PDA

View Full Version : ...Eureka! Potential tic length discovery.

ShadowTiger
01-27-2004, 04:44 PM
While fiddling around with the intro to... a personal project of mine, I think I figured out the actual length of a tic. There's some math involved, which I hate, so bear with me now.

Alright. The second screen of my quest, is a screen with those 3 rotating Triforces (ripped by Sludge.) with the Z3 Flute Boy's song playing in the background. That song's length, is 43 "Midi Tics." .. call them whatever you want.

So that plays for about 750 tics, and Insta-warps (Via the timed side warp feature, as you all well know.) to a screen playing something else. Doesn't matter what.

So apparently, I have found the actual time that 750 tics is. Judging from the length of the midi, that it was 43 tics long, and the screen was 750 tics, and it warped AT THE END OF THE SONG, ... however long that midi was in seconds, that's how long 750 tics is/are.

Of course, that's if you don't skip ahead by pressing v. ;)

Dart Zaidyer
01-27-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty sure one second is equal to 120 tics. It was mentioned at the dawn of beta 182, I think.

*b*
01-27-2004, 08:12 PM
I thought DN said it was 60 tics = 1 second

ShadowTiger
01-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'll upload a demo of my quest, and you can see what I've done. :p That should prove it.

DarkFlameWolf
01-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Conspiracy! o.O

Praethus
01-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Actually, the speed of tics varies slightly from computer to computer. I believe 1 tic = 1 frame of animation. On average, ZC runs at about 60 fps I believe. This would imply that 60 tics = 1 sec. Again, I think the fps rate varies slightly from system to system, so it is not an exactly science. The length of a tic depends on your system.

Freedom
01-28-2004, 02:52 AM
I believe the Hrz is also a factor.

Cloral
01-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Hz = frequency. :p

jman2050
01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm more concerned with the fact that the tic counter continues to move while in the subscreen... trust me, I've tested it. Don't know if it's a bug or not, but it's really annoying in places where I need to switch weapons constantly (Petoe's quest comes to mind -_- )

Petoe
01-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by jman2050
I'm more concerned with the fact that the tic counter continues to move while in the subscreen... trust me, I've tested it. Don't know if it's a bug or not, but it's really annoying in places where I need to switch weapons constantly (Petoe's quest comes to mind -_- )
I just realized that myself too! The time is running out and when you have to stop to change your weapon and the time's still running... BOOM!!!
That's unfair... :pirate:

ShadowTiger
02-23-2004, 01:01 PM
<SLIGHT BUMP> (3 weeks isn't too bad. ;) )

Alright. We have confirmation. BigJoe, tell 'em.

bigjoe
02-23-2004, 01:07 PM
<SLIGHT BUMP> (3 weeks isn't too bad. ;) )

Alright. We have confirmation. BigJoe, tell 'em.

Unless BH4's computer and mine are running Zelda Classic at the exact same speed, then BH4's discoveries are correct.

I tested his quest, and the timed warp executes EXACTLY when it should.

ShadowTiger
02-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Yep. Thank you once more, BigJoe, for your great testing! :ooh: Once more, this does work. Maybe the ratio actually is correct. But we should do some more testing. See if this still makes sense to you guys.

Alright. The second screen of my quest, is a screen with those 3 rotating Triforces (ripped by Sludge.) with the Z3 Flute Boy's song playing in the background. That song's length, is 43 "Midi Tics." .. call them whatever you want.

So that plays for about 750 tics, and Insta-warps (Via the timed side warp feature, as you all well know.) to a screen playing something else. Doesn't matter what.

So apparently, I have found the actual time that 750 tics is. Judging from the length of the midi, that it was 43 tics long, and the screen was 750 tics, and it warped AT THE END OF THE SONG, ... however long that midi was in seconds, that's how long 750 tics is/are.

Of course, that's if you don't skip ahead by pressing v or F1 to mess with Vsync.. ;)

EDIT: Of course, you should know that I'm no genious. I came across this by mistake, due to a random tic length input, which just happened to be exact. .. well, good for me, and good for you! :ooh: So just because I found something which worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you. But of course, there is also the fact to consider that I was working in terms of the midi song's length counter. During that Flute Song, while playing it in the midi import screen, it went something like ... 1 2 3 ..... 7 8 9.. 12 13 14 .. etc.. But it DID skip when necessary. So its counter may not have been completely correct, although I judge that by the count, it may be correct yet. .... In summary, you may be able to ignore this addition. .. hopefully, that is.

jman2050
02-23-2004, 02:32 PM
You still haven't told us how long in seconds he MIDI was. If my guess is correct, it should probably be exactly 12 1/2 seconds.

ShadowTiger
02-23-2004, 03:10 PM
That song's length, is 43 "Midi Tics." Bottom of the first paragraph. ;)

Arathorn21st
02-23-2004, 04:42 PM
During that Flute Song, while playing it in the midi import screen, it went something like ... 1 2 3 ..... 7 8 9.. 12 13 14 .. etc.. But it DID skip when necessary.

When a MIDI holds out a note with no changes whatsoever (and I think the Flute Song is just one instrument, so this probably happens,) the MIDI counter in ZQuest doesn't move on until there's a change in the note. It's weird, but it doesn't screw up the timing.

bigjoe
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Bottom of the first paragraph. ;)

I think he means the actual play time. Like, how many seconds it would play if you opened it up in a media player.

EWild
02-23-2004, 05:41 PM
We want proof! Or at least a demo of this discovery! :D

Please?

ShadowTiger
02-23-2004, 06:21 PM
When a MIDI holds out a note with no changes whatsoever (and I think the Flute Song is just one instrument, so this probably happens,) the MIDI counter in ZQuest doesn't move on until there's a change in the note. It's weird, but it doesn't screw up the timing.

Good to know. Thank you. ;) Very helpful, Arathorn.

BigJoe, is there a chance you can give the "Demo" to EWild? I don't happen to have a copy here for upload.. And even if I did, where would I put it? :shrug: