PDA

View Full Version : R.O.B. is mine!

AtmaWeapon
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
I just got my shipment from this auction. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085264047&category=62054&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1) I am VERY happy. It is not a total victory, R.O.B. had two little plastic hands that are missing from this set, but I will tell you what I did win from this auction:

The Legend of Zelda in better shape than my own beloved cart! The Adventure of Link in the same condition as above Gyromite in box with instructions (does not work currently, more on that below) Duck Hunt in box with instructions (I've never seen DH by itself on a cart before) Grey zapper gun 2 working controllers R.O.B. with almost all accessories in excellent shape NES unit suffering from a case of bad connector.

I'm somewhat disappointed about not being able to play with the R.O.B., but he looks really cool so I think I'll just bid on another one and try to get either a lower price or another NES with more games. He is holding a place of honor on top of my entertainment center right now, surveying the living room in all his glory.

I was testing the NES today while on the phone with my girl, and no sooner had I said "I think this NES is busted" but Zelda came on screen. I was so used to it not working I actually turned the system off! I then had a confused look on my face and quickly turned it on again. SMB3, Gyromite, and Duck Hunt do not work in this NES, but the Zelda games require enough love (any frequent NES user knows what I'm talking about) that I'm sure it's the NES, not the games, that are at fault.

I'm hooked up, though. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3086687625&category=3605&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1) I've done the DIY bend-the-pins method with good results on 3 NES units now, so I have no qualms about opening them again to place a new connector in.

I'm very pleased. Even though not everything was 100% OK, these Zelda carts are a fantastic win for me. I can't wait to get the hands for R.O.B. so I can try Gyromite with him. Heck, I don't even need another working R.O.B., this one goes through the motions the manual says it should, so he should be cool.

Now I'm looking for a good top loader at a decent price. That is going to be a doozy, as they easily fetch twice the cost of a box NES unit. :/ It may not matter, though, these connectors seem to be steadily available on eBay, and if the bend-the-pins method works I know a new connector will.

It's not like I'm going to void my warranty or anything.

SixTen
03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Are you liiking for just cool NES accessories? or ALL the NES accessories? If ur looking for all, then you are missing some.

I just tried to hook up my old NES the other day. It doesn't work. :(

Rainman
03-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Dude, what the fuck is R.O.B?

Orion
03-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Hehe, but you don't have the toploader NES, do you :D.

SixTen
03-30-2004, 11:46 PM
I never heard of a toploader NES.

--googles it--

Ahh, yes, I think that was the european version. I remember seeing something like that in the Netherlands and Germany.

vegeta1215
03-31-2004, 12:31 AM
That sucks that you can't play with R.O.B. cause of his broken hands. My friend had one of those, it was neat. R.O.B. is just one of those quirky things Nintendo made ;)

I'm hooked up, though. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3086687625&category=3605&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1) I've done the DIY bend-the-pins method with good results on 3 NES units now, so I have no qualms about opening them again to place a new connector in.

Now I'm looking for a good top loader at a decent price. That is going to be a doozy, as they easily fetch twice the cost of a box NES unit. :/ It may not matter, though, these connectors seem to be steadily available on eBay, and if the bend-the-pins method works I know a new connector will.

It's not like I'm going to void my warranty or anything.

Once you install that new connector, you won't need a Top-Loading NES. ;)

This page used to have really good instructions on installing the 72 pin connector, http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dsullo/nes.htm, but so many people have referred to his guide that it looks like he's now selling it for $4 :(

UPDATE: I found the guide else where online: http://www.videogex.com/repair.htm

fatcatfan
03-31-2004, 12:41 AM
I guess I should see what I can get for my power glove...

Kirby of Doom
03-31-2004, 01:25 AM
While we're on the topic of old Nintendo stuff, I have two Zelda scene figure things. Both of them have a grey bottom and back wall and a place to put a high score; one is Link shooting a keese, and the other is Link and a trap on the ground. Dunno if they're official, but maybe I'll take pictures when I have the chance. What's weird is that when I was around 4 or 5 I was really into Zelda, even though I only watched the tv show. :shrug:

zables
03-31-2004, 03:34 AM
As Rainman asked, what the heck is R.O.B? i have NEVER heard of it before? does it hold a real point or is it just a cool collectors item to have?

