivalry when I cannot see how it is. The Giants and Dodgers have more history than the Red Sox and Yankess. I firmly believe that the Dodgers Giants rivalry is better.

A casual fan can name a Dodger player. Have you ever heard of Eric Gagne? That is almost a household name. Everyone knows who he is.

500th post

Pablo
04-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Have you ever heard of Eric Gagne? That is almost a household name. Everyone knows who he is.
Who the fuck is Eric Gagne?

Starkist
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Nobody outside of Los Angeles knows who Eric Gagne is, unless like me he is on your fantasy baseball team.

phattonez
04-17-2004, 09:27 PM
The best closer in all of baseball. He has the record for most consecutive saves in a row. I bet you don't watch any sports, especially baseball.

Starkist, anyone who watches baseball knows who Eric Gagne is. Any casual fan would know who he is and what he has accomplished.

Pablo
04-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I bet you don't watch any sports, especially baseball.
Sue me. I only watch the Cubs, and if they've played whatever team your buddy up there is on this season, I missed the game.

Beldaran
04-18-2004, 12:16 AM
I will break it down into simple, logical terms:

The Dodgers suck big steaming penises.

phattonez
04-18-2004, 01:36 AM
I will break it down into simple, logical terms:

The Dodgers suck big steaming penises.

How mature. Alot of uninformed people think that the Dodgers suck. Does having the second best record in all of baseball suck? Does having the player with the highest average suck (Paul LoDuca has an average now higher than .500)? Does having the best closer ever suck? Seriously, look at the facts before you post crap like that.

Master Ghaleon
04-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Red Sox and the Yanks. I hate the Yankees

Starkist
04-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Saying that the Dodgers have the second best record in baseball right now means nothing. Come back in July or August with those claims.

phattonez
04-18-2004, 01:49 AM
What I have seen so far is the media's preference of the east coast. Because this rivalry is in the east coast, the media hypes it up more. It is all because of the time zone difference but it still is not fair. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that more people think the Red Sox Yankees rivalry is better because they hear more about it. If the Dodgers Giants rivalry was on the east coast, more people would know about it. But it's not anymore.

EDIT: You posted ahead of me barely again.

This is the beginning of the season, but there are changes from last year. The Dodgers are producing more runs and are not leaving as many men on base. The game on Friday vs. the Giants was a perfect example. Dave Roberts got to base 3 times buy walks or hits. Cesar Izturis kept moving him over. Milton Bradley got sacrafices every time. He went 0 for 3 with 3 RBI's. These Dodgers focus on moving the runner and getting him home. The pitching is not as good, but if they offense stays like this all season, that won't matter.