PDA

View Full Version : Largest Homework Assignment?

ShadowTiger
03-11-2004, 01:50 PM
What is the largest homework assignment you've ever received? How long were you staying up to finish it? I know some of them can get pretty nasty.

Oh, and in your opinion, did you get more homework in 10th, 11th, or 12th grade? .. Same for College.

Yoshiman
03-11-2004, 04:12 PM
A 9th grade History project we had to do was pretty big. We had to make a model of an English Castle. It was worth around half of our grade. I did it over a course of one week, so I didn't stay up until 12 trying to get it done.

When it was graded, I got a B on it. I was going to take it home, but some kid smashed two of my towers and half of my wall :bomb: . Now the thing that bugs me is that I used my parent's money to buy the spray paint, and my sister helped me make the little people I put on it. I wouldn't be nearly as ticked if I did it without any help, but geez... :odd:

deathbyhokie
03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
senior research paper.
/me waits for inori to start talking about dissertations and college thesises(thesis?)

inori
03-12-2004, 04:30 AM
What, you mean the master's report I never finished? :rolleyes:

theplustwo
03-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Probably in fourth grade actually. I had so much homework (from the teacher from hell) that I actually broke a few backpacks that year.

aces2022
03-12-2004, 05:50 PM
I was mouthing off so i had to do a 20 page report. :(

SixTen
03-12-2004, 06:01 PM
It would definiteley be the senior research paper. 7 - 10 pages, any topic that you have studied, except math and science. So basically History.

Did mine on British Imperialism in India and South Africa.
It sucked. You really learn how to add filler with these things.

Rainman
03-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I've done two 7+ page reports this year. One was for English class (on chivalry) and the other was for my senior project (on information storage). I've done several throughout my highschool career. If you want to count 2 pages and up, then I've done probably over a hundred 9 - 12. The worst year for homework would probably be this year (senior) and only because of the big reports I've done and I've actually done my math homework this year.

mikeron
03-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Junior year of college definately had the heaviest work load. My Mathematical Physics class would regularly have weekly assignments in the 30 hour range.

Archibaldo
03-12-2004, 11:50 PM
i had to write a story for english class wich was about 11 pages and i had to type it up on the computer. and im not the fastest typer in the world.

TedHead
03-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Grade 8 my art-obsessed teacher forced us all to find chairs and paint them in the style of an artist we chose to study. It took me pretty much the entire day. Worst part was she didn't even keep track of whose chair was whose and gave us all marks in a general area.

inori
03-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Well, if we're talking in terms of specific courses, my CS 270 course at Berkeley comes to mind. The title of the course was "Combinatorial Algorithms and Data Structures," and it's basically a graduate-level math course disguised as a graduate-level computer science course. We had homework assignments that would contain about four or five problems, and would still take hours, even though we worked on them in large groups of people. The most common way to solve any given problem was to find the particular research paper that solved the problem, and "borrow" the solution from that... or to find someone else who'd already done so, and borrow either the paper or the actual solution from them. There were even some problems that, when it came time for the professor to hand out solutions, he discovered he didn't know how to solve.

The only saving grace of that class was that the grading scale was nice and low; basically, if you got 50% or more on the final, you got an A of some form (keep in mind that this was a grad course, and it's rare for grades below B or B- to be given in grad courses except to truly incompetent students). I answered six questions on the ten-question final, got almost full credit on the ones I did answer, ended up around 55%, and escaped with my A-. Gotta love grad student course grading.

slothman
03-13-2004, 01:06 AM
I've done two 7+ page reports this year. One was for English class (on chivalry) ...
That actually sounds interesting. You don't happen to have it on e form do ya. I wouldn't mind reading it.
My largest was probably in 6th grade. I had to do a report on a Erupoe (sic) country. I got Austria and learned stuff about The Hapsburgs. I even wrote to an ambasador and got a "polyglot" written in German that I can't understand.

Cloral
03-14-2004, 05:43 AM
2 words - virtual memory

Although in high school we were suppossed to write a 30 page paper about ourselves - but I never did it. :D