PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cool™

Kryten
02-18-2004, 02:09 AM
A long while back ( >1 year), someone told me to look into these things called "ferrofluids."
I looked around some, thought they looked pretty cool, and eventually found a couple videos for download.
However, they were in QuickTime MOV format, and - at the time - I really wasn't interested in installing Apple's crappy windows player just to have a look, so they dropped back into a lesser-used section of my hard drive.
About a week ago, I rediscovered these old vids and, using K-Lite's wonderful QuickTime Alternative (http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/), I was amazed to discover just what ferrofluids can do.

In the simplest terms, a ferrofluid is like a magnetic liquid. By dissolving certain magnetic metals in certain liquids, you can produce a oily substance that inherits some of the properties of a metal! The most coolerest of these is magnetic attraction.
By placing a magnet next to this pool of liquid, it begins to "spike" out in the directions of the magnet's fields. The result looks like a liquid sea urchin!

Descriptions and tiny GIF animations don't do ferrofluids justice, so I've put the 3 videos I found "way back when" on my server.
You can find them here (http://ff3pc.no-ip.com:81/ff/).

EDIT:
Looking around, I've found a few more videos that have popped up since that last time I searched for them. Links have been added to the above page.

EDITEDIT:
Ah, I knew I had downloaded a 4th video. Added that to the page as well.

phattonez
02-18-2004, 02:22 AM
I know how to make magnetic liquid. I had to do this for a project. You use a magnetic funnel or a magnetic wand thing and you can have magnetized water. But my experiment was on plants, it looks like I have a new use for that ten dollar "wand."

slothman
02-18-2004, 02:25 AM
They sound interesting. Do you have any cool sites about them? Can I make them at home or do I need exotic materials?

Kryten
02-18-2004, 02:47 AM
I know how to make magnetic liquid. I had to do this for a project. You use a magnetic funnel or a magnetic wand thing and you can have magnetized water. But my experiment was on plants, it looks like I have a new use for that ten dollar "wand."

Not sure what you're getting at there, water can't just be made magnetized. You'd have to add something to it.

The base for ferrofluids is usually an oil, though you can make them at home (as slothman asked) using Karo syrup. Just do a search for "ferrofluids".

blew_flame
02-18-2004, 03:23 AM
thats so cool . im gonna try it
woop!

more pointless stuff to do!

Gerudo
02-18-2004, 04:21 AM
thats really neat stuff, when the magnet goes near it, it looks like gel, but then, almost instantaneously, goes back into liquid form...

kickass

phattonez
02-18-2004, 10:44 AM
In this description, does it not say that it makes magnetic water?

http://www.magnetictherapy.co.uk/products.asp?subcatid=57

Melonhead
02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
That could make for a sweet PC Mod(if it didn't erase your harddrive).

Kryten
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
In this description, does it not say that it makes magnetic water?
Yes, I trust "facts" from "as seen on TV" websites...

Performing a search on "magnetic water," I find dozens of results selling magic therapy products and the like.
From the handful of actually "scientific" results, it appears that all these products do is magnetize any impurities in the water and can, if used properly, pull them out. The result, therefore, is just purer water.
The water itself cannot be magnetized, only certain minerals (if present), as I suggested in my previous post.
If you can find a way to make that water form three dimensional shapes or defy gravity, I will be duly impressed.

That could make for a sweet PC Mod(if it didn't erase your harddrive).
The liquid itself isn't going to do any erasing on your hard drive, it can only be attracted to magnets. In fact, the bearings in many hard drives are lubricated with ferrofluids.