PDA

View Full Version : Legoman action!

AtmaWeapon
01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
I was inspired by the breakdancing action figures on the Something Awful forums, so I went out and bought a Lego set yesterday. It is a Rebel Snowspeeder from Star Wars. I made the animated GIF presented below to see if I sucked at the animation or not. While it's not breakdancing, it's still kind of cool.

I also took pictures of the snowspeeder as it was being built. Built by the lego men. You just have to see it, but it's going to be a while before I format and upload all of them. For now, check out the GIF.

Be warned, Filesize is > 500KB (http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/legoman1.gif)

Pablo
01-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Nice. Stop-motion animation must be really irritating to perfect, but you've done a pretty damned good job of it.

Ian
01-30-2004, 11:37 PM
I like the head part, and when he wabbles over......and when he hits the camera. Scratch that, though whole thing is awesome. Great job, must be tedious to do though.

AtmaWeapon
01-30-2004, 11:53 PM
It actually didn't take that long. The snowspeeder took a while, but the results are cool. Glad to see someone liked it. I'm going to make something major soon, but I'm not sure what.

Archibaldo
01-31-2004, 09:10 AM
wow! that was simple yet pretty awsome. but also im intruiged to know how you did it.

Dracula
01-31-2004, 02:40 PM
I remember doing something like that a couple of years ago... I think it was the Lego version of Metal Gear Solid... It took over two weeks (half of it was mostly making the Metal Gear itself) to finish, and I ended up giving the video to one of my friends (he's totally nuts for MGS). Still, yours is pretty sweet. The guy wobbling to fetch his legs, then punching the camera... very nice touch.

Fatty Lumpkin
01-31-2004, 03:12 PM
lol that's sweet

AtmaWeapon
01-31-2004, 05:31 PM
I didn't even realize he had detachable arms until today; I could have added to it. Unfortunately, animated gifs are really limited and more frames = HUGE filesize.

[quote]but also im intruiged to know how you did it.[quote]

I'm going to tell you in Visual Basic .NET.

Dim finished As Boolean
finished =False

While Not Finished
positionLegoMan()
takePicture()
End While

profit()

Ich
01-31-2004, 10:50 PM
I think png files set to some compression can be animated and be smaller.

AtmaWeapon
01-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Really? Can anyone else verify this? I'm interested in doing a lot more, but a lot of people are having trouble viewing them because of filesize. Not to mention this image is accounting for 11% of my current bandwidth usage on my site LOL.

Melonhead
01-31-2004, 11:16 PM
PNG is a single-image format, because when it was created(due to patent restrictions on GIFs and such)the animation feature of GIFs was not used that much(funny how these things work, isn't it?). What ICHBINDASWALROSS is referring to is MNG. Unfortunately, there are some problems with this format.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MNG has some more info on it, but the short story is it was really only supported in Mozilla and Konqueror, and then Mozilla removed support. Right now you need a Firebird plugin to view them.

AtmaWeapon
02-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Well if I do this a lot, then maybe I finally have an excuse to put the money into Flash LOL.

J.J. Maxx
02-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I guess JJ has to make one now with his legos. ;)

Great job, skipper.

War Lord
02-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Use Windows Movie Maker(assuming you have Windows XP) and just make a WMV.

AtmaWeapon
02-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm going to look at it, but so far I've been disappointed with WMM. I'd love to be able to drag all my pictures in there and then tell it the delay between each of them, but I have to manually adjust the time for each frame. Bummer.