PDA

View Full Version : The Official help me with CDs thread

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2004, 05:17 PM
First, I have a purchase I am making today. I will either buy FFVI Piano Collections, FFIV Celtic Moon, or FFVI Grande Finale. All intrigue me, and eventually I will buy all three, but the price is prohibitive and I will spread them out. My first question is if anyone has purchased them, what was your opinion? The FFVI ones are more exciting to me, as its music impacted me more. Also, I know that I love orchestral music and piano music, but I am less familiar with Celtic music. I'm thinking a lot of the stuff in tWW was Celtic-sounding, but I'm unsure if I know what Celtic music really is.

Second, I am looking for a new genre to collect. My Aerosmith collection is only missing 2 live CDs (I got Honkin' on Bobo today). I started getting into stuff like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden and I really enjoyed them, but I just can't stick with them. I'm thinking I need some jazz, judging from how I feel and what I'm seeking right now. I like two types of jazz (could be the only subtypes, I don't know): the kind you hear on the streets of New Orleans (I used to practically live there, so it really brings back memories), and the type that is generally associated with a dark coffee shop or something. I'd love to post examples of what I like, but I have no jazz at all. Well, I have Jamiroquai, but he's more funk than jazz IMO, and if that's true he's also more suck than funk.

So can anyone suggest some good jazz? It'd be really useful if you could post snippets, too, I could point out what I like and don't like. I hate entering a new genre...

Crap. I just heard "Jesus is on the Main Line" and now I want traditional blues, as well. I'll focus on jazz for now.

Saffith
03-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Can't help with the second part, but I do have all of those FF CDs. It's pretty hard to pick a favorite among them. They're all great.
FFVI Piano Collections comes with sheet music for all the songs, which is pretty nice if you play piano yourself (it ought to, at least - I think there's one edition that doesn't include it).
I love Celtic Moon, but then there are plenty of people who don't like Celtic music. There's a sample here: http://www.ffsymphony.net/mp3s.shtml. A pretty good example, but that's just one track, and they certainly do vary somewhat.

AtmaWeapon
03-28-2004, 01:37 PM
It's still too hard to decide. I think I'm just going to get Piano Collections (I'm hoping and praying for the sheet music version).

No suggestions on jazz?

*EDIT*
OMG I JUST NOTICED THERE WAS A FFIV PIANO COLLECTIONS!!!!

*swoon*

Saffith
03-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Oh, there are lots of Piano Collections. There's one each for 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10.
(Edit: Oh, apparently, there's also a 7 now.)