PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I live in America

AtmaWeapon
02-23-2004, 08:33 AM
More and more, I hear people on the internet complaining that Europe is losing its freedom. I've blown it off, but then I see articles like this (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14308).

For example, recording industry executives will be able to raid and ransack the homes of P2P file-sharers and freeze an alleged infringer's bank account without any hearing under the directive's Anton Pillar Orders and Mareva Injunctions.

Also not this is even for accidental and non-commercial violations.

I generally chuckle at the comparison between the recording industry and Nazis, but this is a little too close...

bigjoe
02-23-2004, 09:00 AM
I dont know, I'd hate to go into one of my "Mr. Conspiracy" rants here, but laws are tightening in America as well. :shrug: thats why I dont download music.

gdorf
02-23-2004, 10:00 AM
I think this is just an article written to blow things far out of proportion. Sure, they may have the power to raid homes and freeze bank accounts for minor infringements, but until the reports start coming in that they are actually using the power, I wouldn't think much of it.

AlexMax
02-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Three words. Don't get caught.

And I've found greater satisfaction in buying CD's anyway. Just got a Dan the Automator CD (Wanna Buy a Monkey?) two days ago that's been going through CD player over and over. And of course, there's always internet radio.

Michael Moore
02-23-2004, 11:40 AM
That sounds pathetic, At least creat a system where you can pick what songs you want on a CD, like say 1.50 a song, this way you can get all your favorite songs and the artist still makes money, I hate having to buy six different cd's just to get 20 songs I like.

Melonhead
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
That sounds pathetic, At least creat a system where you can pick what songs you want on a CD, like say 1.50 a song, this way you can get all your favorite songs and the artist still makes money, I hate having to buy six different cd's just to get 20 songs I like.

Which is the entire point of paying to download from, say, iTunes. Or just buy some Pepsi and get some free songs. I love it when people complain about the lack of a system that already exists. :rolleyes:

EWild
02-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Or buy good music. :rolleyes:

Starkist
02-23-2004, 04:55 PM
I think this is just an article written to blow things far out of proportion. Sure, they may have the power to raid homes and freeze bank accounts for minor infringements, but until the reports start coming in that they are actually using the power, I wouldn't think much of it.
Critics of the Patriot Act here in America would disagree with you, they say that the extra power given the state is a violation of civil rights already.

Seriously, the issue comes down to whether our rights are innate, granted to us by our Creator; or if they are instead granted by the government. What the state giveth, the state taketh away.

Ich
02-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Certain unailienable rights, endowed by their creator...

'Nuff said.

slothman
02-23-2004, 05:28 PM
The wierd thing is that in Canada vecause of a small tax payed to the recording industry anyone can download any music legally. You can't upload it but you can download it.
And isn't that just an idea about what might happen in Europe? I don't think it passed yet. It's like a bill in Congress that a lobbeyist gave to a Congresscritter that wasn't approved.

AtmaWeapon
02-23-2004, 08:12 PM
If you subscribe to the theories of Locke like the Founding Fathers did, then you would believe that rights are innate. However, without a government people live in what's called a "State of Nature". This is not fun for most people, because whoever is strongest and most willing to deprive others gets what they want. We grant a government the right to limit our freedom in return for the protection of rights that we deem important. So it's give and take. You get to keep some rights, but you have to give up other rights in return for the protection of your life.

However, I'm not very happy with the advent of laws like this one. Combined with the software patents in Europe, I'm beginning to wonder how long freedom will last overseas. I'm aware that our freedoms are creeping away in the US as well, but I look at it from this viewpoint: In Europe, rights are being restricted because the security of large software vendors and music agents are being threatened. In the US, many deaths were a direct result of convenient freedoms, such as the freedom to get on a plane without pesky baggage checks. I don't agree with many of the conditions of the Patriot Act, but I also trust our system. The first time the government uses this act for a warrantless search, they better find terrorists. If they do, people will frown on the breach of freedoms but be glad for the apprehension of dangerous people. If they don't, they lose public opinion and face severe penalties in the form of the Supreme Court and voters. This will have a rather negative effect, I fear, as the government will have to loosen security to appease the public. Loosened security makes it easier for terrorists.

Life is too complicated sometimes.

Melonhead
02-23-2004, 08:27 PM
The wierd thing is that in Canada vecause of a small tax payed to the recording industry anyone can download any music legally. You can't upload it but you can download it.
And isn't that just an idea about what might happen in Europe? I don't think it passed yet. It's like a bill in Congress that a lobbeyist gave to a Congresscritter that wasn't approved.

Every time someone tells me about Canada I feel more inclined to go there. They probably wouldn't want me, though. :p

slothman
02-23-2004, 10:22 PM
They want you. A Canadian friend of mine told me many years ago that anyone could apply for citizenship for only the low low price of 500$. And you could borrow that as well. In contrast to Switzerland which virtually never grants citizenship. As for me the temperature wouldn't be much colder than where I am now and my money would go farther. :D

Ian
02-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Here, it is technically legal to download the music for personal use, so we can burn it off and listen to it ourselves all we like, BUT we're not allowed to let anyone else use the CD. You cannot share it at all. The thing is, every time we buy a blank CD we pay a tiny extra fee (probably a few cents) so that we can use it to download. XP

Of course we want you, MH........:sb:

inori
02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
I'll just keep hiding in Japan for a while. Makes life a lot easier. :kawaii: