PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Guy Fire Question

Espo
03-14-2004, 11:56 AM
What are the conditions under which a "guy" will shoot fire at you if you hit him. I believe it has to do with whether the dmap is dungeon or cave but neither of these seems to affect anything. And yes the "no guy fires" rule is unchecked. Thanks.

Cucciolopeloso
03-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Try to hit him with the sword...
in the original game it worked...

CJC
03-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Level Number maybe? Well, if the level is 0 then there will be no guy, but usually with guy fires on just hitting them makes them shoot at you. I'd suggest skimming through the quest rules again, as I don't recall whether or not there was a rule that made them stop shooting fire.

EDIT: Is the guy that you're using the fire guy? You can't hit them, so change it to a different guy and make them look like fire.

lord_jamitossi
03-19-2004, 06:31 PM
isn't the Guy Fires rule to take away the 2 flames on either side of him?

*b*
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
right, the No Guy Fire rule takes them away, and it's off by default

Espo, it takes a while for the fire to start shooting link. hit him with a boomerang or a sword beam from a distance, and wait and see what happens. I think the string also has to be visible for it to work

Espo
03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
the sword beam or boomarang go right through the guy. it is not the fire guy. it used to work on the quest I'm working on and now it doesn't. does it have to do with the dmap type... the ones where this is supposed to happen in are all cave type dmaps. I don't know why it isn't working (ugh!!!)

Solaris_Omega
03-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Remember, no questions are stupid

bigjoe
03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
it has to be in a dungeon dmap. I am fairly certain , at least.

Espo
03-27-2004, 10:43 AM
i set the dmap as a dungeon and that doesn't do it either. I think the first problem to solve is that none of my weapons even touches the guy. I set up a small test quest to see what works and in that quest the weapons touch the guy (hit the guy) but he still doesn't shoot any fire.

EDIT: I've found out some stuff. If I can get the weapons to hit the guy he will shoot fire if his flanking fires are present (i.e. the "No Guy Fires" rule is UNchecked). He won't do it if you select "No Guy Fires" even if the weapon hits him. So I'm trying to get it so that I can have the rule uncheck and have the fires "present" but somehow disable the sprites for the fires.

So I went into I think it was graphics-> sprites-> weapons/misc. and I found 2 sprites that I thought would be applicable. The first is the "Fire" sprite. This apparently controls the fire produced by the candle and has no affect on the guy's fires. The second is the "enemy flame" sprite. This didn't affect the guy's fires either and had no affect on the candle. I can't recall off hand what enemy uses fire (I think maybe some version of gleeok). The point: nothing I can do will take away the guy's fires short of disabling them as a rule (and this doesn't help me much). Also I still can't seem to hit the guy in the quest I'm actually trying to make (not the guy fire test quest). This shouldn't be this complicated. I'm probably not doing something obvious.

lord_jamitossi
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
just curious; i'm not really sure: do the revised tilesets have different guy fires tiles? i can't seem to remeber. if so, you could just find those tiles and make them fully transparent. however, this might also affect anything else that shoots flames. it's worth a try though...

pLeitorian
04-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Espo:

This is just a guess and I don't know if it will work, but:

(1) Set the squares where the guy will be to a "strike" flag.
(2) Set secret combos (#16-31) where the fires should be. One on each side should be the Statue type. The secret combos would look like the regular floor.
(3) Under enemy flags, check "statues shoot fire."

I'm not sure if it will work but it may be worth a try?

Don't know how to make him have fires and NOT shoot at you, though, short of a cave dmap, checking No Guy Fires, and using animated fire tiles.

Espo
04-06-2004, 08:57 AM
The secret combo thing may work... kinda like forcing something to work that I thought was basic zc functionality. anyway i'm not too interested in him having fires and not shooting. this could be done with simple animated combos.

Just to reiterate if there is any confusion. I want NO flanking fires but I want the guy to shoot when I hit him. I have combos that I want it to appear to be shootign the fire from. the above idea may work out for me. thanks