Cloral
03-31-2004, 04:11 AM
There were 2 games for the NES that require it. It can grasp objects and by manipulating it you interact with the game. Other than that I really can't say, having never seen one myself.

Dark Nation
03-31-2004, 04:12 AM
"R.O.B. Robotic Operation Buddy
The ROB robot only supports 2 NES games (Stack Up, and Gyromite) and is only recommend to serious video game collectors. The thing is really quite useless because of it's slow reaction time, and thing even needs the use of 4 AA batteries and 1 D battery. The original ROB also comes with a bunch of gyros, add ons, and platforms plus the game Stack Up as some very rare additional supports as well."

Basically, while playing the game, you would hit pause, then issue commands to the ROB with the controller and it would either pick up a gyro, move, or put down a gyro. There was a spinner device that would make the gyros spin. So, you tell rob to pick up a spinning gyro and put it onto one of the levers (which were attached to the two buttons on controller 2) to make things happen in the game (such as barriers moving either up or down).

More information can be found at: http://www.nintendoland.com/nes/access.htm#ROB

bigjoe
03-31-2004, 05:47 AM
Heh, ROB isnt such a bad concept. It should be re-explored with modern technology and themes.

Like Pokemon. What if there was a Pokeball that you could actually throw on the ground and it made a fighting holograph appear?

vegeta1215
03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
While we're on the topic of old Nintendo stuff, I have two Zelda scene figure things. Both of them have a grey bottom and back wall and a place to put a high score; one is Link shooting a keese, and the other is Link and a trap on the ground. Dunno if they're official, but maybe I'll take pictures when I have the chance. What's weird is that when I was around 4 or 5 I was really into Zelda, even though I only watched the tv show. :shrug:

They're official ;) I used to have all but one of the Zelda scenes - the one I was missing was the one with Link climbing a ladder with a tektite on the ground. The different scenes are:

- Link and a trap
- Link fighting a green dragon that is coming out of the ground
- Link shooting his bow and arrow at a keese
- Link and a gidbo
- Link climbing a ladder with a tektite on the ground

But, I got rid of them long ago, and only saved one - the one with Link shooting his bow and arrow at a keese. They also had Mario scenes and Punch Out scenes, but I never had any of those. Nintendo had the coolest merchandise back in the late 80s early 90s. Most of my Zelda collection is from those days (btw, I just got the last Zelda comic to complete my collection! :D)

AtmaWeapon
03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
I HATE THE GODFORSAKEN FORUMS I HAD A POST THAT TOOK ME 10 MINUTES TO TYPE WHERE I PAINSTAKINGLY RIDICULED THE POSTERS WHO NEGLECTED TO READ MY POST AND KEPT ASKING WHAT AN R.O.B. WAS AND I WENT ON EBAY TO SEE IF THERE WAS A GOOD POWER GLOVE TO LINK TO AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WHEN I COME BACK TO THIS WINDOW THERE IS NO MORE POST.

Anyway, I am indeed missing a couple of peripherals. I need a Power Pad and a Power Glove, I am not interested in the Satellite, NES Advantage, or Miracle keyboard. I remember this cool thing that you waved your hands at it or something and it worked like a controller, it was called something-force or something like that. I might look for one of those, too.

I would love a top loader system, but they are mucho expensive. Stuff like this makes me wish I had spent my money on NES items instead of crappy games like Mortal Kombat when I was younger.

SixTen
03-31-2004, 07:34 PM
I have a power pad. I used to love to play that track and field game.

PrfectGREG
04-05-2004, 08:21 PM
ROB kicks ass, and my NES, power pad, light gun is in perect working order. I have it hooked up and its next to my Xbox. Never thoguht I would see that day.

AtmaWeapon
04-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Somebody should so do a mod that converts a Power Pad to a DDR mat. That would be awesome.