PDA

View Full Version : The most amazing thing I've ever seen: Super Metroid speed run with 100% items

vegeta1215
02-10-2004, 01:09 AM
I thought the Quake 1 speed run my friend showed me was amazing - someone beat the entire game on Nightmare difficulty in like 12 minutes, or was it 20? I can't remember exactly. Anyways, I think this tops that. If you can manage the large downloads, you must watch this Super Metroid speed run with 100% item collection. The player finishes exactly in one hour!!! It's insane.

http://planetquake.com/sda/other/supermetroid.html

cap2030
02-10-2004, 02:11 AM
I saw the first part and was amazed.
I dont have the time to watch the rest but from part 1 I can gather how they do on other parts.

AlexMax
02-10-2004, 03:26 AM
OMG, he did NOT just walljump all the way up that corridor, did he?

Amazing....this is clearly superior Super Metroid skill. Kinda makes me wish I had a copy for my aging SNES...

Holy crap! This is 12 minutes shorter than the fastest speedrun I had seen previously.

In this vein, I once say a demo of someone beating Doom 2 in Nightmare mode, all 32 levels in one sitting. Took him about 50 minutes, and It was truely something epic to watch. And before you ask, it was studied and confirmed not to be tool assisted or spliced. The demo is mentioned in the following article:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/demos/demos07.php

You need

1. A copy of DOOM2 updated to v1.9
2. The actual demo
3. prBoom if you want to watch the video in a Windows native port of Doom.

For the record. Nightmare! is the hardest difficulty in Doom, which is similar to Ultra-Violence in terms of monster count, but in addition to this, monsters move twice as fast as they normally do and respawn about half a minute after you kill them. To compensate, you get twice as much ammo per weapon/ammo box (like in "I'm too young to die! difficulty") and damaging floors only do half damage (again, like in ITYTD).

And if you want something slightly faster, there are several demos around showing a 30 level runthrough in 'Ultra Violence' difficulty, I think the fastest of which is 23 minutes.

Warlock
02-10-2004, 04:30 AM
That was pretty cool.. he has some mad skills with the dash boots :D I love how he was fighting Kraid like 15 minutes into it, and killed him before the ceiling collapsed which screwed up the scrolling in the room! hahaha..

I'm terrible at doing 100% items in that game. I was watching the video and I kept saying, "There's an item there?!".. haha.. I always forget the damn things! Although I have done 100% items in less than 3 hours. That isn't all that hard. But yeah, I could never get a time remotely close to that one :)

Dart Zaidyer
02-10-2004, 07:58 AM
This sort of thing is nothing new, but the 1-hour timestamp is a new world record, shattering all that came before it.

www.metroid2002.com

This is the original mirror, which in my opinion is a lot more reliable. The rest of the site also contains a LOT of videos detailing speed runs of other Metroid games as well as how to break sequence. This also means massive spoilers, so be prepared.

Slider Zero
02-10-2004, 02:46 PM
I've seen it...and was both amazed and angered. Amazed because of the raw amount of skill used to pull it off...and angered because I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING THAT! (and I can very easily pull it off, too..) I plan on checking the rest of it out after english class, as I have 3 HRS. to burn anyway

Blonde799
02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
What I said throughout the whole hour was:
"There's an item there?!"
"There's an extra room there?!"
"There's an easy way to get that item?!"
"You can dash in ball form?!"
"Kraid's that easy to kill?!"
"Draygone's that easy to kill?!"
"That glitch exists?!"
"This is fucking insane."
"I should go to bed now.:p"

That was such a wake up call. I thought I was good, and then I see a video of someone getting 100%...in 1 hour! Well, I don't consider it 100% skill(obviously), but wow, that's awesome.:)

vegeta1215
02-10-2004, 05:41 PM
www.metroid2002.com

This is the original mirror, which in my opinion is a lot more reliable. The rest of the site also contains a LOT of videos detailing speed runs of other Metroid games as well as how to break sequence. This also means massive spoilers, so be prepared.

I got my downloads from Fileplanet. They went pretty fast.

www.metroid2002.com is an awesome site. I spent a good deal of time last week checking out all their Metroid Prime videos including the ones that show you how to get items way early and exploit all the glitches that the programmers didn't intend :D (like getting the Space Jump at the beginning of the game)

I've seen it...and was both amazed and angered. Amazed because of the raw amount of skill used to pull it off...and angered because I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING THAT! (and I can very easily pull it off, too..)

Same here. There are so many rooms in Super Metroid that I had trouble with (esp those that require some difficult jumps), but that guy's expert use of the wall jump, morph ball, and speed booster (to do those diagonal jumps) make it look all too easy.

What I'd really like to see is a video of someone doing a Metroid Fusion 1% game. I started to play a 1% game a while back, but couldn't beat the spider monster in the reactor (where you get the space jump afterwards) It's really hard.

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2004, 08:33 PM
I tried starting to do some of that stuff, but the biggest problem I have is I can't get the timing for the Mock Ball right. :(