PDA

View Full Version : Aaahhh! Oh My God!!

idontknow
02-27-2004, 09:53 PM
ok, i downloaded the latest private alpha & tested it out with the current quest i'm working on & i guess i must have saved it under that version and i didn't think at first that it was a big deal because i thought maybe when i saved it for the first time in a new version of zquest, it would create a new identical file but of course i was wrong so now when i try to load the same quest back into the beta 183 version, it says "invalid quest version". Must i continue to use the private alpha in order to continue working on this quest from now on, or is there a way to recover the quest in the older version?

bigjoe
02-28-2004, 03:13 AM
I had a similar problem , only I'd accidently loaded my quest with zquest187. So I just upgraded to alpha 2. It's no biggie I guess. I dont think DN will be dropping the format if he is going through so much to protect it.

Dark Nation
02-29-2004, 01:24 AM
BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE USING THIS! ALTHOUGH ALL THE QUEST CORRUPTING BUGS SHOULD BE GONE, YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL!

{snip}

Also note that due to problems in the past with people accidently saving over their quests with the betas, overwriting files has been disabled in this version. When you save, you will HAVE to use a new filename. You can delete the old file later on and rename the new file to the old name if you want.

may I ask why this was done?

{snip}

{snip}

4. Overwrite protection is now optional and off by default. This can be changed from the Etc->Options menu.

{snip}

ok, i downloaded the latest private alpha & tested it out with the current quest i'm working on & i guess i must have saved it under that version
{snip} so now when i try to load the same quest back into the beta 183 version, it says "invalid quest version". <snip>

And so, with a heavy heart, Dark Nation set about to make overwrite protection *on* by default.
Actually, I had intended to make it on by default in Alpha 2, but I accidently compiled with it set to off but was too lazy to recompile with the proper setting. As for the quest file, it should be okay, but no promises.

bigjoe
02-29-2004, 02:32 AM
Dont try to fade on me, boy =P I didnt do it on purpose. I had two copies of zquest in my folder. I had no idea I was even using 187 when it happened.So, not wanting to use 187, I upgraded to Alpha 2. But you know, this new beta is picking up. I dont think we'll have to dump any quests if we upgrade them. correct me if I'm wrong though.