PDA

View Full Version : Sales Figures 0f d00m!!!!1111oneoneone

Ian
02-05-2004, 04:25 PM
They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

NPD Data Reveals Nintendo #1 in Several Categories-

January 22, 2004 -- If awards were handed out today for the stars of the video game industry in 2003, Nintendo would walk home with an armful more than any other company. According to independent retail sales data just released by NPD Funworld, Nintendo was named No. 1 in the following categories by the nation's game players:

- No. 1 Selling System: Game Boy® Advance, with 8.1 million sold in 2003 alone

- No. 1 Fastest-Growing System: Nintendo GameCube™, with a 40 percent unit sales increase over 2002 (compared to a 25 percent decline for Sony's PlayStation 2, and flat sales for Microsoft's Xbox)

- No. 1 Fastest-Growing Game Seller: Nintendo GameCube, with a 77 percent unit sales increase over 2002

- No. 1 Hit Maker: Four of the year's top seven sellers played only on Nintendo (Pokémon® Ruby and Pokémon® Sapphire for Game Boy Advance; The Legend of Zelda®: The Wind Waker™ and Mario Kart®: Double Dash!!™ for Nintendo GameCube)

- No. 1 Sales Growth: Corporate retail revenues increased 16 percent over 2002

- No. 1 Landmark: Game Boy Advance just sold its 20 millionth system in America!

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1487320,00.asp

(They also have some PS2 stuff there too)

Pablo
02-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I can't believe they counted Ruby and Sapphire as different games...

mr.Descer
02-05-2004, 06:43 PM
...but ruby and sapphire are different games.

Way to go Nintendo! ^_^

Pablo
02-05-2004, 07:32 PM
I consider them to be basically the same game, but whatever. The sales figures aren't too surprising, although the Gamecube stat is misleading: it implies that Gamecube is in the lead, while I'm pretty sure that it's still in 3rd.

Cloral
02-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Well then, the fact that even though they are basically the same game they both placed in the top 7 is that much more impressive.

Rainman
02-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Bah, "fastest-growing" has always seemed to me to be a slap in the face. It's almost like they are saying. "You're getting there, buddy, just keep trucking" A couple of the other categories seems like dumb ones as well.

phattonez
02-06-2004, 12:14 AM
I thought Gamecube and Xbox were about even. And to think that IGN didn't like Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Fire them all.

The stat about PS2 sales falling and Xbox's staying level just show saturation. People still like PS2 but the market has been saturated. It seems to me that Xbox is losing its popularity. Both Xbox's and PS2's console sales are gonna get a sharper fall I predict.

People are starting to realize that Nintendo has inginuity while other companies just have games for more adult audiences. With all of the new things that Nintendo is coming out with, the old days may soon be back.