PDA

View Full Version : Accutane

Raichu86
03-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Yesterday I had a dermatologist visit, since I have a number of skin problems. My dermatologist determined that my acne situation, which we've been working on in the past few months, is not getting better. She recommend that we let her prescribe Accutane to me, because it would solve the acne problem (for a while, at least), and probably help with my psoriasis.

Accutane has an amazing array of scary side effects (http://www.naturalessentials.com/accutane.htm). It causes birth defects (not that I have to worry about that :p), dry skin, lips, and nose, itching, joint pains, and a number of less common (and dangerous) side effects. The less common ones include depression, thinning hair, decreased vision, and decreased hearing.

As much as I'd like to be helped by this medicine, the side effect list scares me. My dermatologist says she has never had any of the serious side effects happen to any of her patients, but I'm not a risk taker.

So, I thought I'd ask... Has anybody here used Accutane before? What were your experiences with its effectiveness and side effects?

fatcatfan
03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Yes, I went through Accutane treatment. A good friend of mine did as well. Neither of us suffered any discernable side effects, except that I'm a bit more prone to get sunburned now. As for its effectiveness... it's like magic. The only problem I had was that I had to give blood each month so they could check for adverse effects. I got used to it, but I don't much like giving blood.

linkofzelda1
03-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Two of my brothers and my sister both went through it. They are all fine... EXCEPT (yeah, there's always and except ;)) my brother, after being on it for several months, developed skin cancer. He is fine now, and had it removed. But we are not sure if it was the accutane or if it was heredetary (sp?), since my dad also had it. :shrug: I don't want to scare you from it, since it REALLY REALLY TRULY works, but I think you need to be extra careful in the sun if you do take it.

Rijuhn
03-10-2004, 04:22 PM
My Lord! With those sort of side effects I'd rather have acne! You could die dude!

Raichu86
03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
The blood tests are another reason I don't want to do this. I hate needles. :shrug:

I'll also need to tell the doctor about the person in my family who may have a mental illness, and about my depression (I'm positive I have Social Anxiety Disorder).

I'm glad to hear some success stories. I may go with it, since my parents are willing.