PDA

View Full Version : Spam Mail at Yahoo

Cloral
02-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Been using Yahoo for close to 4 years now. In general their spam filter works pretty well (if not a little too well in some cases). However, one set of emails has consistantly made it past the filter and into my inbox. Even though the subject is different each time, they are obviously all from the same company, as they are all formatted in exactly the same way. They are for mortgages and loans, which makes me kinda wish I had the AOL 'blocked words' feature.

Anyway, I was wondering why Yahoo's spam filter doesn't catch these. Two possabilities came to mind. One, these guys know what algorithm Yahoo uses and use their own algorithm that is guaranteed to beat it. Or two, they are paying Yahoo to not filter their spam. Which makes you think - could it be that soon companies will pay email providers to allow them to bypass any filters and spam your inbox? Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid, but that certainly wouldn't be a good thing.

inori
02-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Solution: Write your own spam filter. Maybe the companies will pay you to get their mail past it, and maybe not... but either way, you win. :kawaii:

theplustwo
02-11-2004, 10:43 AM
My new webhost has a thing called Spam Assassin, which seems to work pretty good, especially since I set the amount of times an e-mail has to be flagged as spam before it's filtered to 1 instead of 5. So if anyone wants an @theplustwo.com e-mail, I have an infinite amount. :P

Cloral
02-11-2004, 05:19 PM
It isn't so much that I mind (it only takes a second to mark them as spam). I was just wondering why this particular group of spam consistantly arrives in my inbox.