PDA

View Full Version : Stunning - Hookshot or F-Brang?

ShadowTiger
02-15-2004, 02:07 PM
If you had BOTH the hookshot, and the Fire Boomerang, which would you prefer to use to stun something? (for the poll's sake, let's assume a Death Knight.)

I'm not going to say anything else, so not to influence the poll. ;)

DarkFlameWolf
02-15-2004, 05:33 PM
I didn't think a Death Knight or any darknut for that matter could be stunned by a Hookshot. Probably the Fire Boomerang, so I'll go with that.

Exdeath
02-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Yea, darknuts can be stunned with the hookshot, but it's difficult.
The fire boomerang works better, expecially when it's returning to you.

Rambly
02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
The boomerang. Why? Cause it's a bit more flexible. I just like it more. ^_^

I use the hookshot sometimes though when I'm too lazy to switch to the boomerang and stuff.

Nick
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Hookshot. It only needs to hit the darknut on one side to stun, where as the fire boomerang usually has to make contact on both "sides" of the darknut. :shrug:

However... if it were something besides a darknut, the fire boomerang.

Rydia
02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
I use a fire boomerang to stun them. It seems to work a little easier for me.

Master Ghaleon
02-16-2004, 01:43 AM
I use the fire boomerang ;)

ShadowTiger
02-16-2004, 08:58 AM
My qualms with the Fire Boomerang, is the physics behind it. Notice how it leaves them flashing, without really doing much accountable damage to the Darknut. And if thrown, unless you're really good with the Boomerang, since you'll definitely be moving around A LOT while 'working' with the D.Knight in question, it'll be hard to maneuver in place.

The following is a diagram of the vulnerable positions of any shielded Darknut. Pretend the whole 4x4 grid is a Blue Darknut facing / walking east.

XXXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX

The blue parts are the parts vulnerable to either the hookshot or fire boomerang. The reason the fire boomerang is good for initial thoughts of vulnerabilities is that it WILL try to hit the darknut from behind as it returns to you. Yes, that is a plus. But then you have to walk around it to its other side to stun it again, to put it into a more advantageous position to stun it again so you can commence with the slash-slash-stun-slash-slash-stun maneuver.

With the hookshot though, the flashing isn't as bad. The hookshot has the same pattern of attacking the darknuts vulnerable spots, so it works the same as the FBrang. In addition, while the hookshot is extended, you're invincible. If you can time it right, you can bypass an entire darknut attack merely by aiming your hookshot at a far away location and firing away. Just beware the inevitable "Darknut is Right NEAR you when it returns" situation. It's possible. But it's inevitable with both the Hookshot and F-Brang, really. :shrug: So perhaps it's merely a matter of taste.

Mr. Z
02-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Boomerang!
I don't like to use the hookshot for stunning enemies.

Ian
02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm fairly good with Boomerangs nowadays, so I'll have to go with the Fire Boomerang.

Jigglysaint
02-17-2004, 02:40 AM
Fire boomerang because of the inferno I can toss that bathes the entire screen in flames causing rapid hp loss to most enemies.