PDA

View Full Version : im getting dsl

michael9824
01-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Im getting dsl soon.

Isnt there anything im susposed to know about it? Is it good or bad? Im getting Sprint Fast Connect DSL. I heard someone got a 100$ phone bill for dsl??

mikeron
01-22-2004, 11:32 PM
DSL kicks ass, but the performance goes down with distance from the switch. DSL doesn't involve dialing into places, so the $100 was probably just service charges. :shrug:

vegeta1215
01-23-2004, 01:11 AM
It depends on the kind of DSL you have. We have PPPoE DSL (stands for something protocol on ethernet I think), and originally the software that came with it had a sort of "dial-up" up program for Windows. But, we got a Linksys router which is set up to "dial-up" through our DSL modem and keep the connection alive. Now we can plug any computer into it and have it pick up the connection via DHCP. It's pretty sweet :D

Kamaria
01-23-2004, 03:06 PM
I keep having a script kiddie trying to hack into my computer. I have cable at home, and they can't change my IP (yes, I tried asking them to do that) because my service is cable and changing the IP address would alter the entire neighborhood.

They might have been able to do it if it were DSL because there's only one connection.

DSL is better...because DSL doesn't share connections with your neighborhood. There's a higher connection speed as a result depending on how many people use cable in your area.

Ich
01-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Once you get it working, I predict that you'll love it and never ever want to go back. Like Jesus, after having found salvation, to lose it is like death, only your pageloads are slower.