PDA

View Full Version : In an attempt to extend the olive branch...

Glenn the Great
04-17-2004, 02:31 AM
For my introductory paragraph, I'd like to first thank War Lord for forgiving me and letting me come back, and while this may not be the case for everyone (at least not yet), I'd like to thank the masses for forgiving me and welcoming me back. I feel though that it is most important that I say that I still feel that the decisions I made, whether they be right or wrong, who knows, but I don't regret them. My decision to turn traitor to AGN by asking PM to consider moving ZC to AZC not only burnt every bridge, but I also made many bridges of steel which I still maintain at my world of ZCN. At ZCN I've met the coolest guy ever, which would be my Commander, Kyle, who pays for the place while I do a variety of jobs mostly relating to maintaining the forums, keeping the atmosphere clean. And everyone there respects me. Why? It's because I'm not a jerk. If I have to moderate someone, I do it in a kind and professional manner. I don't catapult them off the forums and add insult to injury with an immature witty and rude comment. That's also the standard I've set for all of the Moderators I have command over as Forum Marshall. It's amazing how one forum sees me as a saint and another as a devil.

Now the reason I'm here making this post is to invite you to play a game I made with a lot of help from Kyle and significant help from a few others. As you all know, vBulletin is run by PHP with MySQL databases interacting, and every time you click on a PHP link, code gets executed and that code usually adds, modifies, selects, or deletes something from one of the databases, and that something is a determining factor of what the next page will look like. Templates make up the HTML part of the equation, telling what to go where once you've selected data from a database table, and they are made or modified in the AdminControlPanel or ACP.

The idea of this game started sometime last summer when I asked Kyle to set me up with a folder and give me access to it (I have full FTP access now) to do some PHP experiments and I came up with a little text only game which I just called Glenn the Great's RPG out of lack of creativity. Kyle liked the idea and I asked him to teach me more about all the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph. We made a second version of the game, and got about 50 players, and everyone loved it and it was the center of almost every discussion. Then with the 3rd, and current game, which took the work of 4 or 5 people over 2 months (mainly because Kyle is still in school and he's got a lot of homework and he has a bedtime) we went all out and created a wonderful game which now has somewhere around 40 people playing last time I checked, which is good considering all the people who left the forums between v2 and v3.

This game was inspired by Final Fantasy 6. You can play as one of 7 classes which emulate 7 of the game's characters statistics-wise, and you choose one of 5 innate elements which determine your resistance and weakness to magical attacks, and what spells you will learn. Each day you have 15 turns to spend which reset along with your health at Midnight Pacific. You can spend them hunting for monsters to get EXP and GP, you can spend them attacking other people in the game (which is the most fun part for some people) and getting EXP and GP based off their worth. Characters that get attacked fight back independently using a set of 5 AI programs designed by Yours Truly. Characters must be in your location and must be alive to attack them. You can spend a turn to change your location. There is a shop to buy weapons and all sorts of armor as well as relics and healing potions. There's an inn where you can regain all of your HP and MP. There are two official warring clans that you can join via Group Memberships. The game has character sprites and graphical colored bars to represent your status. My part in the game was creating the infrastructure program which Kyle built upon, and working out the mathematics which have turned out to work successfully. There are 150 monsters, 91 items (many of which are rare and must be unlocked whenever we get out of our hiatus and add more features to the game like scenario missions.)

Now, before I say anything else, this is not an attempt to draw members away from AGN and become active members of ZCN. The reason I say this is because your account is linked to your player for reasons I cannot say yet. We used to have everyone's status in their postbit but that's gone for some reason. In other words, you have to be a registered member to play, so to prove to you that this isn't a membergrabbing scam, I will post a descriptive screenshot of the game so you can get an idea of what it's like, and if you're interested, come on over and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, leave.

It's called Forum Fantasy v3.0 in honor of Final Fantasy 3, which is what the game was based on. Here's the picture:

http://www.zcnetwork.net/glenn/ffrpgsample.jpg

The game is at ZCN, I think you should know where to find it, and you will see a forum called Forum Fantasy. That's where you create your character and learn all the rest about this game.

I'm just trying to offer AGN members something fun to try as a way of making peace.

Thanks for your time.

Lilith
04-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Advertising alert! Pwned.

Glenn the Great
04-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Rent a mod alert! Pwned. Nice try.

By the way, I don't see how it breaks the rules. I'm presenting something positive, and I have the link to my forums in my signature.

Starkist
04-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Although it bothers me that you have to register elsewhere to play this game, I see nothing wrong with the post. Here at AGN we encourage our members to better their skills and show the projects they have been working on.

Lilith - I know how much you want to help, and how much you love Glenn here, but let the moderators do their jobs?

Lilith
04-17-2004, 02:50 AM
I'm sorry Starkist. Remember how much I <3 you. You are one of my ultimate faves. All <3 no h8! :D

raptorscyther
04-17-2004, 02:53 AM
Nice concept. That would do really well in RP Boards.

Gerudo
04-17-2004, 03:36 AM
i have not yet had the chance to use that feature. i think ill do that when i get home....

looks pretty sweet :thumbsup:

Masamune
04-17-2004, 11:10 AM
i remember my friend designing his own forum software (it kicked major ass as well) along with a feature like this already built it. i'll check it out though.

Rainman
04-17-2004, 07:17 PM
It seems pretty integrated into the board, which seems like a pratical way to do it on a board like that. Either way it looks like a cool game. Maybe or maybe not my type of game though. I'll try it out sometime. I don't really have much interest in sigining up for the forum though.

Archibaldo
04-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Seems kinda complicated. But I would like to try it out some time !

Glenn the Great
04-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah, it is unfortunate that you have to sign up to our forum, but if you really have no interest in becoming a poster, signing up is just a simple chore and you're not obligated to post anything. If on the other hand you DO want to become a poster we have nothing against that and I'll see to it that no one gives you any trouble since you're an AGNer.

One other thing, I'd appreciate it if we could get some outsider evaluation of the game. Everyone at ZCN is going to say it was great because 2 of the owners did most of the work, and maybe someone from AGN could make some suggestions, and if any of you know PHP code you may contact me and Kyle because we have an error we can't fix. It all of a sudden started happening when we upgraded the forums to Gold. No changes were made to the code. If we could get someone like Shadowblazer for example to review the code, that would be splendiferous. If you guys really like the game and our forums become friendly with one another, we MAY give AGN all of the code to make your own copy of the game for AGN. No promises though, because Kyle has a say in this too and he's told me before that he likes to think of the game as our trademark.

SixTen
04-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry Starkist. Remember how much I <3 you. You are one of my ultimate faves. All <3 no h8! :D

AHHH!! More heart / testicles!!

Haven't checked the game out yet, but I will soon! :)