PDA

View Full Version : How do Link Tiles work in the newest betas?

Dart Zaidyer
01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
This is something I've been wondering for a while ever since the not-working menu appeared in the current public betas: How do Link Tiles work?
So far I've only seen descriptions for the new feature where any equipment Link can get can affect his appearance rather than just shields.
What I want to know is, is it or will it be possible to define Link's animations just like a sprite or item? Could I, for example, give him 8 frames of walking instead of just two or three? Can he actually have a graphic when he gets hurt? Can I give him 5 or 6 frames of animation for using the sword, rather than just 1 or 2?

This sort of information is something to consider, so I and anyone else interested can be ready for the next version of ZC.

mikepjr2
01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
That is somthing id like to know as well.

bigjoe
01-20-2004, 01:55 AM
The feature is unfinished. What can be done with it is at this point unknown. Just hope for the best.

C-Dawg
01-20-2004, 02:39 AM
What is SUPPOSED to happen is that every piece of equipment (and item, I gather) has a "link offset." You choose a place to start your link tiles, or use the same ol' spot at the start of your tile-list, one of the two. Now, if you have no items, the game just looks at where you specified Link's tiles to start from for his animation, like it always did.

BUT if you have items, the game will find the sum of all of the offsets and display link tiles starting from (The position you specified) + the total offset.

So if Link has nothing, he's naked and his tiles start 0 tiles away from the one you started on. If he has a shield with offset 40, the game will look forty tiles below (that's two rows down in the tile editor, peeps) for the start of Link's tiles. If you had the Magical Boner (with offset 80) instead, the game would look down four rows. If you had BOTH of these items, the game would look down 40+80=120 tiles, or six rows down.

This system has alot of promise, though you'd have to know something about prime number systems if you wanted to make Link's tiles work so that he looked differently with many different item combinations.

Last I heard, this was implemented, but I might be wrong.

-C

Blonde799
01-20-2004, 02:42 AM
It's implemented in the private betas, but it only affects 80% of link's tiles, and the rule isn't present.

*b*
01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I think they're asking about the Quest > Graphics > Sprites > Link, where it shows how link will be animated. it dosen't work. it animates at an insane rate of speed, and it dosen't change link's sprites when you change the animation rule (normal > BS). so far, that's ALL it does. you can't change what tiles Link uses :(

but your idea is great! the menu could have a page for each combination (sp?) of items. like, the first page is just normal tiles, the next is equipped with magic shield, with all the variable tiles (magic shield + boots, ect...), then it goes onto the next page with Mirrior Shield (same variable system applies), untill all the item combos are covered!

and C, the Link Tile mod is implimented

ShadowTiger
01-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Yep, I've seen screenshots of it in action. (A Link, with the Bow, is awesome. ;) )

But my question to you, about Mod tiles, is how are the tiles layed out to be affected? I mean, what happens when you've also got the shield tiles? Like.. .. so they would only affect the bottom row of Link tiles?

mikepjr2
01-21-2004, 02:51 PM
can i see the screen shot
i like screen shots

mikepjr2
01-21-2004, 02:59 PM
can i see the screen shot
i like screen shots

*b*
01-21-2004, 04:09 PM
there's nothing really to see. just go to Quest > Graphics > Sprites > Link. that's what BH4 is talking about. though, as far as I know, you can't edit what he looks like with the bow and all that