PDA

View Full Version : new aim 5.5

idontknow
02-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Has anyone upgraded their aim to version 5.5? i'm just wondering if anyone likes it--new features:
1. Allows you to have notifications on the taskbar that lets you know what someone is away, idle, logs on, or returns, even without having individual alerts to set a name
2. Perhaps the most noticeable, when you are sending messages to someone, there's a new "game" option where you can play single player games alone, or play a game with anyone on your buddy list! one of the best so far is Blasterball 2!
EDIT:
3. An option when editing the profile for "Clear Info" which basically deletes everything
4. A warning when looking at people's profiles that says "links may contain viruses or trojans"
5. If someone returns, it says in the dialogue box "<screen name> returned at <time>" as well as when someone puts an away message up, just like when someone logs on or signs off
6. A "sort group" option when right clicking on a folder in set-up buddy list mode which allows you to rearrange the screen names in alphabetical order
7. Screen Name LInking: Allows you to link a screen name so that when you log on to AIM as one name, you can send messages undermultiple identities, instead of switching a screen name, must enter in name & password under "manage link screen names" menu to do this

Melonhead
02-11-2004, 07:54 PM
I think Yahoo had that game option. I remember playing chess once.

But I personally use Trillian. It hasn't stopped working yet, so maybe the servers are still the same.

bigjoe
02-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Aim 5.5 is cool but I personally prefer Aimutation and an earlier version of AIM. Buddy aliasing, customization of screenname colors.

Pablo
02-11-2004, 08:42 PM
New AIM 5.5? Hardly...I've had it since mid-January. You should set your update settings to download new betas as well as full releases.

And yeah, it's cool. The alerts are nice, except when you're doing something else and they cover up a menu or something else. :shrug:

SSJ3500
02-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I myself find the alerts annoying at time, sure it's more noticable but it gets kinda annoying... As for the game options, they were there before, just now it's in the message area. Them moving the info onto the small bar and putting the game butting where it was is a bit hard to get used to. I think this update is pretty much a bad one.

Ich
02-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Sort group was around when you right clicked on a group name in the older version.

vegeta1215
02-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I was really mad when I found out that the newer versions of AIM play sound ads. At first it was freaky cause I didn't know where the sounds were coming from, but then it got annoying :mad:

I use Gaim. I can't live without tabbed iming.

Gerudo
02-11-2004, 10:55 PM
I second BigJoe, AIMutation is really a good addon, in my opinion its far better than DeadAIM...

www.aimutation.com , but make sure you have the proper aim version (i think its only 5.2 for now)

AtmaWeapon
02-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I got it because it had video chat and Yahoo was crashing like drunk people in commercials. I STILL have NEVER successfully connected to someone to transfer a file of any importance. Oh yeah, when someone wants to send me goatse as a joke, no problem boss! But when I want to see my girlfriend's face dear God no. And AOL forbid I ever want to send a file to someone.

Anyway, here's my evaluation of the "other" AIM programs.

Trillian: I WUV TRILLIAN. Except for the fact that the second day I used it, I told my girl I'd be online all night and to say hey to me. At about 11 she comes on and calls me a liar since I wasn't online. Turns out for 5 straight hours Trillian was having problems connecting to the AOL network, but told me it was connected and even kept my buddy list the same as when it lost contact. Trillian is now free space on my HD.

GAIM: There was an issue with GAIM last time I tried to install it. It seems that open source GTK is WAY better than using VB for Windows apps, because you avoid pesky DLL Hell. Except if you have MySQL installed on your computer, it changes a DLL that GAIM wants to be virgin and GAIM won't work. Rather than work on it themselves, the folks at GAIM's sourceforge site suggested we ask the MySQL crew to fix it. KTHXDIE.

I'm going to give those add-ons a look, now.

Monica
02-11-2004, 11:13 PM
I've had it for awhile with the beta and it's cool, except as someone else mentioned, the alerts interfere with other things. Anybody get one when using ZC? O_O But at least you can disable them... But it bugs me, I used to be able to disable the big popup window, but now I can't turn it off. Does anyone know how?

Melonhead
02-11-2004, 11:59 PM
I got it because it had video chat and Yahoo was crashing like drunk people in commercials. I STILL have NEVER successfully connected to someone to transfer a file of any importance. Oh yeah, when someone wants to send me goatse as a joke, no problem boss! But when I want to see my girlfriend's face dear God no. And AOL forbid I ever want to send a file to someone.

Anyway, here's my evaluation of the "other" AIM programs.

Trillian: I WUV TRILLIAN. Except for the fact that the second day I used it, I told my girl I'd be online all night and to say hey to me. At about 11 she comes on and calls me a liar since I wasn't online. Turns out for 5 straight hours Trillian was having problems connecting to the AOL network, but told me it was connected and even kept my buddy list the same as when it lost contact. Trillian is now free space on my HD.

GAIM: There was an issue with GAIM last time I tried to install it. It seems that open source GTK is WAY better than using VB for Windows apps, because you avoid pesky DLL Hell. Except if you have MySQL installed on your computer, it changes a DLL that GAIM wants to be virgin and GAIM won't work. Rather than work on it themselves, the folks at GAIM's sourceforge site suggested we ask the MySQL crew to fix it. KTHXDIE.

I'm going to give those add-ons a look, now.

About the problems with Trillian: AOL has pretty much stopped attempting to keep them out, so it should be fine now.(At least, I haven't noticed any problems using 2.0 pro.) The only problem that I have with it is sometimes IRC gets a little screwy, but not bad enough to make me ever want to go back.:D

Radium
02-12-2004, 12:06 AM
I've been using AIM 5.5 beta for the past few months it works great for me, I like it... I don't like Trillian at all, I have had nothing but trouble with that program. Someone needs to create an open source multi-chat program then I may think about using it.

Melonhead
02-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Uhh....GAIM?

Radium
02-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Uhh....GAIM?

Something better than that. lol ;)

vegeta1215
02-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Uhh....GAIM?

http://gaim.sourceforge.net

Goat
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I don't like teh new aim. It doesnt allow my aimutation to work with it, suxx0r. Anyone know where i can dl teh previous version? I couldnt find it on aim's website

AtmaWeapon
02-12-2004, 10:13 PM
You could always try www.oldversion.com

Goat
02-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Awesome! Thanks atma