PDA

View Full Version : Classic Adventure games and SCUMMVM!

vegeta1215
04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Are any of you guys fans of classic adventure games? You know, the point 'n click games of the late 80s and early 90s where you collect items and solve puzzles? (like Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Sam and Max, etc)

I've been following this project online for a while, and finally decided to give it a try. The project is called SCUMMVM (http://www.scummvm.org), and it lets you play all those old adventure games built with the SCUMM engine on any modern day computer! (You need your original game data files of course) I got the src.rpm from their site, built it on my Linux box, and in 15 minutes I was playing Maniac Mansion - which I still had the floppy discs for. I tell ya, it is so cool. Plus they have different kinds of sound modes and graphic modes (like in emulators that smooth out the graphics an text) You guys should really try it out.

Maniac Mansion is one of the few adventure games I've played, but now I can play others too, if I can get ahold of them. Have any of you guys used SCUMMVM or have any favorite adventure games?

deathbyhokie
04-14-2004, 12:08 PM
kings quest was always a fun series. untile the 7th or 8th one when they ran out of ideas:-/. unfortunatly, most of the adventure games i still have are on 5" floppies. yeah, those big black discs.

EDIT: i forgot leisure suit larry. as a 10 year old i spent forever trying to figure out the answers to the questions so i could play it on dirty mode

MANDRAG GANON
04-14-2004, 12:48 PM
I used to play Maniac Mansion all the time but alwyas got stuck in some vault or something. I also used to play the Hugo series on the comp if anyone knows of that.

Bloodstar64
04-14-2004, 01:19 PM
I also used to play the Hugo series on the comp if anyone knows of that.

Somewhere around my house, I've got the Hugo series on disk. Lemme see if I can find it again...

vegeta1215
04-14-2004, 01:31 PM
EDIT: i forgot leisure suit larry. as a 10 year old i spent forever trying to figure out the answers to the questions so i could play it on dirty mode

You played Leisure Suite Larry when you were 10? :odd: (I say this because it's a pretty adult oriented game last time I checked) I actually have the complete boxed set of Leisure Suit Larry 6 lying around here somewhere which was my Dad's.

Now that I think about it, the Jurassic Park game on Sega-CD was an adventure game. I didn't own a Sega-CD, but my friend did, and I went over his house to play it all the time. The Jurassic Park game was really neat, and it was timed so that made it even harder (Sonic CD on Sega-CD was also awesome. It's a shame its not on the Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube)

deathbyhokie
04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
it is. but the version we had had settings for the adult content. it would ask you how old you were when you started it up. and depending on the age you gave it, the gae would ask you age appropriate questions(for example, some of them were about the cuban missle crisis, some about member of the mama's and the papa's.) by the time i had figured out the answers to the questions though, i was over 18. so the protection worked in a way.

Jakq
04-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Someone should make a new one of these.

AlexMax
04-14-2004, 03:09 PM
I've got Day of the Tentacle. It's great.

Pangolin
04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Did anyone ever play "Normality?" It was a game like that where everyone had to be normal or go to prison. Quite odd, really.

vegeta1215
04-15-2004, 01:40 AM
I was seaching the web today and found this pretty neat adventure game online. You need flash to play it. It's got some really good puzzles, but be warned...it will put you in a trance, and before you know it, 2 hours will have passed :tongue: I got up to level 12 before calling it quits.

LOGAN's Mystery Of Time And Space Adventure (http://www.albartus.com/motas/)