PDA

View Full Version : Keese Quest Rule

Cloral
02-29-2004, 02:35 PM
After playing some more, I've noticed that the bug I mentioned (keese appearing in solid areas) makes cramped rooms play more nicely as the keese start out spread out. So would it be possible to make this a quest rule instead of removing it entirely?

*b*
02-29-2004, 04:37 PM
or, how about this; when the enemy pattern is random, how about the 'No Fly Zone' combo disables spawning in them?

bigjoe
02-29-2004, 05:59 PM
As Cloral mentioned, it should be a rule. If they were made not to spawn on no fly zones, that wouldnt stop them from still being able to spawn over solid combos in the original quests. Look, its all fine that features get added to Zelda Classic. However, I am sworn to defend that it also remain a clone of The Legend of Zelda. What you mention, *b* , would ruin that.

In fact, in the near future, some steps will be taken to make it a better clone of the Legend of Zelda. For example, I plan to fix the pallete in the original quests.(Right now they use a crappy nesticle pallete) As well as maybe get better rips of the sounds. Additionally, I got in touch with Christian Mills, aka Octium, who is mentioned on the old (http://www.jcraner.com/zc/contact.html) Zelda Classic development page. He will provide perfect replicas of the NES soundtrack.

Phantom Menace's wishes that this remain a clone of The Legend of Zelda will be respected no matter what. To anyone who is arrogant enough to challenge that... I dare you. >=)

DarkFlameWolf
02-29-2004, 06:24 PM
*challenges!*
;)
Anyway, I really don't see the problem. As long as the combos are listed as no fly zones and you use the enemy combo flags to make SURE the keese spawn where you want them to, I really don't see the problem.

bigjoe
02-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Prepare to be shot down.

Have you no respect for someone's project? Do you think you can just commandeer this game with your suggestions and drive it off a cliff, like a stolen car? Beleive it or not, part of your job as a beta tester is to make sure that the gameplay stays true to the original in cases not involving rules. If it were in my position to judge, I would call this sort of thing mutiny! You seem to have no respect whatsoever. Why, if Phantom Menace himself were to see this thread and comment on it, you'd probably still stand by your disrespectful opinion. So I'm not going to try to help you out.

*b* is okay, he's a newer tester. But you have no excuse. You should know that by now.

Im not trying to start a fight here, but so long as Zelda Classic exists, I will make sure it fulfills its original intentions. Even if EVERY SINGLE beta tester is against me, it doesn't matter.

There used to be more who would back me up , but they've dissapeared. Remember Hypercrash? (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/member.php?u=67) Im sure you don't. He was a beta tester at one point, and he shared my ideals.

The reason I do this is for people like him, who dont want to see a clone of their all time favorite NES game ruined.

Now, if you'd please.

Tygore
02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm going to have to agree with BigJoe on this one. I remember when it was a basic rule of ZC that the first quest should require no quest rules/alterations to function properly. ZC should stay primarily a Zelda 1 clone, anything else is just icing on the cake (really good icing, but you get my point).

*b*
02-29-2004, 10:47 PM
BigJoe, it stopped being a perfect clone when you had to TYPE your name in. and just because there'd be a combo needed to stop spawning keese in solid blocks, dosen't mean that it still can't be a clone! though, I do see your point in making it a quest rule. if somone wanted one dungeon to be, like, a cave, keese could spawn in non-walkable areas, making it more realistic. but in another dungeon, it's like a corridor (sp?), where keese can't spawn in non walkable areas. the rule prevents the first dungeon from being the origional idea. my idea allows more freedom when designing dungeons...

but, if it MUST be a rule, make it a screen flag

bigjoe
02-29-2004, 11:05 PM
All functionality that doesnt make it a perfect clone is strictly related to ease of use.

The reason a combo wont work is because there are a lot of combos that keese shouldnt start on, CAN fly over.

The reason it shouldnt be a screen flag is because no one wants to go through a thousand screen flags and check them. If it were added to the rules, everyone before now who liked the keese that start on solid combos would only have to check a simple rule.

Unless you're thinking that the screen rule should change it so that it behaves properly. In which case, defenitely no. Im not about to go through every single screen in the first quest and check it.

Its quest rule, or bust. and it wont be bust if Im around >=|

Sorry if I've been being pushy lately, but I was given a handbasket from hell with a note on it that said "Now go whip those beta testers into shape!"

DarkFlameWolf
03-01-2004, 12:33 AM
um.....no offense, but since when did someone proclaim you God over ZC Beta developments and shit? My post was an entire joke and you took it way out of context. Jesus Christ Joe. You should know me better than that.

bigjoe
03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
um.....no offense, but since when did someone proclaim you God over ZC Beta developments and shit? My post was an entire joke and you took it way out of context. Jesus Christ Joe. You should know me better than that.Sorry, maybe I did go overboard there. But I thought you were being serious because you posted on behalf of *b*'s idea.

No one proclaimed me God but someone of importance gave me the impression that I dont have to sit around and do absolutely nothing as far as influencing the development of ZC. And I damn sure am not going to let someone's long hard work go down the drain. Many sleepness nights went into making this program, even before Dark Nation got the code.

Besides, I am supposed to be Darth Cronics assistant Moderator. I never officially resigned. It has something to do with my accounts being merged that caused me to lose moderation over these forums.

Neither have I resigned from my spot as the Default Tileset manager.

Now,I thought of a solution that will please everyone. Keese should not spawn over Push-> Wait combo. this should* maintain accuracy to the original quest AND satisfy those who like the better keese appearance style.

(I will need to make absolutely sure that it will, first, but once I have, its good to go)

Modus Ponens
03-12-2004, 02:35 AM
The original Zelda game has no such thing as a "no-fly zone." If keeses are programmed not to spawn only in no-fly zone combos, then there would be no impact whatsoever on the original-Zelda-clone-ness of ZC. In fact, one could look at it as merely an additional property of the no-fly zone combo itself (and, furthermore, it could be implemented thus), rather than some larger underlying change to the overall game. There would be absolutely no betrayal of PM's original vision whatsoever.

I can see that the last post in this thread was made a week ago, and perhaps this topic is considered dead, but I thought that what I had to say ought to be said.

Cloral
03-12-2004, 03:21 AM
No it wouldn't as keese can't spawn in solid blocks or water in LoZ. What you're describing is how ZC is now.

Modus Ponens
03-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Oh, duh. Good point. :P

Okay, forget all that.

But my heart was in the right place! :)

Dark Nation
03-12-2004, 08:47 AM
The newest alpha has this rule added. All older quests will have this rule turned on by default, to maintain compatibility. The 3 original quests will be re-released with this rule turned off.