PDA

View Full Version : Lent

phattonez
02-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Tomorrow starts Lent, and for me as a Catholic, I have to give something up. This year, one of the things I decided to give up was the computer unless I am using it for homework. So basically, I won't be here or playing SE for about 2 months. So I'd like to say farwell and I look forward to when I come back.

I'll be back on April 11, until then, keep enjoying SE and AGN.

SUCCESSOR
02-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Oh wow Lent already. I think I'll give up catholicism.

heh ehh I never even knew what lent was. but on the subject... what's the point?

Gerudo
02-25-2004, 01:30 AM
I think I'll give up catholicism.
LMAO!

phattonez, why not give up something like school, or like.... homework...?

Rijuhn
02-25-2004, 01:32 AM
It's all stupid tradition of man. I don't want religion I want relationship. And though it may be for the better the Lord never asked for us to make yearly commitments on things, but to always commit ourselves to Him.

moocow
02-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Please don't use the word "stupid" when you're talking about someone's religion, it's rude. :p

deathbyhokie
02-25-2004, 09:10 AM
It's all stupid tradition of man. I don't want religion I want relationship. And though it may be for the better the Lord never asked for us to make yearly commitments on things, but to always commit ourselves to Him.

just because you want the relationship doesn't mean lent's a stupid tradition. lent is designed to make a person closer to God, by remobing a distraction from their life.

and good luck to you phattonez

Ich
02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm not Catholic, but I'm going to give up... NoDoz. It's really not that healthy for me. I think I'll stop using it for good until at least college.

EDIT: Found an interesting story on Mardi Gras. It's funny. Laugh.
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/mardigras.html

Melonhead
02-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm not Catholic, but I'm going to give up... NoDoz. It's really not that healthy for me. I think I'll stop using it for good until at least college.

Good idea. That's when you start to double down(damn term papers.)

Starkist
02-25-2004, 03:41 PM
The whole point, to those who do not understand, is to give something up for forty days that you really enjoy. It is a sacrifice, of sorts. In place of whatever you give up, you pray and study the Bible to get closer to God.

Lent is the period of time consisting of the forty days prior to Easter. Traditionally, meat is what was given up. The first day of Lent is called Ash Wednesday, and it continues through Good Friday. The day before Lent is called Fat Tuesday, which is the last day you can traditionally eat meat. In some old societies, people would get together to have feasts and revelries, called carnevals. "Carne" is Latin for meat. These revelries evolved into the all out parties they are today, especially in New Orleans. Fat Tuesday translates as "Mardi Gras" in French.

Unfortunately, the people who party on Mardi Gras usually have no intention of improving their relationships with God over the next forty days, rather, it is just an excuse to party. :(

Rijuhn
02-26-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my comment. I didn't mean to sound so angry and/or hateful and disrespective. If I may explain, yesterday I heard a lot of people, whom I never knew were Christian, talk about Lent and all this stuff. It makes me angry because they are only Christian during the holidays and I wanted to say something but I held my tongue.

gdorf
02-26-2004, 01:05 AM
That makes sense. Some people get caught up in lent for different reasons than my own. It almost seems to be the current "thing" at school. But thats chill with me, it doesn't do any harm.

Me? I'm giving up fast food.