PDA

View Full Version : Installing Drivers are a nightmare!

mike5000
02-16-2004, 02:44 AM
almost had a heart attack tonight! to put it short, I dont think Nvidia, ATI, and Windows XP mix! 1 hour ago I was happy with my new 9800Pro drivers (6.14) then all the sudden my sound drives choose to take a dump. So I get some new sound drivers from nivida, (my sound card is an intigraded nforce, with the weak Geforce2) so I uninstall Nvidia Drivers make sure I have the new driver install file ready on my desktop for the big race! becouse once I hit restart computer the race against Windows XP begins!! Once the comp start I find out that everyting in huge! DOH nividia messed my graphics drivers up or mixed geforce with radeons drivers or somthing, but Windows XP to the rescue decides to take my drivers into its own hands and AUTOMATICALLY install whatever the hell it wants! (when it detects new hardware! it goes farther than just detecting it) then it auto restarts on me before i can even do anything. once windows loads again, its doing its stupid auto detect on my 9800 all over AGAIN! so the race was on, i managed to RUSH and install the Nforce drivers, the ping auto restart, thanks windows.. then onto uninstalling currupted existing ati drivers, restart byitself of course. then reinstall ati drivers before it restarts on me. and I got it. everything is back to normal ecept for one thing.. my driver says its 6.14, but its NOT, the control panel is showing the older controlls and the new stuff with 6.14 isnt here! I have tried reinstalling 2 times now to no avail! I cant get the 6.14 drivers to fully install the new ati controll panel like it was before all this!

Also when I goto remove the drivers I notice somthing that is wrong it askes me which card to uninstall: either RADEON 9800 PRO SECONDARY (PCI) ~WTF IS THIS <---- or the the one I know and use RADEON 9800 PRO PRIMARY (AGP)

My guess is that when windows auto detects (with no drivers installed, it attemps to Ghetto install it) I think these 2 things are confilicting eachother!

So now im asking, Is it necessary to restart the computor after unistalling drivers before you install new ones? and how do I stop windows from trying to be the hero of the day? lol sorry for typing soo much, its 1:40am and im tired and mad, wont sleep tonight I guess!

UPDATE: Perhaps god does like me! when I got these 6.14 drives yesterday I did terrible on 3dmark03 (like 2039 marks) but now I have my old drivers back i just got 5078 marks! (3dmark still says I have 6.14 when it posts my specs. mabey I found an exploit :evil: ) my advise is dont get the 6.14 drivers, they are terrible!

I would still like your thoughts on windows XP and its 'freaking out' it was doing.

inori
02-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Hey, it could be worse... I just bought a printer, and it apparently doesn't yet/won't ever have an English-language driver (I searched the manufacturer's home page... more than once). Somehow, I managed to get the Japanese driver installed. :kawaii:

goKi
02-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Try using system restore back to a day or two ago if you have it activated. That should fix things for the meantime, while you can go back and reinstall all of your drivers/update.

Gerudo
02-16-2004, 06:30 AM
dunno what your installation of XP is doing, but whenever i install new hardware, it never does that to me, normally it goes 'windows is trying to find the crap for your hardware'... its never once restarted on me without me telling it to... so maybe you clicked something and didnt realize it...

ive read your post 5 times now, and it doesnt make any sense... can anyone summarize it? o.O sorry...

vegeta1215
02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
I had problems like that with drivers on Windows before. My devices would work but there would be newer drivers online taunting me, "Ooh look at me, I'm a brand new driver, download me now!" I would download them of course, but sometimes the new drivers would just not work at all.

Lesson learned: don't fix what ain't broke. :D