PDA

View Full Version : Best message boards to use?

Blonde799
01-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm looking to manage a message board. It is ZC related, but I'm not starting my own fan board;this is for something specific. When I did a search on message boards to use, ezboard came up first. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what kind of boards I should go to in terms of creating one for myself.

What I'm looking for in a board(but may not be possible):
-Free use(obviously, but if better ones exist for $$, I might consider it)
-Ease of use(I completely unlearned HTML a year ago lol)
-Customization of a file hosting space(I know this won't be free)
-Ability to use attachments

That's all I'm looking for. I hope someone can help me with this.:)

ShadowTiger
01-24-2004, 09:24 PM
I would use Invisionfree. Ignore any Hype that you hear, and dig in. They've got AMAZING documentation for virtually everything that you could imagine.

If you need any help, I would be more than happy to help set things up. :)

Paradox
01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
if you've got cash (which you don't really) then use vBulletin. Otherwise, look at Invision (it has good admin features) and pbpBB. not any of that ezboard trash.

Gerudo
01-25-2004, 04:09 AM
i, myself, am very biased toward Invision... like Pdox said, has good admin features, good custimization options, and is all an around good bboard system...

vB leaves a large hole in your pocket... Invision, however, is starting to charge, but the free 'trial' version just says 'trial version' in the admin CP... so its not tattoed on it...

Raichu86
01-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I'd have to say Invision Power Board, as well. The only benefits you get from purchasing is professional support and the ability to remove the copyright from the bottom, so you're not going to be stuck with a limited piece of crap if you go with it.

But if you don't want to have any reason to pay, phpBB is good and popular. I used it until a bug (now fixed) in PHP and phpBB's POST method wiped out most of my forums database. I'd go back if I'd not grown to like Invision Power Board so much.

Banedon
01-25-2004, 06:02 PM
My favorite board software is the little-known Acmlmboard, but it's one of the hardest to use from an administrative standpoint.

Blonde799
01-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok, Invision it is. Thanks for the input guys, and no, I won't advertise my board in my sig.:blah: