PDA

View Full Version : New Tester Recommendation Thread

Ganonator
03-05-2004, 06:52 AM
After thoughtful consideration with members of the current ZC Beta Testing Squad, there has been discussion regarding current testers and recruiting new testers.

There are members of this team that have not posted or visited these forums in a long time, and they are currently on probation. There are also non-testing community members that have reached their prime and should be brought to our attention, with the possibility of being instated as a tester.

The qualifications:
1) Testers should be able to dedicate time to the project, and be able to submit competent beta reports, and be interested in joining this elite team.

2) Testers should have at least nine months' experience with Zelda Classic, and have substantial knowledge of its functions, capabilities, and limitations.

3) Although politics should not interfere with selections, previous AGN bans and overall member latency will be considered in the selection process.

Things that would be nice:
1) A tester should be able to communicate with the Developers and Beta Manager without interference from personal relations, past records, or incompetence.

2) Be a respected member with at least a year and a half at AGN, and 16 years of age. Although I don't specifically care about age, older members who have better knowledge of computing and communication will increase efficiency.

3) A member that understands standard guidelines and practices, as well as message board etiquette.

Nominations
If you feel someone fits the above listed qualifications, and have an overall interest in the project, please feel free to suggest their name for further review by all of the testers currently on staff. You can nominate a person twice, therefore giving them a better chance of selection.

Selections will be decided and finalized by the beta manager upon approval by the developers and the beta team. Discussion of introduce members is encouraged.

How to Nominate
I will use myself as an example:

Tester Name: Ganonator
Nominated Because: His overall motivation, and previous enquiry of this position.
Strengths: Previous testing skill with quests, industry and programming knowledge, experience using advanced features, pushing ZCs limitations.
Weaknesses: Tile work, time constraints.

Although I don't necessarily encourage the use of complete sentences, please try to at least present your nominations as succinct as possible. (Dictionary: succinct (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=succinct))

The following list will be updated as more nominations are presented.

Big Joe: Octium, Petoe

Questionable: BritannianHero4

- Em Hotep, and good luck to all nominees!

bigjoe
03-05-2004, 07:09 AM
-----
Tester Name: Octium (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/member.php?u=8729)
Nominated Because: He has been composing .it music, in hopes of adding it to Zelda Classic, since even BEFORE Zelda Classic moved to AGN, as far back as 1998-ish. I can provide proof of his existence as far back as 2000. And if that's not enough, I may even go as far as to get someone to speak on his behalf.
Note: His account may appear to be new, but remember, there were member prunings back when.
Strengths: He possesses an unrivaled knowledge of how to compose tracker music, and would thus make a great person to help test how it plays.
Weaknesses: He has been out of the loop for many years, so will therefore need some time getting used to Zelda Classic. In fact, back when he started working on mod music for ZC, the quest designer wasn't even out, and Phantom Menace still had adding mods on his to-do list. So ZQuest will be entirely new for him.
User References: 1 (http://www.jcraner.com/zc/whatsnext.html) (See bottom of page)
Examples of Work: 1 (http://www.theplustwo.com/bigjoe/misc/Labyrinth4_Octium.it) 2 (http://www.theplustwo.com/bigjoe/misc/Labyrinth2_Octium.it) (Check the 'Modified' dates on these, they go back to 2000.)
Note: These were made in the NES Synth.

-----
Tester Name: Petoe (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/member.php?u=4618)
Nominated Because: Well you know... obviously. He is a very good quest designer, uses ZC's features to the MAX.
Strengths: He possesses quest design skill that few can rival, and can likely find many bugs while using the many features that he employs.
Weaknesses: He can be a meanie sometimes. :glare:
Examples of Work: MegaMan: Dr. Wily's Revenge (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=67)
-----

fatcatfan
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Can I just say this? "No BH4." I'm sorry but good or not, I just get the impression that he is far too immature. Not to mention that he demonstrated that he is deceitful and therefore untrustworthy. But that's just my opinion.

bigjoe
03-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I was looking through my AIM logs, and I saw nothing to indicate that I gave him the impression that he was ALREADY on the team. The closest I got to that was:

BigJoe<!-- (4:06:37 PM)-->:do you wish to beta test ZC?

However, it was a vague conversation. I also said nothing to indicate that I couldn't hire people. So I can't place the blame entirely on him.

My recommendations for Octium, Petoe, and Freedom still stand. But I'm not sure about BH4. I will with-hold my recommendation for him, for now. But if he's really fit for the job, I'm sure people can (and will) speak in his defense.

Raichu86
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I seriously doubt he'd leak an alpha. He seems to have good morals. From my experiences with him moderating PureZC, he seems to be trustworthy and interested in insuring that he does the right thing. He has contacted me a couple of times before to ask if a questionable moderational act was acceptable. Why wouldn't he do the same with questionable actions regarding ZC alpha/beta?

Jigglysaint
03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't mean to sould oppressive, but you are quite right about Freedom being argumentitive. If you would recall, Fatcatfan, the fiasco in RD that lead to a spillover in GB(which I got banned from even though it was supposed to be okay to fight with people in there), and a whole mess that left me so raw that I blocked Freedom.

Now I don't want to stand in the way of people getting a tester status, but when selecting a tester, don't forget to see if the person will have an impact on the team at all. Sometimes people can be quite mature, at least untill paired up with certain other people.

You know, maybe it would inspire more testers to get their butts going if you profiled their stengths and weaknesses and stuff. I bet a few of us would even be surprised at the results.

Blonde799
03-06-2004, 04:44 PM
You know, maybe it would inspire more testers to get their butts going if you profiled their stengths and weaknesses and stuff. I bet a few of us would even be surprised at the results.
I think that's a good idea. I mean, I personally wouldn't like to see an analysis of myself(because I know I have enemies, they're out there... :scared: ) from my peers, but I'd think it'd make an interesting uh, what's the word? Um, well analysis I guess.:shrug:

bigjoe
03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Whatever, Darth Cronic needs to get on the ball. He's been missing forever =P I hope he shows up sooner or later, or else we might need to appoint a new Beta Manager. Sorry, DC :(

By the way, recommendation for Freedom removed. He is indeed a flame starter.

DarkFlameWolf
03-07-2004, 11:30 AM
My Strengths: I can test old quests for existing bugs and see if all quests made previously are playable while many people tend to focus on new features. I'm quite thourough in dealing with quests and seeing if bugs will occur in existing ones.

My Weakness: Not a lot of time due to 30 hours of work + 40~ hours of college + significant other. But I'm damn willing to try!

Jigglysaint
03-08-2004, 02:12 AM
I think DC totally left the community after the incident at ZCN a while back. It would be nice to see him back, he was pretty good at his job.

Well I got an idea for a beta team manager already, and that's no Joek, er , joke, hehe.

Blonde799
03-08-2004, 08:26 AM
DC was here after the ZCN thing. After a little while though, he just up and disappeared. :confuse2: