PDA

View Full Version : Tycho Bitch Slaps IGN

Warlock
02-04-2004, 05:30 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/

LMAO.. just read the whole news post by Tycho and the one right after that (Mary Jane's response). This is why I love Penny Arcade. IGN has been absolutely terrible with their reviews lately, at least of GC games. I mean, I think most everyone saw their craptacular Mario Kart: DD review. But yeah, it's about time crap was said about this ;) I read the review and for a split second, contemplated not preordering FF:CC. Then I remembered this was IGN and figured they were probably wrong yet again ;) But yeah, this line was great:

You're then ranked according to how well you did satisfying your directive, which determines who gets "first dibs" on any of these bonuses. There is typically plenty for everybody. This is where things get bizarre and unfair, apparently, when you are recognized based explicitly on your performance. If "merit" is suddenly a distasteful method for justifying reward, then I'm not sure what to say to that. I guess I'm sorry that everybody doesn't get a hug at the end of the level. Jesus Christ.

Radium
02-04-2004, 05:36 PM
I still remember the days of www.n64.com! Those were the days. Then they joined IGN and formed www.ign64.com and it all went down hill from there. :( That used to be my favourite website, it's sad really.

Warlock
02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Yeah.. actually I don't have a problem w/ IGN Pocket. They usually seem good with their reviews. But IGN Cube almost seems to be full of GC haters or something. They are always giving the good games shitty scores and vice versa (seriously, Star Fox Adventures, 9.0!?).

Tygore
02-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I just read that. Tycho is now my favorite source for game reviews.

Cloral
02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
What I like about Penny Arcade is they don't try to color their reviews based on what they think other people want to play. They simply say whether they enjoyed the game or not, and why. This sort of straight-up honesty makes their reviews more enjoyable to read. Not to mention the fact that they're free, and you get a funny comic 3 times a week.

Warlock
02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
What I like about Penny Arcade is they don't try to color their reviews based on what they think other people want to play. They simply say whether they enjoyed the game or not, and why. This sort of straight-up honesty makes their reviews more enjoyable to read. Not to mention the fact that they're free, and you get a funny comic 3 times a week.

Yup ;) Plus they import quite a bit, so you can find out about this stuff before it comes out (another thing I noticed about IGN.. whenever they do talk about imports, they praise the games to hell. Then when the English version comes out, it gets a shitty review.. nice IGN.. way to be consistant.. I'm sure being able to read the game made it SO much worse than not being able to read it)

Petoe
02-04-2004, 08:04 PM
What the heck are you complaining about? Nintendo's quality has just gone down. StarFox Adventures is a crappy game, Mario Kart: DD!! is a crappy game, Wind Waker is not that good... they all deserved their "bad" score, and brilliant games like Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe and Eternal Darkness deserved their fantastic scores. IGNCube is one of the GCN-friendliest places on earth, and they make the best and fairest reviews I've seen anywhere. Only thing I hate about that site is the Insider crap... Oh well, nothing's perfect...

vegeta1215
02-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Ummm, Petoe, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker got a well deserved 9.6 from IGN. :D

IGN reviews are okay, and I like to read them cause they go in depth on a lot of aspects of a game that other reviews don't, but sometimes it feels like they didn't play through the game much or didn't see what really made the game good or bad. Mario Kart: Double Dash is a great example. Thankfully Penny Arcade stepped up to the plate and gave them a good smack in the mouth. I haven't played Crystal Chronicles yet, but I trust Penny Arcade a lot more than I trust IGN.

Warlock
02-04-2004, 10:04 PM
What the heck are you complaining about? Nintendo's quality has just gone down. StarFox Adventures is a crappy game, Mario Kart: DD!! is a crappy game, Wind Waker is not that good... they all deserved their "bad" score, and brilliant games like Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe and Eternal Darkness deserved their fantastic scores. IGNCube is one of the GCN-friendliest places on earth, and they make the best and fairest reviews I've seen anywhere. Only thing I hate about that site is the Insider crap... Oh well, nothing's perfect...

Umm:

1.) Star Fox Adventures was done by RARE, not Nintendo.. and it got a GOOD score, not the bad score it deserved
2.) The rest of those games were great
3.) What vegeta said

Tygore
02-05-2004, 09:44 PM
In conclusion: pwned.

It's come to where I don't even trust companiess/corporations for reviews anymore. This includes magazines, even my personal favorite, Game Informer. I would much rather rely on the reviews of PA/people I know (both in real life and here).

zfreak2004
02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree. Most gaming media has gone downhill... the only mag that I trust as far as reviews go is EGM... but my subscription ran out and i don't really have the money to re subscribe... I love Penny Arcade... a voice of sanity and reality... I used to love IGN... but with the advent of IGN-Insider, things just got worse and worse... btw, if you still want good GameCube coverage, Planet GameCube is pretty good and thusfar, uncorrupted.

EDIT: 700 Posts. w00t!!!

Rainman
02-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Yea, I never look at IGN anymore, but that's mostly because of all the damn advertising all over the place. Penny-Arcade really probably is the only source of video game news that I need.