PDA

View Full Version : Instant French Translator

Monica
03-18-2004, 06:37 PM
As I post, I'm trying to have a conversation on MSN with a french person, using Google and Babelfish, but it only translates single words and not sentence structure...is there any complete sentence translations out there?

Paradox
03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
both google and altavista translate entire sentences (even paragraphs), I don't know why you think it can do just one word at a time.'

obviously you'll get some errors, but you can understand it pretty well.

Eckels
03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
they translate words in sentences, sure... but not the sentence structure, which is what she was asking for.

Different languages order their vowels and nowns different than us, paradox.

Monica
03-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah I know that, I've been doing the sentences, it just seems to concentrate on each word individually instead of proper sentence structure which mixes up meanings of most things he tries to say.

Edit: Eckles beat me lol

Paradox
03-18-2004, 09:16 PM
to be honest, it does sentence STRUCTURE well too. I'm taking French, and I just popped this in AltaVista's and it came out in the correct format:

could you ask me an interesting question?
pourriez-vous me poser une question intéressante?

AtmaWeapon
03-18-2004, 09:47 PM
omelette du frommage

All you need to know. :)

Eckels
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Why is the sky blue?
Pourquoi le ciel est-il bleu ?
Why the sky is blue?

What is the average flight speed of an unladen swallow?
Quelle est la vitesse moyenne de vol de l'unladen l'hirondelle ?
Which is the swallow the mean velocity of flight of the unladen?

What's your name?
Quel est votre nom ?
Which is your name?

Unless the sentence structure translation is VERY simple, It seems to have some trouble with it.

King Link
03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah. For some French projects I have tried to use translators, but often the translators come up with words and sentences which my teacher just stares at, and insantly knows I've used one. It's best to learn the language, although, if you're just chatting, translators will probably be enough.

plith
03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
It has problems getting the syntax right when it translates back, but the French versions seem more or less fine as you have them.