PDA

View Full Version : Question about DVD-R/DVD-RW

Mr. 207
02-29-2004, 08:02 PM
I just got a new computer that comes with a DVDRW drive. I want to go out and get DVD's, but I'm confused as to what I should get. I see DVD-RW and DVD+RW, or DVD-R and DVD+R. What does the plus mean? What is the difference between them? (I know RW stands for re-writable, Im just wondering what the + means)

Melonhead
02-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Whats the difference? Compatibility. Combo drives are available that support all of them, but not so for your set top box.

Mr. 207
02-29-2004, 08:52 PM
So what your telling me is that, other then the fact that you need the correct drive to read one or the other, theres no difference between DVD-RW discs and DVD+RW discs?

inori
03-01-2004, 08:40 AM
They are two different formats, though most newer drives can handle both. (My computer, for example, can read and write any of the formats: +R, -R, +RW, -RW.) I'm not aware of any performance differences between the two.

goKi
03-01-2004, 08:57 AM
From what i have seen, +R and +RW seems to be the more preferred format in generic branded dvd players, recorders, and burners (correct me if i am wrong). I have also noticed that alot of DVD combo writers (DVD +/-R +/-RW) burn +R and +RW discs at a faster speed to the -R and -RW counterparts. In terms of technical differences, i dont think there is anything big to worry about. I believe that the two formats came from several competing compaines developing DVD discs.

aces2022
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
I only thought there was two formats of burning dvd's?