PDA

View Full Version : Controlable raft?

Zelda_Warrior
01-17-2004, 07:29 PM
I have a quest and in it I want Link to be able to control his raft. Is there any way to do it in 1.90?

Freedom
01-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Flag # 12, raft branch

eatyourneighbors
01-17-2004, 10:45 PM
i have a solution that actually worked pretty well - make the flippers a raft, then make the swim tiles link paddeling a raft. i used this, and it actually looks really cool, and it frees you up to use raft and raft paths for other interesting things such as tunnels and pipes and things like that.

C-Dawg
01-21-2004, 07:06 PM
If you use nothing but Flag 12 flags (And the dock of course) can you create totally controllable rafting? With the understanding that Link will keep moving until he hits a dock, of course.

-C

ShadowTiger
01-22-2004, 09:08 AM
True, but what if you sail into a dead end? Where there is a single point of Flag F12, and you sail into it. Do you continue along the path without any control, or do you turn around and go back to the path?

.. And suppose you sail FROM a raft / raft flag, onto empty space without a raft flag, then sails onto a raft flag automatically? is that even possible?

Verbatim
01-22-2004, 05:19 PM
It would be interesting to see what might happen if you did send Link to a dead end...I'm not sure how the game might handle that.

You can't normally exit from the raft unless there's a dock, I believe...I guess I've never tried abusing that as much as you could, but I know for a fact I've crashed the game by trying to do some funky warping while rafting before--I think a scrolling side-warp can work, but it doesn't take well to a non-scrolling one.

idontknow
01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
i think if you have a raft flag (#8) go onto a walkable area, piece of land, that is NOT A DOCK COMBO, then all that happens is link exits the raft, as usual, but he cannot get back on the raft from that piece of land, since its not a dock combo--i'm not sure about a path that is absolutely a dead end (meaning the path goes to an area that is not walkable or a dock combo)--i'm guessing that he just gets stuck in one spot and stays on the raft but keeps walking

Zelda_Warrior
02-04-2004, 06:06 PM
It won't work if you fill the screen with raft branch. I tried tinkeirng around with many ideas but none worked.

Verbatim
02-05-2004, 06:13 PM
It depends on what your definition of working is...you can go just about anywhere with your raft, though you can usually exit only on a dock....if you made the shore tiles into "dock"-type combos, and covered them all with raft flags, and the water with raft-branch flags, you would be able to get in and out at any point, and change the raft direction frequently (that is, once per combo). It doesn't look pretty, though, since you can't stop, and can only turn right or left once per combo, rather than whenever.

Kirbwarrior
02-10-2004, 04:26 PM
I like the flipper idea. That lets you have a raft combo for things like fast moving rivers.
I'll have to use that.

Cloral
02-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Rafts are actually great for one-way passages like jumping off cliffs. Just make sure you make the raft invisible and that Link starts the game with it. You'll also want to disable secret sounds on any screen that uses this. And be careful about how Link is able to enter the start of the path - if he can enter halfway between two tiles, you'll get the fun raft bug. And make sure that the end is a definate point. If you have 2 jumpable cliffs side-by-side, Link will end up going in circles.

Freedom
02-10-2004, 11:13 PM
I tried the raft thing for cliffs, there are better ways for sure.
the raft is too slow, makes him look like he's floating, and his legs are "walking"
looks awful, and no shadow.
better to use combo cycling or successive screens for that.

jackiechad
02-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Something I've done is create a loop so that if you choose the wrong branch you come right back to the starting point... eventually. Dead end problem solved and the player is ready to start the maze again. Hope that's useful.

QUESTMAKER
02-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey,
Maybe Look For It On One Of Their Examples.
They cloned zelda. the nes didn't have it, either.

Request It In Their Next Version and maybe they'll implement it.

(Email Them or something.)
Here Is A Site: Click Here (http://www.purezc.com/)

Lonemind
02-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I thought of this too and was thinking that Link'd be floating out in the oacean but could control where he went. Something I figured (didn't test it) would work was to fill the screen with Raft Branch Flags and then line the sides of the screen with Raft Path Flags. Make each screen you want him to be able to move around in like this. Then when you come to a shoreline or something similar you could make the shore be just a bunch of Docks and Dock Flags with Raft Path Flags nearby to prevent any mis-guidings.