PDA

View Full Version : AIM has Spyware?!

Monica
02-14-2004, 10:39 PM
I keep hearing that AIM 5.5 has spyware, and that must be why they won't let you turn off that popup... Does anyone know how to get rid of the spyware? And is there a generic AIM client that supports Voice? If not, I might end up using Yahoo, because I hate MSN... :(

*b*
02-14-2004, 11:53 PM
AIm has no spyware. all you have to do, is open your prefrences, go to Sign On/Off, and disable the Show AIM.com window at sign on... assuming that's what you're talking about

Tygore
02-15-2004, 12:06 AM
If you want a third-party chat client, Trillian is the way to go. (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com). I'm pretty sure it supports voice chat, though I have yet to try it. I'm currently using it to run AIM, MSN, and Yahoo all at once.

Monica
02-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Oh I looked all over for that option, but never saw it before now. But even so, I've still heard that the AIM games are connected to spyware.

Cloral
02-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Well you have to pay for the games after playing them a few times. That's all I know.

Gerudo
02-15-2004, 06:35 AM
to my knowledge, AIM has absolutely no spyware...

it does, however, put random shortcuts for 'AOL for Broadband' in your start menu and desktop.

i dont have AIM on this computer (i am at work currently), but when i get home i will post a screenshot of the option to turn off what is called the 'AIM Today' window when you sign into AIM...

Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger have the same 'option' (coincidently turned ON by default -_-) as well.

bigjoe
02-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Aim 5.5 is actually pretty cool. You can go invisoble. w00t.

I use trillian when I want to use less RAM but.. it crashes a lot -_-;

Gerudo
02-15-2004, 06:51 AM
BigJoe,
i havent checked yet, but is AIMutation compatible for newest version of AIM? if so, i might upgrade...

bigjoe
02-15-2004, 06:54 AM
BigJoe,
i havent checked yet, but is AIMutation compatible for newest version of AIM? if so, i might upgrade...

Nah. But they have a source forge page up for it, you can find it if you know where to look. Looks like whoever was the main programmer quit.