PDA

View Full Version : Search the forum?

lukeprog
03-31-2004, 03:16 PM
The FAQ says there's a link at the top of most pages to search the forum, but I sure am not seeing it, even when logged in and viewing any forums subsection or post.

Blonde799
03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Maybe you haven't posted enough?

deathbyhokie
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
possibly because search isn't enabled. at least not for regular members

Blonde799
03-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Heh. Yeah, that's it...:p

theplustwo
03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
The staff disabled it because it was consuming too much bandwidth on the server. You just have to change the way the threads are sorted if you want to look through them. :shrug:

Blonde799
03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Yeah, what the +2 said.*wink* j/k

Well, it's not like the best threads are on page 38 or something.:p

lukeprog
03-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Well, for example, I wanted to know if someone had already posted about whether or PC "emulation" of A Link to the Past has been planned, etc., and I don't want to post the question again if it has already been answered, but I suppose I'll have to.

SixTen
03-31-2004, 04:06 PM
You can get an emulator and after searching for hours you might find a working link to the ROM. That's how I got LTTP before my old PC died.

Yoshiman
03-31-2004, 04:16 PM
You can get an emulator and after searching for hours you might find a working link to the ROM. That's how I got LTTP before my old PC died.
You won't find working links to ROMs on AGN though. It's forbidden. Emulators though, are permitted.

SixTen
03-31-2004, 04:25 PM
I thought emulators were also forbidden. Huh. Well I don't think you will find them here anyway.

Draconis
03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
QUOTING THE MAIN FORUM PAGE: 'Note: Requests for ROMS or links to ROMS will be deleted and the poster will be warned.'

Blonde799
03-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Well, for example, I wanted to know if someone had already posted about whether or PC "emulation" of A Link to the Past has been planned, etc., and I don't want to post the question again if it has already been answered, but I suppose I'll have to.
Haven't heard any plan of a lttp editor around here(i know that's what you want lol). Open Zelda's the next best thing.

SixTen
03-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Speaking of OZ, What happened to that? I saw it a couple years ago in the forums. Then I was away for a year or two. Then I actually signed up and it was gone. Similarly, (just out of curiousity) what happened to the knights templar? A lot has changed.

Blonde799
03-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Open Zelda moved to GU(Gaming Universe). KT was probably OOTP(Order of the Phoenix), that's gone, deleted.

AtmaWeapon
03-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Actually, I will chronicle what happened to OZ right up until I quit following it.

I started writing stuff for OZ sometime between a year and a year and a half ago. I liked it because it actually consistently worked with Windows XP, compared to ZC which frequently screws up my computer. I noticed something lacking was the spinning sword technique, and got to work on adding that. The input was coded wrong, though, and made it impossible, so I went to work on other things.

Just like DN, the developer of OZ (known as GD to those who were 'in') was always under pressure to fix bugs. Largest on the list were the designer only working with 16-bit color and the fact that when a quest was saved, flags were not, so you'd come back to find bosses unbeaten, treasures in their chests again, and many other undesirable effects. My input bug was somewhere in there too. However, GD either got busy or tired of the project or both and made OZ open source (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openzelda/). I personally know one of the developers (system_failure), and he was gung-ho for working on it at the start. Apparently some of the bugs were fixed. But since OZ was open source, it was no longer an Armageddon Game, and the forums were lost.

I believe it did move to GU for a while, I pretty much quit when it went open source. Judging from the date of the last updates (10/03 for the designer, 1/03 for the engine), I'd say there hasn't been a flurry of development. However, (http://openzelda.sourceforge.net) this site has pretty recent dates, so maybe they just abandoned the normal sourceforge page. (I'm not very credible here, I spent a grand total of 1 minute looking over it.)

It's a shame, at one point I envisioned you'd have ZC for classic Zelda action and OZ for SNES style action. Now, ZC is more like ALttP than OZ when I used it last. If I knew enough, I'd hop on and take the project as a child, but I have neither the time nor knowledge.