PDA

View Full Version : A "Beta.qst" testing device.

ShadowTiger
03-26-2004, 03:42 PM
I've been speaking with a number of people, and devised an interesting idea I thought would be useful. Suppose we decided to put together a .qst file which would test virtually every possible scenario of events, such as combo effects, their effects on enemies, items, enemies, screen flags, everything you can think of.

Seeing as 9th period just ended and I am being dragged away by my very ears from the computers, I will eagerly await your opinions as soon as I can get to a PC.

bigjoe
03-26-2004, 04:18 PM
I've had this idea for awhile, but I didn't know how it should be executed. Like, what EXACTLY should be tested in it.

Every flag?
Every combo type in correlation with every flag?
Every enemy in correlation with every flag that relates to enemies? What sort of organization would the quest have?

It's not a bad idea at all. In fact, its a very good idea and could turn into something. :) Remember demo.qst? That was Phantom Menace's way of doing the very same thing.

fatcatfan
03-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes, something like this should be developed. It's probably a bit much to expect to cover *every* possible situation, ZC has become too complex for that, but in particular you should try to add on to such a quest as new features are added or changed, to test them. That is to role of beta testers. To develop test scenarios. Generally, everyone has done it independantly, but if you guys want to collaborate on it, go ahead.

bigjoe
03-26-2004, 08:56 PM
With more people working on the same project, though, that situation with every possible situation doesn't sound as distant.

Solaris_Omega
03-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I will definitly join in on this project for sure... I can start working on something if your guys want. The first thing we must do is choose soem basic things to try it with. How would we design this ya know? what is the most stable .zgp to use... things like that...

ShadowTiger
03-27-2004, 09:07 PM
It's probably a bit much to expect to cover *every* possible situation, ZC has become too complex for that, Many people have been waiting years for someone to say that. ;)

I've constructed a -very- basic test quest. It's so basic, its boundaries consist of pegs. But they work. Maybe we can start throwing ideas together, and someone in the thread will collect them and try to organize them in a cohesive manner? When that's done, we can build a layout.

Orion
03-27-2004, 09:31 PM
I think something that could be done is just a long chain of rooms that test the SFX (layers and animated combos and whatnot on all of them) that utilize every kind of warp to get from one room to the next, rooms that consists of all kinds of enemies and bosses, and then rooms where items are tested on combos and flags. Just a few ideas. Also, a rooms where you can die and rooms where you can test strings and such.

ShadowTiger
03-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Good point, Orion. Good point everyone. I had an idea. (Solaris_Omega and I, actually.) We should construct a table. On the left AND top, it'll have things like "Flag, Screen Flags, Enemies, Raft, Ladder, hookshot, the rest of the combos", etc. So basically, you go from the left, with the first horizontal row being "flags," and the first vertical column is ALSO flags. .. the question is, should we cross them out. Self-interaction is interesting. Perhaps we'll put it with the example of that bug where the sword triggers the secret sound multiple times in Tiered Secrets. That may work. So when you test that, you go into the next vertical category, Screen Flags. So you put all the screen flags to test against flags.. however that would work. We'll have time to figure it out.

AtmaWeapon
06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Not meaning to gravedig but what is the status of this quest? Is anyone working on it or is it still in "good idea" phase? I haven't been around much due to lack of time, but a quest such as this would greatly help those of us (like me) who are motivated to help but not familiar with how some of the more complex parts of ZC work. So far I've gotten much accomplished by opening the demo quest and clicking on EVERY menu option on every screen, but a single quest with lots of goodies in it would be very nice.

DarkFlameWolf
06-14-2004, 10:20 PM
um........here's a better idea: pick out a pool of 4-5 quests that can be tested through and through with ZC by all testers. Between all 5 quests, I'm sure you'll encounter all possible situations.
Here are my two suggestions:
Hidden Duality: Director's Cut
Dreams of Yesterday.