PDA

View Full Version : Pc Problem

mike5000
01-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I am having a big problem with my computer. I seem to get ALOT of unresponsivness. When I try to open anything, (like IE) the computer hangs. (not freezes) Opening and closing my cd-rom drive seems to be the only way to force the programs to open!

I am using Windows XP, the problem started about 3 weeks ago. I tried system restore but all 15 of the restore points failed!! I ran virus scans got rid of all viruses, ran trojan scans, rid of those! and im still getting this problem!

If anybody could help me out that would be great!

VEL
01-17-2004, 08:15 PM
I had some problems with the computer I'm using and it had to do with the cd drive. After the cd drive was disconnected there was no more problems, I guess something was wrong with it. You could try disconnecting it to see if it helps.

slothman
01-17-2004, 08:35 PM
I didn't install my copy of XP yet but what is a "restore point?" Does each point just restore different things like the registry and DLLs?
P.S. As for the question, did you install any hardware of software? Or do you have any weird programs you run or pieces or hardware that you have installed?

Ich
01-17-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm going to make the obligatory post.

You're using Windows XP? That's your problem.

---

In seriousness, you're probably better off with WinXP professional or Win2k, what I'm using.

Fatty Lumpkin
01-18-2004, 12:30 AM
From what I've heard, windows restore doesn't restore all the windows files, so if they're messed up, you're screwed. (gotta reinstall windows)

Kirby of Doom
01-18-2004, 12:19 PM
How long has it been since your last full restore? After a while (especially if you download lots of stuff and change settings a lot) Windows gets really screwed up. You might want to consider making a backup of all your important stuff and then clear the harddrive and reinstall Windows. It's really annoying, but might help a lot.

mike5000
01-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Yeah.... I dont know how it got that way.. Generally I take good care of my comp. Backing up my files can be the hard part though. I got a 80 GIG HD almost full, with everything i want to keep. Also lots of 'custom' router settings, I just gotta find another way..

Update: I tried disabling cd-drives to no avail....

Gerudo
01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
i tell you, this is no lie...

the computer at my work is an old p233 i think... anyways, it has win95 and whatnot on it, so blah...

one week it was VERY unresponsive, as in, id try to load up IE, and it would just THINK, and THINK... well..., i managed to download Spybot and Ad-Aware to it, and ran both, and got rid of all that shit...

now the comp runs excellently... well, for a p233 :shrug:

try scanning with spybot and ad-aware (a combination of the both is a plus), and see what happens...

btw, mike just so you know, a virus scan and a spyware scan are different... spyware can slow your comp up jsut as much as trojans/virii...

Rainman
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
You know comp stats are always a nice thing to have when diagnosing computer problems. I think giving us yours would be to your advantage.

mike5000
01-19-2004, 02:35 PM
I think its fixed! I found an old restore point from a few months ago and tried it. Even though the restore "failed" it still brought back ALOT of old files, and seemed to have fixed it :D

I do have spybot S&D but at the time I coulnt get it to run. now im all back up and can get my comp back in good shape!

Thanks for all the help. I really appreaciate it!