PDA

View Full Version : The SSX3 appriciation thread

AlexMax
02-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I used to be a fan of 1080 snowboarding. But it seems like snowboarding games haven't really done it for me for a long time. I didn't like Cool Boarders, I didn't like SSX or SSX: Tricky, and the other snowboarding entries into the arena just seemed plain pitiful. I sorta liked Ampted, but I got kind of bored with it after the insane challenge got to me.

Well....no snowboarding game until now. SSX3 is quite possibly the most fun 'extreme sports' game since Tony Hawks Underground.

First of all, I don't know how they fixed the controls over SSX: Tricky (I played the Gamecube version), but now I feel like I have complete freedom over the baorder. Tricks are relatively easy to execute, the board press (manual) is a godsend, but most importantly SSX3 has the most insane moutains I have ever been on. The slopes are steep, the jumps are huge, and thats only on Peak 1. By the time you reach Peak 3, the slopes border on absurdity, and going down them almost always results in a wicked grin.

The way SSX3 is arranged is awesome too. There are three peaks. You start at the mid point of Peak 1 and actually snowboard to the event you want to do (or you can use your handheld MCom to get a ride from any pointon the slopes. You Complete the various races and point challenges of the lower slopes, and then you earn the ability to go to the summet of the peak and race the guy on the summet of that peak. Once you beat him ,you then are challenged to go all the way from where the summet of your current peak is to the very bottom of the entire montain (Metro City), within a certain time limit, which means that it takes you a good long time to et to the bottom from peak 1, about twice as long from peak 2, and three times as long (!) from peak 3. Do that, and you earn the right to go to the next peak.

You can upgrade your boarder through money, like in THPS2, but unlike that game, you get money not only for completing challenges, but you get small amounts of cash just for completing decent tricks, so you dont have to worry about wasting money, because you can always earn it back just by dicking around. The soundtrack to this game is a nice mix of techno, punk, rock and R&B, and you can arrange a custom playlist if you want to (I usually play with the Techno and R&B, but no punk or rock). Unfortuniatly, no Xbox custom soundtrack.

So yeah, this game is huge. Very huge. I'm on Peak 3, and I'm trying to beat the Peak 2 point challenges so I can unlock point challenge from the summit. This game is accessable and much better than the other two SSX's, so if you see it, G it. It's avalable on all three consoles, and unlike SSX: Trickty, none of the ports are shoddy and the framerate is almost flawless on all systems (I've noticed one slowdown near the begining of Metro City, but it's not that bad), and if you have the PS2 version, you can race on on one against people over the internet using the Sony PS2 Online Adapter.

So yeah...anyone else have this game? Intrigued? Something?

SiliconHero
02-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Hoo-hoo! Yes! I'm almost surprised that there's someone else out there with the same gaming tastes as mine (SSX3, Amplitude, etc.) I agree with you >=100%. SSX3...ROCKS. I'd probably be able to throw around some more positive adjectives if I could play it online, but I'm very satisfied with what I've got now. I'm this close to maxing out Allegra's stats, and finishing the Peak 3 Freestyle goal. But even after I finish that, I've still a lot to do. *cough*